Replacement Trailer Tires for Casita.....

Vladimir

LT tires of the same size as ST tires often have lower maximum weight ratings. An LT tire with the same weight rating as your current ST tires may be larger in diameter or wider or both. Check the weight ratings of LT tires and the dimensions. Then check to make sure there is enough room between tires if it is a dual axle trailer and in the wheel wells, both height and width. One of the big complaints about ST tires is that they are speed rated at 65 MPH. The Goodyear Endurance and Carlisle Radial Trail HD are both speed rated at 87-89 MPH.  I believe they are both made in the US. I have had both in ST225-75R/15 Load Range E and gotten good service from both. The Goodyear Endurance is a relatively newer product and there have been some reports of cracking in tires over four years old. It is my understanding that the Goodyear Endurance is currently hard to get and that production is scheduled to resume in February.

8 hours ago, Vladimir said:

I have read in this forum that your better off with light truck tires rather than trailer tires.

ST vs. LT Tires: What’s the Difference?

I have had excellent service from Goodyear Endurance tires on my 20' travel trailer. 

Edited by Kirk W

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

LT tires have lighter sidewalls than ST tires. ST tires have thicker, heavier sidewalls because they must withstand the extreme stress' of tight turns encountered with tandem axles. Most ST tire mfgrs. also say to inflate their tires to sidewall listed pressure for the same reason.

For complete information visit rvtiresafety.net. The website owner and author of the articles is Roger Marble, a retired tire design and safety engineer.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Thanks Ray I was going to give that answer. So with a small single axle trailer it makes no difference. With my fivers I was careful not to jackknife to park too much on pavement as I had LT tires on both. 

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Thanks for the info.

My issue is since I tow my Casita with a 1-ton truck, it is handy having tires rated for going over 65 MPH.

Likewise, I don't need the load capacity since the trailer is so light.

I will look for higher speed rated tires and not look at the ST or LT difference.  

Does that make sense?

Vladimr Steblina

Retired Forester...exploring the public lands.

usbackroads.blogspot.com

4 hours ago, Vladimir said:

Does that make sense?

That would depend on how fast you tow the Casita. Since it is also a single axle trailer that might be a good plan if plan to tow at more than 65 mph. 

I really can go at any speed....but mostly hang around the speed limit or below.  I REALLY miss the 55 MPH limit.

BUT in many states  NOW 80 MPH......So if your flowing with traffic......85 MPH plus. 

I don't tow in summer so avoid the heat buildup issue with tires.......

Looks like I will focus on a speed rating of the tires rather than ST or LT. 

OK...next question...balancing.  Doesn't matter because nobody is riding back there??  But I am tired of picking stuff off the floor!!

Vladimr Steblina

Retired Forester...exploring the public lands.

usbackroads.blogspot.com

IMO balancing is important. Even though the trailer is unoccupied, unbalanced tires affect tire wear, and as  you said the trailer contents react to the transmitted motion. For the small cost, balancing should be included in the installation procedure.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Interesting article, but not sure how practical rebalancing and rotating trailer tires every 3000 miles is. Rebalancing requires visiting a tire shop. Cross rotating the tires as described in the article requires having all four tires off the ground at once (how many shops have the equipment to do this?) or putting the spare on one wheel and moving the jack to the other side of the trailer so that the tires could be cross rotated from side to side. In a typical cross country round trip, I would have to stop at least once to to rebalance and rotate tires.

I have routinely had the tires on my cars and trucks rotated, but can not recall ever having had a recommendation to rebalance them at each rotation.  Given that the recommendation to replace trailer tires every 3-5 years is pretty standard how important is increasing tread mileage life? Absent other problems, I have typically put 15,000-20,000 miles on trailer tires with no issues before replacing them at 4 years of age.

Rotating trailer tires is a waste of time and money, unless you are getting uneven wear.  If the wear is uneven, you have a trailer axle of load distribution problem.  By all means, a trailer tire should be balanced.

Trailer tires typically age-out long before they wear out.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

51 minutes ago, trailertraveler said:

I have routinely had the tires on my cars and trucks rotated, but can not recall ever having had a recommendation to rebalance them at each rotation.

I do also and the I bought the tires from Discount Tire and they rotate and balance them every time at any of their stores, on the truck & car. I'm not so sure about the travel trailer as it is a single axle and I've never taken it in for that. I may have to ask them. Like you, I have never had the trailer tires rotated or balanced nor have I done so myself and for the same reasons,

9 hours ago, TXiceman said:

Rotating trailer tires is a waste of time and money, unless you are getting uneven wear.  If the wear is uneven, you have a trailer axle of load distribution problem.  By all means, a trailer tire should be balanced.

Trailer tires typically age-out long before they wear out.

Ken

👍