Latest Dish News Blackout???

This latest Dish news from cordcuttersnews website in quotes

"Nexstar Media Group is threatening to pull its channels from Dish, taking away customer access to 164 local channels in 120 markets across 42 states. Dish claims that Nexstar is “trying to use its market power to demand unreasonable rate increases while intentionally using millions of Americans as pawns in their negotiations.”

Nexstar is currently the largest local station owner. With control over more stations than any other broadcaster, the company has been raising its rates, resulting in TV providers passing those increases on to customers. Nexstar is asking Dish to pay over $1 billion in fees for their television channels".

Rest of this long story is on the cordcuttersnews website.

The FCC or Congress could put an end to these retransmission disputes that use the viewers as hostages by allowing the service providers to use out of market stations during blackouts.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

The good side of the Nextstar play is, their company isn't the only game in town. Locally the Nextstar station's programming ls broadcast on a different channel that is not controlled by them. One of my local channel  package from Dish.

UPDATE: Well, that has now gone away too.

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

The only Nextstar station I watch regularly on Dish is WGN. I won't lose any sleep picking another channel. 

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

How about letting all the brain sucking, time wasting conglomerates just fade away? Bring back the local news that means something and is not just a place to put commercials. Actual true information regarding what's going on in your life and not the lives of people you do not even have a chance to interact with. Bring back the local movie theater of course you will have to have your own pod to watch. Maybe not. Force the subscription services to act similar to the music subscription. You pay to hear music and no commercials. Last time I had cable it was more commercials than actual content. I will never pay for commercials.

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

It seems part of their purchase plans were to move as many sat subscribers as possible to their fiber and streaming services. I don't know how well that worked out in relation to the purchase price, but apparently not very well from what the investors are saying.

Dutch

On 11/28/2020 at 2:54 PM, lappir said:

How about letting all the brain sucking, time wasting conglomerates just fade away? Bring back the local news that means something and is not just a place to put commercials. Actual true information regarding what's going on in your life and not the lives of people you do not even have a chance to interact with. Bring back the local movie theater of course you will have to have your own pod to watch. Maybe not. Force the subscription services to act similar to the music subscription. You pay to hear music and no commercials. Last time I had cable it was more commercials than actual content. I will never pay for commercials.

Rod

Very well said and I agree.  If you are a TV internet streamer   then there are apps on Hulu, Roku, Vizio TV and Fire Stick that will allow you to view local TV stations (news) in large cities near you.  For instance in Reno, nevada I can watch local TV stations for free in San Francisco, reno and Sacramento. Happy Trails.

Edited by NamMedevac 70

Sent them a note and told them if it bother any of the local channels I watched, I'd just drop my locals from Dish and get them off air.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

Most aren't worth watching anyway.  I haven't missed anything since they dropped a few here in Tampa. They are not missing 236 channels from our available channels. Only about 3. So this headline is very misleading. These channels affect 115 markets or a little more that 2 channels per market on average. Not exactly earth shattering. Chuck

58dd65872f8a7_ReducedRVandCar.jpg.cf7b626fb3b5b05ebc20cb05195193a2.jpg

Chuck and Susan      1999 Fleetwood Bounder 34            Triton V10 on Ford Chassis

If you're in one of the 25 markets served by Locast or know how to alter your location for geo-location purposes, the missing stations are available for streaming free or as little as $5.50/mo with no donation reminders.

https://www.locast.org/

Dutch

20 hours ago, Dutch_12078 said:

If you're in one of the 25 markets served by Locast or know how to alter your location for geo-location purposes, the missing stations are available for streaming free or as little as $5.50/mo with no donation reminders.

https://www.locast.org/

Locast is great, and I didn't have to alter my location.  AT&T reports me as being in Huntington Beach, CA whenever I visit a chain store website even though I'm physically in Nevada.  Did the same for Locast so I qualified for the L.A. market channels.

7 hours ago, Lou Schneider said:

Locast is great, and I didn't have to alter my location.  AT&T reports me as being in Huntington Beach, CA whenever I visit a chain store website even though I'm physically in Nevada.  Did the same for Locast so I qualified for the L.A. market channels.

That's great, Lou! And if you need DVR capability for the Locast locals, check out https://www.stremium.com/. At $5/mo per 25 hours, it works quite well. Stremium has apps for most streaming devices with Roku and IOS in the works.

Dutch

• 2 weeks later...

We were able to change service  location to chase locals over tge past month and have them available. Three changes. 

Was on phone with Dish Loyalty dept to get our rates adjusted after incentives ended. They took care of us and found out that Apollo has settled with Dish. So we were able to change back to the Local in Orlando and ABC was back along with the rest. 

He mentioned that Nextsar(I think) should be settled in Jan sometime. 

Bill and Joan and 3 Collie pups

2001 Volvo VNL 770 "The Doghouse" Singled short, "ET" hItch VED12 465HP Gen 1 Autoshift 3.58 ratio  2005 Mobile Suite 38RL3  2011 Smart Passion loaded piggybacK

Weigh-It Portable RV Scales http://www.weighitrv.com/