quartzite - what will happen there this year / Covid gonna close it ?

ARKIEGUIDE

Does "anyone" really think that normalcy,as most know it, will miraculously begin at an event of this magnitude in just a few short weeks?  These types of large gatherings is a prime example of why the country is in the shape it is today.  Use common sense folks.  

2010 Newmar Dutch Aire 4304-Spartan Chassis-Cummins ISL 425hp-2013 Chevrolet Equinox AWD Towed-SKP# 120487-FMCA #402879-

39 minutes ago, 2gypsies said:

The Show goes on... unfortunately.  It's going to be a mass spreader.   Note there's a 'clicky' for COVID requirements.

https://www.quartzsitervshow.com/attendee-info

Hmmm. The covid information is not prominent so I missed it the first time though. For those who want to be sure, here's another link: https://b438f7c3401f4ee59d57899a7d729976.filesusr.com/ugd/b22f43_22f6bc96967248ba96b1741a61e88108.pdf

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Drivin and VIbn just put out a list of 10 over run Boondocking spots on 12/17.   One of the sites in Quartzsite is listed (Plumosa Rd) as well as Craggy Wash in Lake Havasu

https://drivinvibin.com/2020/12/17/boondocking-spots-overrun/
Every January, this area is a mecca for RVers. Thousands gather for the annual RV trade show. This particular site is popular among boondockers for much of the year, except for when the extreme desert heat drives them toward colder climes.

With record crowds, it’s obvious that many RV enthusiasts decided this year to find out what all the fuss is about.

1 hour ago, trostberg said:

Drivin and VIbn just put out a list of 10 over run Boondocking spots on 12/17.   One of the sites in Quartzsite is listed (Plumosa Rd) as well as Craggy Wash in Lake Havasu

https://drivinvibin.com/2020/12/17/boondocking-spots-overrun/
Every January, this area is a mecca for RVers. Thousands gather for the annual RV trade show. This particular site is popular among boondockers for much of the year, except for when the extreme desert heat drives them toward colder climes.

With record crowds, it’s obvious that many RV enthusiasts decided this year to find out what all the fuss is about.

I posted a link to an RVerTV episode showing that area in a drive thru a few days ago and the place was anything but crowded. The above quote is obvious advert fluff intended to draw more people in. There are a number of other sources showing that attendance is way down. Canadians make up about 40% of the average population and for the most part they are trapped in Canada. So that alone would cut attendance by almost half.

It's too early to get a 'feeling' of how many will be at Quartzsite.  The RV Show is a main draw & it's two weeks away.  Boondocking in the area is easily done during Covid;  not the RV show.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

3 hours ago, jc2 said:

Does "anyone" really think that normalcy,as most know it, will miraculously begin at an event of this magnitude in just a few short weeks? 

My opinion only, but normalcy of what we used to know is likely done for quite some time.  Seems the experts are now saying mid 2023.  If we consider the challenges being faced with getting the populace vaccinated, and the expectation that 60-80% need to have received a vaccine/s for the potential of normalcy(herd immunity?), and then add to the effects of what has happened after 4th of July, Thanksgiving, and now this month the effects of Xmas and New Years gatherings, it will be an interesting phenomenom over the next 30-45 days.  

I sadly am not looking forward to what is to come soon.

Marcel

On 1/3/2021 at 12:37 PM, jc2 said:

Does "anyone" really think that normalcy,as most know it, will miraculously begin at an event of this magnitude in just a few short weeks?  These types of large gatherings is a prime example of why the country is in the shape it is today.  Use common sense folks.  

The "boondocking" part is no problem......however, the gatherings - big tent, etc. are! (super spreaders).

Many, many folks from So. CA attend Q & the CO river regularly.  Covid running rampant in So. CA - may  help you decide to attend or not.

If you become seriously ill  (for *any* reason)  or are injured....good luck finding treatment in a timely manner!

5 minutes ago, Pappy Yokum said:

If you become seriously ill  (for *any* reason)  or are injured....good luck finding treatment in a timely manner!

That's true in Q at any time of year. The closest medical facility is in Parker and it is a tiny hospital connected to a nursing home with those residents getting priority as the ONE doctor makes his rounds. At least that was the case when one of our group in Q got sick several years ago.

Linda

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

12 hours ago, sandsys said:

That's true in Q at any time of year. The closest medical facility is in Parker and it is a tiny hospital connected to a nursing home with those residents getting priority as the ONE doctor makes his rounds. At least that was the case when one of our group in Q got sick several years ago.

Linda

Think *serious* medical emergency!  Parker is band-aids.  Sometimes the closest is not the best choice!

A friend lost his life due to the  inadequate *facilities* at Parker. Req'd immediate surgery which they couldn't provide. (A dozen docs wouldn't have changed the outcome).  He was transferred, but too much time was lost. You want to get to a Phoenix area emergency hospital ASAP.

(IMO) Subscribe to one of the medical air evacuation plans, and/or be ready with your credit card for the helicopter flight if the service doesn't cover your emergency.  You can always drop the plan if you don't need or want it anymore.

My home base is in Florida and that is the third most populated state. This area has three major and I mean multiblock sized hospitals, one a major teaching hospital and one a major VA hospital. Yet the surrounding rural counties are sending a continuous steam of ambulances from those counties to the hospitals here. And by continuous I mean it is unusual to take a 15 minute drive on the local highway here, without seeing ambulances from those counties either coming or going. They all have small facilities, somewhat like what I imagine Parker has. But they cannot support a major hospital. So they send people by ambulance if the case is not too urgent or air if it is to the hospitals here. That is just life in the rural parts of the nation. If some one needs urgent care in Parker or in the outlying areas they will load them on to a life flight and fly them to Tucson or Phoenix.

54 minutes ago, agesilaus said:

If some one needs urgent care in Parker or in the outlying areas they will load them on to a life flight and fly them to Tucson or Phoenix.

They will be loaded onto a life flight or into an ambulance once someone determines that is what they need. Who makes that determination is important. That's one reason having your own life flight insurance policy can be critical to your health. For a friend of mine, a helicopter came right to his GPS coordinates when he had a serious accident on an ATV because he had such a policy.

Linda Sand

25 minutes ago, agesilaus said:

I assume it is the EMT on the scene that determines that.

So, there just happened to be an EMT out in the desert where my friend's accident happened? As I understand it, his friend called for the life lift helicopter and described his injury and they took the friend's word for it. Good thing he was not out there alone.

You made me remember when I checked into La Posa South BLM LTVA and I was alone; they asked if I wanted to register who they should call in case of emergency. It appears they had recently had someone die there but no one was checking on him so he was not found right away. At that time I was glad I was blogging regularly and that my Dave was checking my blog and the location of my iPad to be sure I was still moving around.

Anything can happen any time anywhere.

Linda

I'm losing track of this discussion. Normally you have an accident or other medical emergency, hopefully someone dials 911 and the police and EMT's respond. The EMT's then decide if you can ride an ambulance or you need an urgent air lift. My son BTW was a qualified EMT. If you get transported to a medical facility and then those people can decide if you need an air lift out. What is the problem?

Burdened Arizona hospitals turn away ambulances, transfers

https://apnews.com/article/public-health-arizona-coronavirus-pandemic-doug-ducey-b7ae89f2a67c1e8731d02624939b6f46

Just an FYI in response to this comment earilier " If some one needs urgent care in Parker or in the outlying areas they will load them on to a life flight and fly them to Tucson or Phoenix."  SInce the AP article hospitals have eliminated elective procedures to try to help.   Also if you have SKymed you are required to have a negative COVID test before you are allowed to be flown out.  (see discussion under health in RVNETWORK)

Edited by trostberg

19 hours ago, agesilaus said:

I'm losing track of this discussion. Normally you have an accident or other medical emergency, hopefully someone dials 911 and the police and EMT's respond. The EMT's then decide if you can ride an ambulance or you need an urgent air lift. My son BTW was a qualified EMT. If you get transported to a medical facility and then those people can decide if you need an air lift out. What is the problem?

You are definitely losing track!!  Q -or Parker, AZ -  is *not* your "hometown" or normal city or town!!  They have "influxes" of sorts.

Where I was employed, the PD,  at least one Engine Company /w two EMTs and two Paramedics, would be dispatched to a medical emergency. (My "BTW"): - Beginning In 1972 *every* F/F was required to be a bi-annually certified EMT, Medics certified annually.

Based on the nature of the emergency, EMTs, and/or Paramedics would determine what type of transportation (ground or air) would be appropriate for the nature of the emergency - does the patient need to go to a normal emergency hospital for Basic Life Support - or a Trama Center for Advanced Life Support? -  Even w/o COVID - Is the closest ER or TC available & accepting patients?? 

You will *NOT* get (or want) an "airlift" to the hospital at Parker, AZ.  Transportation would most likely be by *ground* ambulance.  NO guarantee whether amb attendants are EMTs or Paramedic certified. Of course, they must either be located there - or drive there from somewhere else!  Check the map! - Loooong drive!

Once *at* Parker, a doctor -or qualified person on staff- could request air transport to a fully equipped facility capable of handling the emergency.  That obviously equates to *TIME LOST*! 

(I would hope you would not go to your local "Urgent Care" for a heat attack or stroke!)

Note:  Paramedics are licensed within the state (and usually the county) where the service is provided.  Life support is obvious - however, starting IVs and administering medication is *NOT* reciprocal between jurisdictions - unless it is state law - or part of a mutual aid agreement*.

*BTW - the Colorado River is the dividing line between CA & AZ.

*If* there was a person at Q (which could even be *YOU*) - that person, or you - could request air transportation to a fully equipped emergency hospital.

Yes - there would be informational communications to determine the nature of the emergency, etc.

Ex:  A friend (Federal Firefighter & P/medic) was moving from the East Coast along with his wife (an RN) and two kids to his new assignment at MCAS El Toro, CA. (Base has since closed).  While crossing the desert they came upon a wreck of an overturned TT towed by a pickup.  The driver had a partially severed hand.  Other travelers were doing their best to render aid.  He and his wife took over - and immediately requested air (helicopter) transport.  It was provided.  Unfortunately, at the receiving -trama center- facility, the man's hand had to be amputated.

(Report as published from the MCAS El Toro base newspaper furnished upon request - in a post or a PM.  It will take up more space than this missive regarding your misunderstanding/s)

Lastly, many Firefighters (Paramedics & EMTs)  from the So. CA area do -and have- spent many enjoyable hours at various locations along the Colorado River, from Laughlin/Bullhead to Lake Havasu.  There are many permanent residents (retired from those occupations) residing on -or close to- "The River".  The so called "Parker Strip" is among the most popular locations for water skiing and boating. Unfortunately, it is also incurs numerous boating accidents - especially on major holidays, spring break, etc.

Hope all your medical issues agesilaus -  -  are BLS!

Edited by Pappy Yokum

OK TMI, if you are so concerned about being near to a full service medical/trauma center then the only thing you can do is stay away from remote areas. Stick to camping in urban parks would be best for you.

This is the requirement for AZ FF:

Education and Experience:

• Possess a high school diploma or GED equivalent.
  • Firefighter I & II certification or equivalent as determined by the Authority
  • NFPA Hazardous Materials /First Responder or equivalent as determined by the Authority
  • Possess current Arizona State Emergency Medical Care Technician (EMCT) or EMCT- Paramedic certification.

We have spent quite a bit of time along the Colorado River in AZ and have been in most of the hospitals at one time or another.  It has been years but the emergency room in Parker was excellent for our non life threatening problem.  The doctor was thorough and professional.   Further North is the hospital in Lake Havasu.  This hospital is clearly better prepared for such emergencies such as a heart attack.   Our experiences there have also been positive.  The last time Iooked this is a level 3 trauma center.  Unfortunately we have been in the hospital in Fort Mohave and the hospital in Bull Head City.  Our experiences there did not meet our expectations and we will try hard to avoid these two.  If possible we will go to Lake Havasu or Las Vegas. 

Edited by Randyretired

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

3 hours ago, Randyretired said:

If possible we will go to Lake Havasu or Las Vegas. 

I hope you'd have a choice.  As of now you'll go where they have room for you.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel