Winter camping checklist

jules2go

I'm putting together a winter camping checklist (after having winterized the camper and packed the necessary clothing, bedding, and food) and need tips from experienced people. This will be my first year of camping in my trailer in the winter, and I've only had it since May 2020. I'm heading back out this weekend and the temps will be 28-32 for several hours on a couple of the nights. I doubt that I'll be out there if it's much lower than 25 at night, and I live in the southern part of Appalachia if that helps. TIA. 

Nucamp T@b 320S, Toyota Tacoma

Asheville. NC

Don't postpone joy!

My experience has found if the nighttime lows do not go below 27° and daytime highs reach 50° in an unheated  TT the plumbing will not freeze. The residual daytime heat in the TT ie enough to keep the plumbing from freezing.

In a heated TT the plumbing is even more safe. The only concern will be if you leave your water hose out at night. Of course that is why a TT is self-contained, you may fill your water tank, drain and store your hose until your water tank is empty then refill as necessary.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

That sounds about right. 

In every "unheated" trailer at 25 degrees I froze up, unless I continually go up through the night and ran water through the facets. 

I disconnect the water line if it goes below freezing. 

Edited by Vladimir

Vladimr Steblina

Retired Forester...exploring the public lands.

usbackroads.blogspot.com

I assume that you will be in your 2020 NuCamp trailer for the trip? If so it looks like the kitchen is only accessible when outdoors so probably is not heated? If correct I see now why you are winterizing. It looks like a trailer that I would have really enjoyed in my younger days, but not so much today. It reminds me a bit of the days when I used to hunt in the WY mountains from a teepee with the kitchen outdoors and under a fly. I'm afraid that I probably can't help you  much but because it has been too long since I did any camping that way. I'd be very interested to hear about the trip once you return!

I-05-1024x576.jpg

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Oh yes, I almost forgot.  I spent a winter trapping from a log cabin in the mountains in Maine.  Heated with a wood stove.  No running water.  Outhouse.  Wear layers.  Wear light layers that you can peel off or add to.  The innermost layer should be one that wicks sweat away from you.  And wool will still keep you warm when wet.

These days the only snow I see is on TV or in friends' email/texts.  They had three feet in Saskatoon this week.

Jinx and Wayne

2006 Carriage Carri-Lite 36KSQ

Thank you everyone! My tt is the Nucamp Tab 320S (kitchen inside). It has propane (or electric) heat via an Alde system which works great (so far anyway!). I have solar, will be dry camping so no hoses to deal with. I forgot to mention all of that in my OP, sorry.

Looking at the forecast again I think I'll be ok not to winterize for this trip as it will only be below freezing for a few hours one of the nights and then up well above freezing the rest of the time. My climate in western NC def gets cold, but as the planet is warming, it has been less so. Last winter I don't think we had any snow to speak of. It would be so nice not to have to winterize very often, but I did buy several gallons of pink stuff, along with 10 bags of pinon logs from NM that I was THRILLED to have found at Lowes!! 

Asheville. NC

Don't postpone joy!

1 hour ago, jules2go said:

It has propane (or electric) heat via an Alde system which works great (so far anyway!).

The Alde system is new to me, so I'm going to have to do some reading and research. It sure looks impressive so please do keep us updated on how it works out for you. Things like comfort and fuel consumption or electrical requirements would be of great interest. I look forward to hearing how it works out for you. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Kirk I was just reading the Alde System introduction it sounds like an updated Hydrohot system to me.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

I'm back from my little excursion, was warm at night, no issues. Everything worked as it should. One thing I thought about was how much propane might be left in my tank. Is there a gauge available to help with this and/or what does everyone do? If I were to be out on an extended trip I'd probably bring a second tank with me. 

Asheville. NC

Don't postpone joy!

During cool weather the best "gauge" is a cup of warm water slowly poured down the side of the LP tank. A frost line will quickly form at the LP liquid level.

Small indicator strips are sold at virtually all RV supply stores that use the same thermodynamic theory. Their downside is if you exchange tanks you lose the indicator strip.

The inline pressure gauge is of no use, as there is always the same pressure in the tank until it is nearly empty.

Edited by Ray,IN

1 hour ago, Ray,IN said:

During cool weather the best "gauge" is a cup of warm water slowly poured down the side of the LP tank. A frost line will quickly form at the LP liquid level.

X2

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

8 hours ago, jules2go said:

Is there a gauge available to help with this and/or what does everyone do? 

I personally like and use this.  It is very handy and can be used on any propane tank to check the level of liquid inside.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

Thank you for these ideas for propane tank evaluation. Switching out a tank in the middle of a cold night is not something I'm looking forward to doing, so I'll have to get a plan. 

Edited by jules2go

Asheville. NC

Don't postpone joy!

We have the Mopeka sensors for ALL our propane tanks.

our friends have now gotten them too. It’s an app on your phone, you can see exactly how much propane you have in all your tanks.

https://mopeka.com/

Sue and Paul- fulltimed 2009 -2015 with Dozer, our Gray Tuxedo cat

2012 DRV Mobile Suites 36TKSB4 pulled by a 2020 F350 Platinum

Our "vacation home" : 2018 Arctic Fox 1150 truck camper

RIP Dozey

http://soos-ontheroad.blogspot.com/

I had Mopeka sensors 2-1/2 years ago.  The sensor units were so large that the would get crushed under the tanks unless you were very careful putting them in the racks.  I had two 40# with a filled weight over 75# and a waist level tank drawer.  Careful was not always in the cards and they died after a couple of fills. Maybe there is a new, smaller sensor. I'm using Chad's Truma sensor and like it.  It is the size of roll of large coins.  It is cheaper than Mopeka, too.

2 hours ago, soos said:

We have the Mopeka sensors for ALL our propane tanks.

Jinx and Wayne

2006 Carriage Carri-Lite 36KSQ

• 3 weeks later...

Since your camper is winterized, you will need to bring some jugs for a supply of water.  At a low of 25 degrees, you might want to consider dewinterizing.  You should have no issues with water or waste tanks at those temps.  

I have made just a few adjustments for cold weather camping.  I hung a blackout curtain that covers the rear door and greatly cuts down on the cold.  Second I stuff some rags in the kitchen exhaust vent.  Otherwise cold air can blow in.  At one time I made reflectix vent covers.  I don't use them anymore since I found that ventilation was a necessity in cold weather due to condensation.

I have a couple of jumbo hot water bottles that work great Amazon.  Each holds about a quart of boiling water.  They are very tough, never leak, and there is a cover to slowly dissipate the heat.  They warm up the bed and keep it warm for most of the night.  With the hot water bottles and enough blankets, I have been able to conserve propane and turn the furnace off overnight.  When I get up in the morning the RV temp might be in the 40s but the furnace is good sized and it heats up quickly.  

Edited by JimK

4 hours ago, JimK said:

I have a couple of jumbo hot water bottles that work great

Hot water bottles and night caps are two things that were often used before central heating became common. We can learn a lot of survival techniques by researching history.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van