RV Parks requiring truck ownership?

odigity

Although I have no prior experience with RVs, after 2020 I desperately needed more freedom, so in January I purchased a 2019 Outback 240URS (28' travel trailer) from a dealership in Florida and had it shipped to a storage unit in Houston, where I'm planning to unite it with it for the first time on June 1.  (I'm in Las Vegas until my lease ends May 31.)

I also just signed up for the Escapees RV Club membership with Mail Forwarding service.  Since their HQ happens to be near Houston, and they have their own RV Park (Rainbow's End), I thought it'd be smart and fun to take the trailer there first and stay there until I learn how to properly operate and maintain my trailer while surrounded by experts.

However, I just noticed this on their policy page:

All TOWED TRAILERS AND FIFTH WHEELS: Must have a vehicle capable of towing said unit out of the park throughout the rental period.

I don't own a tow vehicle - I own a Honda Insight (basically a civic hybrid) because I do Postmates/GrubHub delivery for a living.  Whenever I need to move - which I don't plan to do often - I intend to make use of the very affordable 3/4 ton tow trucks that Enterprise Rental offers at convenient locations all over the country.  It makes no sense for me to own a tow vehicle right now.

(I'd like to own a truck and be completely independent, but I can't do that until I have income other than food delivery, which is a long-term goal.)

So, my rookie question is:  Is this a common policy?  Do most parks discriminate against perfectly rational and responsible people like me on the assumption that "don't own truck" means "likely to be a problem"?  And is there no way to compensate with, say, a security deposit, or something like that?

TT: 2019 Keystone Outback 240URS

I have always had a truck so likely would not have noted such wording at a campground but the reason is no doubt that rigs may need to be moved on short notice in emergencies like fire, flood, hurricane, etc.  Trying to locate and rent a truck during such a time could be impossible. We had one occasion while volunteering in Northern Idaho where a nearby wildfire had us hitched up and ready to bug out with about fifteen minutes notice. There would not have been enough time to rent a tow vehicle.

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

It's not an unusual rule.  As Mark points out, there are reasons for it.  At the same time, it's not a universal rule.  We're at Green Caye in Dickinson, TX right now.  There are several long term residents here who paid to have their camper moved in.  

So far as Escapees is concerned, you might just want to contact them and ask if the rule is hard and fast.  They might give you some guidance about what is and isn't acceptable in your situation.

Our "Here and There" Blog

2005 Safari Cheetah Motorhome

There are RV parks that do not have such a rule and I am sure that one can be found in the Houston area. Many of the RV parks have such a rule because their licensing and/or zoning does not allow permanent residence. In some areas to allow for permanent residence, as an RV that can't be towed could be considered, the park must be licensed as a mobile home park. I do not know for sure about that area, but when we were looking to find a home-base when our fulltime adventure was ending due health, we were in contact with a park in Canton, TX and another in Athens, TX which had annual leases but only allowed you to occupy your site for a maximum of 10 months of the year, for those reasons.  I would suggest to you that you call the park office and discuss with them what you are interested in doing, just to be clear. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

42 minutes ago, mptjelgin said:

...the reason is no doubt that rigs may need to be moved on short notice in emergencies like fire, flood, hurricane, etc.  Trying to locate and rent a truck during such a time could be impossible.

Hadn't considered emergencies - although I imagine most emergencies could still be handled between rentals and old-fashioned helping.

Guess I'll just have to work a little harder to pick places.

There are some campgrounds along the ocean in the Pacific Northwest that require you to back in your motorhome.  No pulling in straight or parking sideways. The reason is that in case of a tsunami, they want you to be able to get out fast without blocking any other campers by backing out.  Same issue for forest fires. 

Some campgrounds also have rules about truck campers leaving the camper and going away for the day with just the truck part. 

9 hours ago, Solo18 said:

There are some campgrounds along the ocean in the Pacific Northwest that require you to back in your motorhome.  No pulling in straight or parking sideways. The reason is that in case of a tsunami, they want you to be able to get out fast without blocking any other campers by backing out.  Same issue for forest fires. 

Some campgrounds also have rules about truck campers leaving the camper and going away for the day with just the truck part. 

And that statement is absurd because when the Cascadia Fault goes (it is not an if, it is a when - she's technically overdue right now) the first wave will reach the Washington shore in 15 minutes or  LESS assuming she rips on the upper end of the fault.   If lower end, the Oregon beaches will be under in less than 15 minutes and Washington beaches may have 20-25 minutes.   If you have ever been in Ocean Shores, with it's 1 road in and out, you quickly realize that you will end up being carried all the way to Aberdeen before being sucked back out to sea.   

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

11 hours ago, odigity said:

Hadn't considered emergencies - although I imagine most emergencies could still be handled between rentals and old-fashioned helping.

Guess I'll just have to work a little harder to pick places.

There is an RV park in Oak Creek Canyon (lower end) that has (had) in their office  pictures of a flooding event after rain up in the mountains.  Several people lost rigs that were stored there and they weren't around to get them out.  

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

We have been in a number of parks that require motorhomes to be in an operating condition and all trailer have a vehicle suitable to tow the trailer in case they have to leave.  However, not we are seeing many people that have a large trailer and a tiny care to travel in....no truck.  If they have to leave a park, they fuss about having to wait and schedule a person to move the trailer and then they fuss about the cost of the move.

Where we are now in Texas, a couple had to hire a guy to haul the trailer to Florida and a friend to take the boat to Florida.  The guy that showed up  for the trip was in a 3/4 ton short bed truck for a 40 foot Cedar Creek trailer that was loaded for full time.  The wife was there to supervise the hook  up and did not know how to operate the leveling jacks and the driver did not have a clue either.  I just hope the trailer made it to Florida without damage.  I saw that the driver had the trailer lifted in the air on the level jacks, and all tires in the air, trying to get it up so that he could connect to the trailer.  I finally went over and told the lady he needed to stop and I would show him how to operate the level system to get hooked up.

If you are going the route of no tow vehicle, at least know how to get the trailer ready for travel and have a driver located that knows how to do the job.

Ken

Edited by TXiceman

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

On 5/7/2021 at 9:53 PM, odigity said:

Although I have no prior experience with RVs, after 2020 I desperately needed more freedom, so in January I purchased a 2019 Outback 240URS (28' travel trailer) from a dealership in Florida and had it shipped to a storage unit in Houston,

I think there is the problem. You are close to the coast and hurricane area in Houston. The farther away from the coast it is less likely you will see that requirement. The real key to consider is "flood prone area" whether that be along a coast or a river or a mountain valley. Sometimes the rules are not about just your personal property but that of the park owner as well.

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

We just checked into a park in Alabama on the Gulf Coast that has this requirement.  When we came in there was a notice of potential flooding and a release from liability for the park regarding damage from flooding.

Wayne & Jinx
2017 F-350 diesel, dually
2006 Carriage Carri-Lite 36KSQ

Jinx and Wayne

2006 Carriage Carri-Lite 36KSQ

1 hour ago, Chalkie said:

I think there is the problem. You are close to the coast and hurricane area in Houston. The farther away from the coast it is less likely you will see that requirement.

Yes, although hopefully not for long.  Starting in Conroe (an hour north of Houston), and plan to relocate to outside Austin a few months later.

Actually, anyplace near water can flood. The Escapee park in Hollister, MO (Branson area) flooded a few years ago. It is right on the river. People were helping each other move rigs to higher ground.

Some common sense has to be applied. Flooding and hurricanes generally don't happen without at least some advance warning. Earthquakes and tsunamis, though, don't give warnings. If the truck is your only vehicle, and you are out shopping when the earthquake hits, there isn't much you can do about getting your trailer out. On the other hand, when it has been raining upstream for a few days, the river is likely to rise, so maybe you ought to stick close to home just in case.

David Lininger, kb0zke
1993 Foretravel U300 40' (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

I think perhaps your rig is your problem. Perhaps a Class C motorhome capable of towing your car? You won't have to back in with the toad hooked up as you have to disconnect the toad from the MH before backing. I know they cost more but that would give you owner ship and no tow vehicle needed. Or you could trade in your car and pick up a nice SUV or pickup to drive around and be able to tow your little home.

When we were in California they had a problem with folks living out of some really junky trailers on the "back row," and they had a rule you had to leave the park every month or so then come back which made it pretty imperative to have a tow vehicle or toad as we call them. If you decide to upgrade your little car to one that can tow, or to get a small motorhome to tow your car do come back so we can help with safe weight matching.

What you have is fine if that works for you with your park, area, and preferred campground type.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

I forgot to ask my other policy-related question:

How strict are RV parks about making sure your travel trailer is properly registered?

I just got my residency address today from Escapees Mail Service, but still have to wait for my incompetent RV dealer to send my titlework to the Texas DPS, then make an appointment to go there, and I figure all this could drag out for weeks or even months - in the meantime, if no park will let me move my trailer in, I'll be paying a fortune on motels.

Crap, I just thought of an even better question.  I'm currently browsing listings on AirBnB to see if I can do better than a motel, and I saw someone renting out a 5th wheel hooked up in their backyard, and it made me think:

Are there people who have RV hookups at their home and would be willing to rent space/hookups?  Like AirBnB but for RVs?

If so, I could negotiate with a private individual and not worry about policies like up-to-date registration and having a tow-vehicle on-hand 24/7, at least until I progress my personal situation further.

rvezy, among others, like AirB&B rent stationary RVs. Some campgrounds also have either rental RVs sitting in place, or cabins to rent.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

1 hour ago, Darryl&Rita said:

rvezy, among others, like AirB&B rent stationary RVs. Some campgrounds also have either rental RVs sitting in place, or cabins to rent.

That's neat, I didn't know about that service - but what I meant was a site for people who have hookups at home and want to rent them to someone like me, so I can bring my RV there instead of a commercial RV park.

9 hours ago, odigity said:

That's neat, I didn't know about that service - but what I meant was a site for people who have hookups at home and want to rent them to someone like me, so I can bring my RV there instead of a commercial RV park.

Harvest hosts gets you into more "rural" spots, RVProperty is a nationwide listing service, and CraigList is everywhere. Now we're back to needing a vehicle, though.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

• 7 months later...

UPDATE:

It's been over six months since I moved to the Houston area, and I'm still here.  I've stayed at three RV parks, and visited about twenty more.

So far, these issues have never come up - no one has cared whether my trailer was registered (it is), or whether I own a tow vehicle.  (I do not.)

5 hours ago, odigity said:

So far, these issues have never come up - no one has cared whether my trailer was registered (it is), or whether I own a tow vehicle.  (I do not.)

Glad to hear that things are working out so far. Mind sharing how you move the trailer to change parks? 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

16 hours ago, Kirk W said:

Glad to hear that things are working out so far. Mind sharing how you move the trailer to change parks? 

Twice I've hired a local service (dudes with trucks), and once I rented my own truck from Enterprise Truck Rental - but I had to buy my own hitch receiver.