Insurance, again, 10% incress on the truck, 18% incress on the trailer, NO CLAIMS

mr. cob

Howdy All,

I mentioned earlier in this thread where under the advise of Roxanne who works for Miller Insurance, that I should get a professional appraisal of my truck in its present condition as a "motor home".  I just a few minutes ago got the email copy of the appraisal the hard copy will be coming in the mail.  My truck has been appraised at $55,000.00

So now I am working with Miller to see what an AGREED VALUE insurance policy is going to cost, I know it will be higher then what the regular quote is but at least if something happens I should be compensated for my loss.  I'll let you folks know how this goes.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Weigh the increased premium v. odds of having a loss but fixing it yourself.  For years, I carried NO collision on anything.  However, when I got old  I discovered collision costs very little, especially since I've never had a claim or a ticket.  I pay about the same for full coverage on a new F150 King Ranch as I did for liability only on a beater 40 years ago.

It might pay to get out a pencil and do some calculating on whether it's worth it, or if you're comfortable with the odds.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

16 hours ago, rickeieio said:

Weigh the increased premium v. odds of having a loss but fixing it yourself.  For years, I carried NO collision on anything.  However, when I got old  I discovered collision costs very little, especially since I've never had a claim or a ticket.  I pay about the same for full coverage on a new F150 King Ranch as I did for liability only on a beater 40 years ago.

It might pay to get out a pencil and do some calculating on whether it's worth it, or if you're comfortable with the odds.

Howdy rickeieio,

I am to darn gimped up to do much of anything anymore, if someone in a rest area tore off the front fender and Hood of the Pete it would probably cost more to repair then what the insurance would pay at what they call actual cash value.  I am sure they would total the truck for what it would cost to repair such damage.  So when I get the quote I have to consider such things.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Howdy All,

An update on this continuing saga, working through Miller Insurance, very good folks, Roxanne let me know that even with the appraisal Progressive will not write an agreed value policy, she said Progressive would write the policy with a stated value of $55,000.00 but it would be an actual cash value policy meaning that Progressive would take the appraised value as a guide but would still set a value in case of total loss at what Progressive thought was the actual cash value.  Long story short, they would charge me more but still bulk at paying what the truck was appraised at.

However she did find a company that would insure the truck at an agreed value of $55.000.00 the company is called "Nationwide" does anyone have any experience dealing with this company?  I would like to have the opinion of others who have dealt with Nationwide, good or bad before I commit to doing this, thanks.  Going with Nationwide would cost me 61 cents a day more then staying with Progressive, I am leaning real hard towards Nationwide.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

I had our house insured with a company that was described as a "Nationwide company" but a different name.  We had a large claim and at first they sent a forensic engineer to determine if this was a covered loss.   When it was determined to be covered they were very professional and paid the bills until a point at which they felt they no longer needed to.  After arguing with them without results I escalated it to the state insurance commission.   They wrote a letter to the company president asking for an explanation.  Suddenly they became much more agreeable and the job was finished.  However, some of the people who originally denied some payments sent me some letters that were not very professional and we have a different insurer.

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

On 8/19/2021 at 10:10 AM, mr. cob said:

However she did find a company that would insure the truck at an agreed value of $55.000.00 the company is called "Nationwide" does anyone have any experience dealing with this company?  I would like to have the opinion of others who have dealt with Nationwide, good or bad before I commit to doing this, thanks.  Going with Nationwide would cost me 61 cents a day more then staying with Progressive, I am leaning real hard towards Nationwide.

Dave

I had a 3 day contract with Nationwide. On reading the contract i discovered a clause which stated the RV had to be in-state for 7 months out of the year to be valid.  The agent was unaware (?) of that clause. You might want to have the agent check it out, and if possible get a copy of the contract before purchasing.  I have since discoveed that while agents are well meaning, and most are wanting to be helpful, they are sales people looking for the commission

It always pays to read the FINE PRINT.

2009 Four Winds Chateau - 25' class C          2002 Chevy Tracker

1458033694__statesVisitedas-ofMarch-2012.jpg.b173645da4a43150ba2820dc7a6bdfc5.jpg

On 8/19/2021 at 10:10 AM, mr. cob said:

Howdy All,

An update on this continuing saga, working through Miller Insurance, very good folks, Roxanne let me know that even with the appraisal Progressive will not write an agreed value policy, she said Progressive would write the policy with a stated value of $55,000.00 but it would be an actual cash value policy meaning that Progressive would take the appraised value as a guide but would still set a value in case of total loss at what Progressive thought was the actual cash value.  Long story short, they would charge me more but still bulk at paying what the truck was appraised at.

Dave

Very interesting.  I asked my agent to requote my Progressive policy, which had gone from $580 four years ago to $1150 this year.  She came back with a quote from Progressive quoting $850.  Her quote stated an ACV of $32,000 ($7,000 over NADA).  According to what I am readin gon this thread, Something doen't sound right.  Any suggestions on what I am not understanding?

Sorry if you read the original submission.  I had AGV, instead of ACV.

Now the question comes up;  even if Progressive states and ACV of $32,000 when ti came time to do an eval upon damage, would not they came back and do an actual cash value at time of accident, irrespective of what they stated the ACV was when I signed up?

Edited by gypsydan
change AGV to ACV. Added more verbage.

1458033694__statesVisitedas-ofMarch-2012.jpg.b173645da4a43150ba2820dc7a6bdfc5.jpg

15 minutes ago, gypsydan said:

Very interesting.  I asked my agent to requote my Progressive policy, which had gone from $580 four years ago to $1150 this year.  She came back with a quote from Progressive quoting $850.  Her quote stated an AGV of $32,000 ($7,000 over NADA).  According to what I am readin gon this thread, Something doen't sound right.  Any suggestions on what I am not understanding?

Howdy Dan,

As to the 7 month thing, we are not full time so that is not a problem for us at this time.

I am "assuming" AGV, means agreed value, I am also "assuming" your talking about insuring the Class C, motor home in your signature.  If these assumptions are correct we are talking about insuring two completely different types of RV, getting insurance on a Class C is EASY compared to a HDT converted into a motor home.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

I got a quote from Grace at Lazy Days in Tampa today. About $950 a year with actual cash value. They listed the cost basis as what I paid for it. 25,500. 
so if needed I probably won’t get much. It has a lesser of clause.

I got that quote because State Farm underwriters were giving me a hard time and wanted to drop me. This is something that is rare for them apparently. Anyway, my local agent called me today and said they got it all worked out and I am covered again. 
I started as private vehicle, they switched to commercial and now back to private. Premium was 80$ a month or so before the shenanigans. Should be about the same after the shake up. Of course I don’t have my trailer yet so that will jack it up some. 

20 hours ago, mr. cob said:

Howdy Dan,

As to the 7 month thing, we are not full time so that is not a problem for us at this time.

I am "assuming" AGV, means agreed value, I am also "assuming" your talking about insuring the Class C, motor home in your signature.  If these assumptions are correct we are talking about insuring two completely different types of RV, getting insurance on a Class C is EASY compared to a HDT converted into a motor home.

Dave

Appreciate the clarification, as I had not thought it through. It makes sense.

Since National General has been mentioned severa limes in this thread, I thought bringing this to your awareness would be of value,

I contacted National General for a quote and was denied due to age:  80 y/o, strong and in perfect health. 

Anyone else had this problem?  This could be a major issue emerging on the horizon for many RV'ers in their 70s.

Age discrimination doesnt exist right???

Thanks for the heads up.  I'm not in my 70s but good to know that they can do that.

Why arent there steps to provide competency?  Many insurance companies will provide discounts for seniors when they take classes.  

Marcel

Just now, rpsinc said:

Age discrimination doesnt exist right???

Thanks for the heads up.  I'm not in my 70s but good to know that they can do that.

Why arent there steps to provide competency?  Many insurance companies will provide discounts for seniors when they take classes.  

That is a good question.  I have contacted Suzie Adams, at Loringlaw, to get her comments.

• 2 weeks later...

Howdy All,

Well, I am NOT a happy camper, a very pi$$ed off camper would be a much more appropriate term.  After all the hassle and expense of getting the appraisal on my truck, my agent at Miller insurance can't find a company that offers insurance in the Peoples Republik of washington, that will give an "AGREED VALUE" policy on my truck. 

So I am stuck with Progressive who will only pay in case of total loss "ACTUAL CASH VALUE".  However now that I have in hand an actual appraisal of it's worth I can at least FIGHT them if God forbid something happens and I end up somehow having the truck badly damaged or worst case totaled.

My main concern is when parked in rest area or if I have to spend the night in a truck stop and some jerk who can't drive pulls out and tears the front end off my truck the darned insurance company would total the truck as in all probability it would cost 10-15K to replace the Hood, fenders and all the other things bumper, radiators ect that such a crash would entail.  

Like I said in my first post to this thread, I don't mind paying for insurance but I don't like getting ripped off in the process.  What pi$$'s me off the most is Nationwide gave me a quote that was higher then what I am paying now but was acceptable as it would have paid an Agreed Value, after seeing photos of the truck and trailer, they said "the vehicle was too large".  How in the HELL are you folks who have an AGREED VALUE policy on your trucks getting it and WHO are you insured with?

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Switch to liability only and invest the money you would spend on the comprehensive and collision insurance. With luck you could save and earn enough to replace the truck or fix it in case of an accident. You will have to dedicate the amount every month or ever year, but that's what the insurance companies do. Take your money invest it and hope you don't need it for anything. 

Nothings ever free except advice and for free advice you get what you paid for it. 

Rod

ps Good luck and I hope you never need your insurance, what ever you choose to do. 

rl

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

• 3 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Pete Kildow said:

Sorry but I would rather pay a Campground. Then try to park in a truck stop. Your odds of getting the hood ripped off. Goes up 97.8976% in the truck stops..

Howdy Pete,

I agree, problem is I am not much of a campground type of person and when I am on my way to a destination I only need a place to stay for a few hours. That and where I go there often times aren't any campgrounds in the immediate area and I can't see adding more travel time and distance to the trip to pay 35-50 dollars just for a place to park for a few hours to get some sleep. 

The bums have ruined Walmart over night parking and staying at remote rest areas is getting to the point where it's more dangerous then spending the night in a truck stop.  As long as I am on a rant, might as well add, "Get off my lawn" in my most sincere "Cob" ( Crabby old bastard ) voice.  Oh, and don't forget the "Mr."   😄

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg