Documentation binder for the LEO if stopped

MidKam1

Just completed our first rally (2021 National HDT Rally in Hutchinson) while full-timing in our new rig (Volvo 730 - DRV Dallas).  A couple of the members, like Larry W., showed me a nice 3-ring binder of documents they were prepared to hand to any officer who might stop them while on the road.  I didn't get a chance to ask Larry for a contents list.  His binder had the normal registration, license, insurance information.  But, he had also included other documents such Federal and State excerpts showing motorhome/HDT waivers, etc.

Can anyone fill me in what documents to include in my binder and where to find the information?  Seems like a very good thing to have at the ready - just in case.

You named the main points.  Find individual state info in the Resource Guide.

I've had a Texas Highway Patrol officer thank me for having info handy for him.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

I have all the registration, license, insurance information plus went on my state DOT site and made copy's of all the pages that covered license that is required to drive a recreational vehicle and what equipment is required to be licensed as an recreational vehicle. High lighted the sections that applied so they are easy to find. Knock on wood I have never been stopped, hope I am prepared if it happens.

2000 Volvo VNL 610

2011 Cedar Creek 36RE

I happened to keep the purchase paperwork in the binder as well, for no reason.  It came in handy when I moved to a new state and wanted to prove I paid less than book value.  Just a suggestion.

Kevin and June

2013 Volvo VNL 730    D13 Eco-Torque @ 425  Ratio 2.47 

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

Signature.jpegmKgUJbbl.jpg

I keep the same kind of binder in my commercial truck as I do my HDT. It's real simple. 

Get a binder and a few of the clear 3 ring sleeves. Each page has its own thing. Truck registration on one then trailer registration then insurance cards. In the HDT I have a print out from the DMV of the requirements to do a RV conversion. On the last page is where I keep track of oil changes. It is a total of 5 pages. That is literally all there is to it. 

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

1 hour ago, jenandjon said:

I keep the same kind of binder in my commercial truck as I do my HDT. It's real simple. 

Get a binder and a few of the clear 3 ring sleeves. Each page has its own thing. Truck registration on one then trailer registration then insurance cards. In the HDT I have a print out from the DMV of the requirements to do a RV conversion. On the last page is where I keep track of oil changes. It is a total of 5 pages. That is literally all there is to it. 

Thank you.

Robert & Lisa
'14 Keystone Fuzion 315 38' 5er

2015 Volvo VNL 670, D13, iShift 'The Tartis' (ours)

2013 Smart Fortwo Passion 'K-9'

2011 CanAm Spyder RT Limited (Ours)

We are both USAF vets.

LbjZhp0l.jpg

Contents: Registration, insurance information, state statute defining an rv, statute defining driver’s license requirements to drive an rv, statute addressing whether CDL and type(class A in Tx) is required to drive an rv.  In addition my state only issues one license plate and I have the statute showing where that plate should be placed on an rv.  All these statues are available online with a little effort in searching.  Even look under CDL requirements for exemptions from CDL.

Also place a table of contents in the front of the binder in bold print which details content.  I’ve never been stopped or had to produce the binder but my tact will be to grab my binder and subtly refer to the table of contents to locate documents letting the officer get a glimpse of its contents.  I will NOT hand him the binder asking him to look it up unless requested to give him the whole thing.  I think that might be insulting and I want to start on a good foot.  Finally at the end of my binder I placed a copy of air brake check and pre-trip inspection checklist for my circumstances to hopefully point the officer to the fact I still very much consider safety a priority.

Edited by SuiteSuccess

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

When I was stopped, he asked for registration/insurance.  I handed him the binder and said "I hope you'll find everything you need in here."  It worked.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

I go through a checklist before each trip.  The checklist shows date, mileage and then the requirements for a commercial truck inspection (air leakage, slack adjusters, lights, etc.).  While I have never been asked for it I have always felt it was important not only for me but for any LEO that wanted to know if my truck was compliant even if it was licensed as an RV.  I now have a "historical" notebook full of these sheets with any faults found and method of correction noted.  I have a copy of my title showing "Converted RV", registration with same and all the DOT requirements along with exemptions for weight, CDL, etc. for my state.  Of course insurance documentation is included.

4V4NC9GH6NXXXXXX VOLVO VNL67O MOTOR HOME SAFETY CHECK LIST

MILEAGE:______________________________________________________

DATE & TIME: ___________________________________________________

LOCATION AT TIME OF INSPECTION: _______________________________

INSIDE & OUTSIDE

O Apply Parking Brake and Chock Wheels

START ENGINE

O Oil Pressure______________psi

O Air pressure__________________psi

O Low Air Warning Device

(Air pressure below 40 psi check

on pressure build-up. Air pressure

above 60 psi deplete air until warning

device works)

O Instrument Panel

(Telltale lights or buzzers)

O Horn

O Windshield Wiper and Washer

O Heater - Defroster

O Mirrors

O Steering Wheel (Excess play)

O Turn on all lights including 4-way flasher

O Fire Extinguisher and Warning Devices

STOP ENGINE

O Release Parking Brakes (Yellow Knob)

O Apply service Brakes-Air loss should not

exceed 3 psi per minute on single vehicles

O Apply Parking Brakes

UNDER HOOD

O Engine Oil Level

O Coolant Level

O Power Steering Fluid

O Fan and A/C Alternator Belts

O Look for Any Visible Oil or Fluid Leaks

O Look for any signs of Exhaust Leaks

O Check or Fill Windshield Washer Fluid Tank

OUTSIDE

0  Slack adjusters clearance  (automatic adjusters on this vehicle)

FRONT

O Headlights (Fog, Driving, Hi/Low Beam)

O Clearance Lights

O Identification lights

O Turn Signals and 4-way flasher

O Tires and Wheels

LEFT SIDE

O Fuel Tank and Cap

O Side marker Lights

O Tires and Wheels

REAR

O Tail Lights

O Stop Lights

O Turn Signals and 4-way flasher

O Clearance Lights

O Identification Tights

O License Plate Light

RIGHT SIDE

O Fuel Tank and Cap

O Side marker Lights

O Tires and Wheels

O Couplings (Fifth wheel, safety chains,

locking devices)

O Remove Wheel Chocks

FASTEN SEAT BELT

INSPECTION PERFORMED BY:

NOTE: Place a mark only in the box for items checked.  If any item did not pass initial inspection, note repairs made below:

300.JPG.c2a50e50210ede7534c4c440c7f9aa80.JPG

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

"The Great White" - 2004 Volvo VNL670, D12, 10-speed, converted to single axle pulling a Keystone Cambridge 5th wheel, 40', 4 slides and about 19,000# with empty tanks.

ARS - WB4BZX, Electrical Engineer, Master Electrician, D.Ed., Professor Emeritus - Happily Retired!

8 hours ago, Moresmoke said:

One thing I will add ( in case it becomes relevant again), I keep a copy of my Jeep registration in the truck. I have been asked for proof of ownership when crossing the border in the past.

That's a good idea. Then you don't have get out and try to find it. 

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.