My house generator has failed me. If I plug the house into this generator, can I use the air and other items as I do on a park 30-amp system? Product photo of Used - Westinghouse Generator with remote start

Still seeing Places we have never seen before and others that we thought we would never see again!

homelesshartshorns | Trying to spend the last Dollar on the Last Day! (wordpress.com)

George Hartshorn | Facebook

33 minutes ago, homelesshartshorns said:

My house generator has failed me. If I plug the house into this generator, can I use the air and other items as I do on a park 30-amp system? Product photo of Used - Westinghouse Generator with remote start

I don't see why not. 

If you are able to do everything on a 30amp RV site, you should be able to do it with that Generator also. You don't show the KW output, but I'm assuming it's at least 3000 or hopefully 5000. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

5 hours ago, homelesshartshorns said:

If I plug the house into this generator, can I use the air and other items as I do on a park 30-amp system?

Hi again Homeless. I just got back from Church I was in a hurry earlier and just realized since you’re homeless you’re probably asking about an RV,,,,,,,,,,,,Its onboard Genset has failed,,,,,,,,,,,, And you’re NOT talking about any residential genset right??

So you ask “If I plug the house into this generator, can I use the air and other items as I do on a park 30-amp system? “

New updated answer MAYBE YES it depends on the gensets rating.

1)     You would try by plugging the RV power cord (if a 30 Amp RV with its standard NEMA TT-30P Plug) into that gensets 30 Amp 120 Volt TT-30R Receptacle. So  “can I use the air and other items as I do on a park 30-amp system?”  YES IFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF the Genset has the capacity to START and run your RV’s AC it will work HOWEVER realize you’re limited to the rating of the Genset, it may or may not be able to START and run the AC depending on its rating

2)     If you have a 50 Amp RV with a NEMA 14-50P Plug, you would need to use a 30/50 Dogbone Adapter to plug into the genests 30 Amp Receptacle. Again you may or may not be able to run a SINGLE AC subject to the gensets rating. NOTE the 30/50 Dogbone adapter ties both legs of a 120/240 volt 50 Amp service together so you can power BOTH legs on a 50 Amp RV but you’re limited to the gensets rating

3)     An RV parks 30 amp 120 volt pedestal in theory can supply 3600 Watts of power to your RV, so whats the rating of your genset?? More or less than 3600 Watts??

NOTE If you’re hard wired somehow to genset with transfer arrangements etc and don’t have the RV Power Cord available you obviously cant do as described above. Im talking about plugging the RV power cord into the genset NOT the non working genset somehow in the system. Is there some sort of a transfer switch were dealing with ???? If so I may need to modify my advice

NOTE the genset is labeled Floating Neutral which can work however if you have an EMS that will trip an alarm

NOTE it takes more current to START an AC versus to run, it so some smaller gensets may not be able to start an RV AC. If yours will work depends on its rating and the AC requirements.

NOTE if the genset size is marginal if you were to install a Soft Start on the AC that greatly improves the chances of a smaller marginal sized gensets ability to start and run an AC   

John T

Edited by oldjohnt

1 hour ago, homelesshartshorns said:

My house generator has failed me.

Since you are fulltime, can we assume that you are asking about plugging the RV into that connection? Is your 2000 Winnebago Suncruser a 30a version or a 50a? 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

5 hours ago, Kirk W said:

Since you are fulltime, can we assume that you are asking about plugging the RV into that connection? Is your 2000 Winnebago Suncruser a 30a version or a 50a? 

I assume you will tell me I need an adapter.

Still seeing Places we have never seen before and others that we thought we would never see again!

homelesshartshorns | Trying to spend the last Dollar on the Last Day! (wordpress.com)

6 hours ago, lappir said:

I don't see why not. 

If you are able to do everything on a 30amp RV site, you should be able to do it with that Generator also. You don't show the KW output, but I'm assuming it's at least 3000 or hopefully 5000. 

Rod

5 hours ago, oldjohnt said:

Hi again Homeless. I just got back from Church I was in a hurry earlier and just realized since you’re homeless you’re probably asking about an RV,,,,,,,,,,,,Its onboard Genset has failed,,,,,,,,,,,, And you’re NOT talking about any residential genset right??

So you ask “If I plug the house into this generator, can I use the air and other items as I do on a park 30-amp system? “

New updated answer MAYBE YES it depends on the gensets rating.

1)     You would try by plugging the RV power cord (if a 30 Amp RV with its standard NEMA TT-30P Plug) into that gensets 30 Amp 120 Volt TT-30R Receptacle. So  “can I use the air and other items as I do on a park 30-amp system?”  YES IFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF the Genset has the capacity to START and run your RV’s AC it will work HOWEVER realize you’re limited to the rating of the Genset, it may or may not be able to START and run the AC depending on its rating

2)     If you have a 50 Amp RV with a NEMA 14-50P Plug, you would need to use a 30/50 Dogbone Adapter to plug into the genests 30 Amp Receptacle. Again you may or may not be able to run a SINGLE AC subject to the gensets rating. NOTE the 30/50 Dogbone adapter ties both legs of a 120/240 volt 50 Amp service together so you can power BOTH legs on a 50 Amp RV but you’re limited to the gensets rating

3)     An RV parks 30 amp 120 volt pedestal in theory can supply 3600 Watts of power to your RV, so whats the rating of your genset?? More or less than 3600 Watts??

NOTE If you’re hard wired somehow to genset with transfer arrangements etc and don’t have the RV Power Cord available you obviously cant do as described above. Im talking about plugging the RV power cord into the genset NOT the non working genset somehow in the system. Is there some sort of a transfer switch were dealing with ???? If so I may need to modify my advice

NOTE the genset is labeled Floating Neutral which can work however if you have an EMS that will trip an alarm

NOTE it takes more current to START an AC versus to run, it so some smaller gensets may not be able to start an RV AC. If yours will work depends on its rating and the AC requirements.

NOTE if the genset size is marginal if you were to install a Soft Start on the AC that greatly improves the chances of a smaller marginal sized gensets ability to start and run an AC   

John T Its a 5000 watt. And thanks for your information.

You're sure welcome, thanks for the update homeless. Okay a 5000 Watt genset with its 30 Amp Receptacle for plugging in your RV power cord should be plenty to easily start and run (NO Soft Start required) a standard 13,500 or even a 15,000 BTU RV AC. An RV Parks 30 Amp Receptacle could in theory only deliver 3600 Watts. If you would happen to need any adapters (like if you had a 50 Amp RV instead of a 30) thats easy peasey and BOTH legs of a 50 Amp RV Power Panel would be energized, although you still only have the gensets 5000 Watt capacity...................  

You got this, nice sparky chatting with you

John T

If you have the 50A version, you probably also have 2 air conditioners and with 5KW you can probably run both at the same time but doubtful if you can use the microwave with both on. Since the a/c compressors cycle on and off you might get by. Your converter is probably 55-60A at 12V so that would draw around 6-7a if the batteries are being charged. You can boost the ability to use 120V by shifting the refrigerator to propane and not using the 120V heater of the water heater but propane only. My last class A had a 5.5 KW Onan and it would pretty much carry everything but the electric water heater, at the same time. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I can provide more guidance if I knew if the RV was a 50 Amp (power cord would be four No 6 Conductors and use a NEMA 14-50P 4 Pin Plug) orrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr a 30 Amp (power cord would be three No 10 Conductors and use a NEMA TT-30P 3 Pin Plug to match the receptacle shown on the picture you posted)

REGARDLESS  A) If its a 30 Amp RV you can plug direct into the gensets 30 Amp Receptacle which is rated for 120 Volts and 30 Amps (3600 Watts) subject to overcurrent protection parameters.

B) If its a 50 Amp RV and the genset only has the receptacles shown in the picture, then you could use a 50 F to 30 M Dogbone Adapter so you can get that 50 Amp Power Cord plugged into the gensets 30 Amp Receptacle, for 120 Volts and 30 Amps subject to overcurrent protection parameters.

You still have a 5000 Watt genset and whatever limitations may be imposed due to the available receptacles (30 and 20 Amp) and how they are configured and protected (I don't know). Remember, even though the Genset is rated at 5000 Watts, DOES NOT mean you can deliver 5000 Watts using ONLY that 120 Volt 30 Amp NEMA TT-30R Receptacle !!!  I take it you DO NOT have a 50 Amp 4 Pin NEMA 14-50R Receptacle on that genset ??????????   In addition to that 30 Amp, you also have the 120 Volt 20 Amp Receptacle available, which could subject to wiring and configuration, add available Watts of power !!!!

PS If used to power a single RV the genset does not require connection to a ground rod. 

PS I would suggest BONDING the gensets Neutral to Ground (picture indicates its Floating).  

Let me know

John T

Edited by oldjohnt