Mackinaw Bridge with T T

I’M headed to N W part of lower Michigan for the summer. Looking for information about taking the. northern route and going over the Mackinaw bridge with 20’ travel trailer and pick up. The other option of course is going south around Lake Michigan. WhTs tour thoughts? I need to be at job site by May 9. 
George

Edited by George the greek
Wrote 10 instead of 20’

Have driven it with all size RVs many, many times as we lived in Michigan.  No issues ever.  It closes if winds are 50mph and in winter if ice falls from the cables.  Closures don't happen often.  The speed limit is 45mph so you're going slow. No stopping allowed and no U-turns.  I believe they still have a pre-arranged service that someone will drive for you, if needed.  Thousands walk the bridge on the Labor Day tradition.  It's an awesome experience!  Plan to park on either side and take it all in and take photos.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

I too may be going to Michigan in May, from Wisc. I have a 43 foot Class A DP. How windy is it normally? Is there a toll to cross? I am also thinking of taking the Ferry instead. Have been told that RVs are ok on the Ferry. What is the cost for a round trip in a big rig? 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

3 hours ago, Larry Burkett said:

All Others – $5.00 per axle

Vehicles not meeting passenger vehicle characteristics including but not limited to tractor trailers, buses, motor homes and step or cube vans.

Is this the fee for the bridge, or the ferry? 

2 hours ago, George the greek said:

Now that is an option I had not thought of. Do you know where to catch the ferry? 

There are two Ferries. One is neat Manitowic the other is near Milwaukee. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

4 hours ago, Twotoes said:

I too may be going to Michigan in May, from Wisc. I have a 43 foot Class A DP. How windy is it normally? Is there a toll to cross? I am also thinking of taking the Ferry instead. Have been told that RVs are ok on the Ferry. What is the cost for a round trip in a big rig? 

Just to be clear - the ferry I mentioned and posted the photo of is a passenger ferry that takes you out to Mackinac Island.

Edited by GR "Scott" Cundiff

Our "Here and There" Blog

2005 Safari Cheetah Motorhome

3 hours ago, George the greek said:

Now that is an option I had not thought of. Do you know where to catch the ferry? 

That is for the Mackinac Bridge.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

15 hours ago, Twotoes said:

There are two Ferries. One is neat Manitowic

We crossed on the Manitowoc ferry (SS Badger), twice with the rig and twice without, in the summer of 2019.  It is a great trip.  The crew moves your RV on and off of the ferry.  We had a 5er with a total length of 54'.  The cost each way with the rig was $125 for the two of us (one 65+) and $378 for the rig. That saved over 400 miles of driving and a whole lot of Chicago/Gary traffic stress. I can't remember whether there was tax.  On the ferry our dog rode in the truck with the window cracked.  Make sure to walk the dog just before embarkation.  It is a four hour trip.

They will also ask about explosives, and will ask about firearms because their bomb dog will sniff our firearms, too.  No problem having firearms, you just have to tell them.   They don't go into the RV with the dog but it detected my firearms from outside.

Wayne & Jinx
2017 F-350 diesel, dually
2006 Carriage Carri-Lite 36KSQ

Jinx and Wayne

The SS Badger was built to haul railroad cars across the lake to prevent having to take them through Chicago so there is no need to worry about the height, weight, or length of your rig in relationship to the ferry. Do plan your route to and from the ferry, though, as those are small towns at each end of the route although that may have improved in the years since we took the ferry. This ferry goes nowhere near the Mackinaw Bridge, though.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

I do not believe there is a ferry that runs from St Ignace to Mackinaw City anymore. The bridge is the only connection between the upper and lower peninsulas. we have crossed the bride many times pulling our 5th wheel. if you are worried about the wind, you can wait till a calm time to cross. it is really quite a nice drive. 

8 hours ago, sandsys said:

This ferry goes nowhere near the Mackinaw Bridge, though.

Right.   OP was going from Wisconsin to NW lower Michigan.  The ferry is an alternate route.

8 hours ago, sandsys said:

Do plan your route to and from the ferry, though, as those are small towns at each end of the route although that may have improved in the years since we took the ferry.

Absolutely, although the actual route to the ferry at each end is pretty well marked. I looked it over on Google maps before going, but it wasn't too difficult. The ferry itself is actually a part of US-10.  Lots of semi's use it.

Wayne & Jinx
2017 F-350 diesel, dually

Jinx and Wayne