Air Brake Test Question For Volvo Owners

Tahoe Shark

I am taking the driving portion of my non commercial A test in two weeks so I have been practicing the pre trip and air brake tests. I have an 09 Volvo 670 with a D13/Ishift transmission.

When I start the truck the low air buzzer and the red light/ dash light and warning message come on and continue until approximately 60 lbs of pressure builds and the buzzer and warnings disappear. It builds pressure rather quickly and the cut out activates at about 135lbs. Now here is the question. When I turn the truck off and the key back on it holds the same pressure with the brake applied for a minute easily. Now during the air bleeding process of pumping the brake the lights and dash visual warnings come on at about 60 lbs but the buzzer does not sound. I continue bleeding air off and the parking brake pops out at approx 25 lbs. is this normal or should the buzzer come on at 60 lbs as well as the lights? The driver test in Nevada seems he  to indicate all that is needed to pass is the visual warnings. Could some of the Volvo owners out there see if the buzzer comes on on the way down in pressure. If they do I may have to have a repair done to the truck to get the buzzer to activate.

Thanks in advance

Tim & Cheryl
2015 Mobile Suites 39 TKSB3
2009 Volvo 670 D13 I-Shift  “Walter”

Happily Living Somewhere In Nevada

649EF470-4F2A-4D47-8AB9-AFD3462E24F4.jpeg

You need a visual, as well as audible warning signal. How low dose the pressure have to drop before the buzzer kicks in? Or, does the key need to be cycled to initiate the buzzer? Either way, it should come on and off with the warning light.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Bleed it all the way down. Will it ever come on, without shutting off the key? Once the pressure is zeroed, cycle the key Off/On. Does the buzzer start instantly, or does the pressure have to sit low for a while (overnight, a week, a month) until you get around to starting the truck again? You should have 2 pressure switches, that run parallel, to control the light and buzzer. 1 switch fed from the wet tank, 1 from the dry tank. Either/or switch will control the indicators.

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication

Please e-mail us here.

Something sketchy in the system.

What about cycling the key? Instant alert, or does it have to sit a while before the buzzer kicks in?

Edited by Darryl&Rita

Please e-mail us here.

On my Volvo, the audio alarm only came on with the engine running.  When I took my CDL test I warned the examiner before we started that was how the Volvo works.  The requirement for an audio and visual alarm is only for a running engine.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

Bingo,

Thank you very much Mark! I just went outside and tried the same test with the engine running and all the warnings came on including the buzzer when quickly bleeding off the air. I will make sure to tell the examiner about how Volvo does the warnings.👍

Tim & Cheryl

1 minute ago, GlennWest said:

I wasn't required to do an air leak down test when I took driving test. Mine was in Livingston, TX

Nevada requires it for a non commercial A with a vehicle equipped with air brakes.

Tim & Cheryl

Yes, I understand that we are NOT commercial vehicles but the Fed Regs governing the equipment required in any truck tractor that is equipped with air brakes state you must have a warning device that "gives a continuous warning to a person in the normal driving position when the ignition is in the “on” (“run”) position and the air pressure in the service reservoir system is below 60 psi. The signal shall be either visible within the driver's forward field of view, or both audible and visible".

So, if you only have one it must be visual. We let deaf people drive, we do not let blind people drive. 

Edited by Big5er

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

So, if you only have one it must be visual. We let deaf people drive, we do not let blind people drive. “

You sure Phil?🤣

Edited by SuiteSuccess

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

11 hours ago, SuiteSuccess said:

So, if you only have one it must be visual. We let deaf people drive, we do not let blind people drive. “

You sure Phil?🤣

Except in Florida.........  When my blind father in law went in to renew his license, at the age of 91, they gave it to him for another 5 years.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

• 5 weeks later...

I would be happy to share what occurred on my driving test. This pertains to a Nevada class A non commercial test.

Appointment was @8am and I arrived early. Sat outside the DMV in 16 degree temps for 30 minutes (COVID rules). A nice lady who turned out to be the chief examiner approached me and asked if I was the non commercial applicant. I said yes and she informed me we would start promptly at 8 and there would be two additional examiner trainees joining us. Not good news for me I thought to myself.

At 8 the guard (yes Nevada has DMV guards) came and got me and sent me to a window for commercial and non commercial driving tests. I finished the paperwork, I already passed the written three tests, and was told to meet the examiners out in the test area. I made my way out and all three ladies were standing around my Volvo just looking at it. I chose to take my test with a 14,000 GVW dump trailer and it did look a little funny behind the 670. We introduced ourselves and the chief examiner told me all three would be grading me. Great, three chances to screw up.

We started the pre trip and it was in a different order than I studied but that was the rule for the day. I went through the engine compartment, wheels/tires, tractor coupling, trailer tongue , and lighting on the truck and trailer. We then did the cab check, engine start and air brake tests.

All three then met and graded me and I passed the pretrip portion. Then on to the lane forward, lane backing and the ally dock tests. Those were actually the least of my concerns, I have been pulling large trailers for 45 years. I passed those test without errors.

The last part was the street driving test and two of the three examiners were in the truck. It went well but I did get a couple of “suggestions”. I drove to slow in residential areas, I could slightly slow down on freeway exits and in the business sections I drove 30 instead of 35. Anyway I passed with flying colors and the ladies all thought the truck was awesome. 

My license arrived yesterday and now we will work on my wife getting her Class A N/C.

Tim & Cheryl

On 12/23/2020 at 7:42 PM, Tahoe Shark said:

I would be happy to share what occurred on my driving test. This pertains to a Nevada class A non commercial test.

Appointment was @8am and I arrived early. Sat outside the DMV in 16 degree temps for 30 minutes (COVID rules). A nice lady who turned out to be the chief examiner approached me and asked if I was the non commercial applicant. I said yes and she informed me we would start promptly at 8 and there would be two additional examiner trainees joining us. Not good news for me I thought to myself.

At 8 the guard (yes Nevada has DMV guards) came and got me and sent me to a window for commercial and non commercial driving tests. I finished the paperwork, I already passed the written three tests, and was told to meet the examiners out in the test area. I made my way out and all three ladies were standing around my Volvo just looking at it. I chose to take my test with a 14,000 GVW dump trailer and it did look a little funny behind the 670. We introduced ourselves and the chief examiner told me all three would be grading me. Great, three chances to screw up.

We started the pre trip and it was in a different order than I studied but that was the rule for the day. I went through the engine compartment, wheels/tires, tractor coupling, trailer tongue , and lighting on the truck and trailer. We then did the cab check, engine start and air brake tests.

All three then met and graded me and I passed the pretrip portion. Then on to the lane forward, lane backing and the ally dock tests. Those were actually the least of my concerns, I have been pulling large trailers for 45 years. I passed those test without errors.

The last part was the street driving test and two of the three examiners were in the truck. It went well but I did get a couple of “suggestions”. I drove to slow in residential areas, I could slightly slow down on freeway exits and in the business sections I drove 30 instead of 35. Anyway I passed with flying colors and the ladies all thought the truck was awesome. 

My license arrived yesterday and now we will work on my wife getting her Class A N/C.

Well done. 

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

1 hour ago, Tahoe Shark said:

Fortunately for me I took the test in Nevada. I missed your point.

If you are an unlicensed driver you cannot drive to your drivers test unless you have a properly licensed person with you or delivering your test vehicle to the location. 

I think that was the point. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

Not the case in rural Nevada. I asked specifically if I needed to have a class A driver come with me and the answer was no for non commercial.
It just seemed odd to me that the response to my story was “you would have failed in my state”. If I was in MD I would have done it differently.

Tim & Cheryl