quartzite - what will happen there this year / Covid gonna close it ?

ARKIEGUIDE

20 hours ago, Randyretired said:

We have spent quite a bit of time along the Colorado River in AZ and have been in most of the hospitals at one time or another.  It has been years but the emergency room in Parker was excellent for our non life threatening problem. 

."....... excellent for our non life threatening problem".

Parker is just fine for that !!...

I got ambulanced to the Parker Emergency room from Buckskin Mountain State Park in 2014 with a first time case of A-Fib.  Spent the night at the hospital.  No complaints on service, although an interesting problem - I travel solo, and there was no taxi service (and at the time no Uber, etc).  A nurse volunteered to drive me the 12 miles back to the campground.  While I wouldn't recommend them for a dire emergency, there was helicopter sitting on a pad next to the hospital...

150150.jpg.30f49e1e712c4af11a1e8f523a24f5d1.jpg

Travel photos RV Blogs Journals & Travelogues at:
http://www.lakeshoreimages.com
My Travel Blog - Jon's Journeys

4 hours ago, vermilye said:

I got ambulanced to the Parker Emergency room from Buckskin Mountain State Park in 2014 with a first time case of A-Fib.  Spent the night at the hospital.  No complaints on service, although an interesting problem - I travel solo, and there was no taxi service (and at the time no Uber, etc).  A nurse volunteered to drive me the 12 miles back to the campground.  While I wouldn't recommend them for a dire emergency, there was helicopter sitting on a pad next to the hospital...

If you needed that helicopter "sitting on the pad" to be transported to fully/better equipped hospital....the decision (to eventually go elsewhere) would have equated to time lost!*

Wonder if it was waiting for the possibility of transporting you - or was based there at the time?  Anyone who frequents "The River" at the Parker Strip, is well aware of the number of serious boating accidents (often due to the mix of horsepower & alcohol).

The friend (also a Paramedic) I referenced in a previous post was an unfortunate victim of "time lost" - even though he was eventually air evacuated.  He was boating with his wife & kids (no alcohol involved by him) - but not the same by the boat operator who crashed into them.

There's no doubt the folks at Parker are dedicated to providing a level of care commensurate with their ability, education, training, etc. - as well as the equipment & facilities available *to* them to provide same,  including the Buckskin FD.

*Sometimes "choices" can work to your advantage or disadvantage.......no matter who makes them, which includes the one physician (available at Parker) mentioned by a poster.

Hopefully, if you are not able to make your own choice/s, the persons doing so on your behalf make the right one/s!

Edited by Pappy Yokum

In rural areas medical help is always a problem.  We spent last summer  where we were more than an hour from the nearest emergency room.  Help of any kind is not fast. We are building there and will be moving there.  It is part of living where we do.  Some years ago we lived in a county that didn't have a doctor in it.  The closest doctor was 60 miles away on mountain roads.  Sometimes these roads are impassable.  We understand the risk and it is worth it to us.  We are staying home this year but we know medical help is not local when we are at "Q" and limited along the river.

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

On 1/10/2021 at 2:49 PM, Lou Schneider said:

Isn't Palo Verde Hospital in Blythe about 20 miles closer to Q than Parker?

Distance between cities web site.

Q to Parker = 24 miles (ground) - 38 min

Q to Blythe = 22 miles (ground, major hwy) - 22 min

Palo Verde (w/ more docs) is a better choice!

(Nothing to do with Q. Parker is utilized as closest hospital due to/for the boaters & off-road injuries in the *immediate*  area.)

Edited by Pappy Yokum

4 hours ago, Pappy Yokum said:

Distance between cities web site.

Q to Parker = 24 miles (ground) - 38 min

Q to Blythe = 22 miles (ground, major hwy) - 22 min

Palo Verde (w/ more docs) is a better choice!

(Nothing to do with Q. Parker is utilized as closest hospital due to/for the boaters & off-road injuries in the *immediate*  area.)

Parker is also used because many of us have driven by it so know where to find it. I had never heard of Palo Verde Hospital before this thread started. Knowing of it now, I would go there from Q because of travel time.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

I was up that way yesterday a few things I noticed, boon dockers were in the BLM areas but certainly not full and many places had a lot of room. The tent was shorter. There was a few R V type vendors and many many non R V vendors. Was defiantly less of a R V show and I was able to get parking right near the big tent

Certainly agree with George the Greek. BLM ground not really used like usual. As I have said for the past several years, "the tent" was going down hill. Well it hit an all time low. We went yesterday and entered when the tent flap opened at 9 AM. Nobody waiting, row of "Johnny on the Spots" going unused. We parked on the south side of the tent at the side entrance. No south bound cross traffic to fool with as we made a left going north. I'd bet 65-70% of vendors were non RV related with lots of empty space. Verizon seemed to be the busiest stall in the tent. We then did the north and south outside rows next to the tent. Another joke as empty space was the rule. Another thing I noticed again yesterday as in previous years, numerous vendors are absent when the tent opens and their wares are just sitting on the table. Paying the rent the tent demands, you would think they would be there trying to turn a buck. When we left the tent, simply went out to US 95, turned north with no traffic going north or south. Got to Silly Al's Pizza about 10:45 and ordered. About 11:45 things started to boom in Silly Al's. Good food, good beer, and with good friends. 

Bottom line, Walmart in the Foothills in Yuma has more customers in just the veggie department. 

Edited by bobsallyh

Interesting comments about the tent.  I had heard similar comments about the tent being mostly non-RV related vendors, but not that it was so uncrowded.  Thanks for the report - there were a couple of vendors that I really would have liked to have talked to this year, but I just can’t make it there yet and I suspect those vendors (Battleborn for one) might not be there.

11 minutes ago, Kirk W said:

What is the parking like in the campgrounds and out at the LTVA's? It must be way down as well.

Yea Kirk when I was up that way last year it was crowded and any flat spot along the was was full of R V’s   This year the LTVA’s had  a lot of empty spaces. The parks in town seemed to have a good amount of rigs in them 

at the show I was a le to park right close to the tent 

Edited by George the greek