Tahoe Shark

Air Brake Test Question For Volvo Owners

I am taking the driving portion of my non commercial A test in two weeks so I have been practicing the pre trip and air brake tests. I have an 09 Volvo 670 with a D13/Ishift transmission.

When I start the truck the low air buzzer and the red light/ dash light and warning message come on and continue until approximately 60 lbs of pressure builds and the buzzer and warnings disappear. It builds pressure rather quickly and the cut out activates at about 135lbs. Now here is the question. When I turn the truck off and the key back on it holds the same pressure with the brake applied for a minute easily. Now during the air bleeding process of pumping the brake the lights and dash visual warnings come on at about 60 lbs but the buzzer does not sound. I continue bleeding air off and the parking brake pops out at approx 25 lbs. is this normal or should the buzzer come on at 60 lbs as well as the lights? The driver test in Nevada seems he  to indicate all that is needed to pass is the visual warnings. Could some of the Volvo owners out there see if the buzzer comes on on the way down in pressure. If they do I may have to have a repair done to the truck to get the buzzer to activate.

Thanks in advance

You need a visual, as well as audible warning signal. How low dose the pressure have to drop before the buzzer kicks in? Or, does the key need to be cycled to initiate the buzzer? Either way, it should come on and off with the warning light.

Bleed it all the way down. Will it ever come on, without shutting off the key? Once the pressure is zeroed, cycle the key Off/On. Does the buzzer start instantly, or does the pressure have to sit low for a while (overnight, a week, a month) until you get around to starting the truck again? You should have 2 pressure switches, that run parallel, to control the light and buzzer. 1 switch fed from the wet tank, 1 from the dry tank. Either/or switch will control the indicators.

Bingo,

Thank you very much Mark! I just went outside and tried the same test with the engine running and all the warnings came on including the buzzer when quickly bleeding off the air. I will make sure to tell the examiner about how Volvo does the warnings.👍

1 minute ago, GlennWest said:

I wasn't required to do an air leak down test when I took driving test. Mine was in Livingston, TX

Nevada requires it for a non commercial A with a vehicle equipped with air brakes.

Yes, I understand that we are NOT commercial vehicles but the Fed Regs governing the equipment required in any truck tractor that is equipped with air brakes state you must have a warning device that "gives a continuous warning to a person in the normal driving position when the ignition is in the “on” (“run”) position and the air pressure in the service reservoir system is below 60 psi. The signal shall be either visible within the driver's forward field of view, or both audible and visible".

So, if you only have one it must be visual. We let deaf people drive, we do not let blind people drive. 

Edited by Big5er

So, if you only have one it must be visual. We let deaf people drive, we do not let blind people drive. “

You sure Phil?🤣

Edited by SuiteSuccess