re; the travel log forum

Ray,IN

JesseA is complaining about getting ordered to evacuate from a NF during a fire emergency order. Is that whining or just advertising his video channel? BTW I never click on such a link.

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

I stopped looking at their posts months ago. All they were showing was them walking down un-named trails with their dogs near un-named camping sites. When I posted a comment saying it would be good to know where these places actually were he replied that he did not want to say because too many people would use it. So he wanted to have a popular vblog about them marching behind their dogs in mystery locations.

I pointed out that was not how it worked and stopped looking at his material. I think he got other comments along the same line. I heard is somewhat mended his ways but there are too many other people out there with good blogs.

Also I think he, no surprise, is aiming at the younger crowd of campers.

Interesting subject to me because I had a conversation with our IT contact about Jessie and his posts only being videos intended to drive people to his Youtube channel. The decision was to let him do this since he seems to get a lot of visitors and for that reason he is still part of the forums. I suspect that if there were a consensus from the forum members to do so we he could be taken down. 

How about it? Lets hear from everyone what the opinion is. Does Jessie A contribute something worthwhile or would you rather that he were blocked from further postings? 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Live and Let Live.  If you don't like what he says, don't go there.  If he violates the rules then someone will deal with it.  Getting a group consensus for someone to be outed seems a bit much.  What's next, getting rid of someone who has a different opinion but stays within the rules?  In football they call this "piling on."

19 hours ago, Ray,IN said:

JesseA is complaining about getting ordered to evacuate from a NF during a fire emergency order. Is that whining or just advertising his video channel? BTW I never click on such a link.

Spam in my opinion.  They regularly post the same stuff in several Facebook groups.

If nothing else it is sensationalism, they were evacuated due to nearby fires, not "kicked out".

2018 Keystone Cougar

2016 Chevrolet Silverado 3500 DRW D/A

3 hours ago, Kirk W said:

Interesting subject to me because I had a conversation with our IT contact about Jessie and his posts only being videos intended to drive people to his Youtube channel. The decision was to let him do this since he seems to get a lot of visitors and for that reason he is still part of the forums. I suspect that if there were a consensus from the forum members to do so we he could be taken down. 

How about it? Lets hear from everyone what the opinion is. Does Jessie A contribute something worthwhile or would you rather that he were blocked from further postings? 

I do not want to see him blocked, I simply wanted a venue to tell him how I  feel about the self-promotion since I cannot reply to his post in that forum. He has just as much right to post on these discussions as I, IF he is upfront concerning his goal, making money from his video channel.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Probably not practical but has he ever participated in other forums here? Maybe a requirement to be an slightly active poster in other forums in order to use that Travel Log forum. If there was a complaint about something a moderator could do a quick check to see if he is using the other forums.

But again he is a minor irritant, but maybe a more serious one to others who would like to use that forum. I don't care if he goes or stays otherwise. Maybe someone should issue a warning to him and let him defend himself.

Edited by agesilaus

4 hours ago, Kirk W said:

Why would we single Jesse A out and apply this criteria?  There are many people on these forums that would have trouble meeting this incredibly subjective criteria.  Are we going to begin voting on others who bother us??

It is simple. If you don't like their content, don't click on it. 

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

3 hours ago, Mr. Camper said:

If he violates the rules then someone will deal with it. 

That was the subject of the discussion since posting spam is against the forum rules and has been at least since the 1990's. The subject of the discussion was that an IT employee who I had occasion to speak with for unrelated reasons asked if I considered it to be spam, mostly because it is an income generating channel and the owner has not posted anything else to the forums. He made two posts prior to starting this run. The IT concern was that he might run off the posts of such things made by active members of these forums and to me that does seem to have been happening. 

3 hours ago, Mr. Camper said:

Getting a group consensus for someone to be outed seems a bit much. 

It is an attempt to keep the forums serving the members who participate. That is the only reason to go to the expense of having a forum since it does not run on the owned server but is on one that is dedicated to hosting forums for organizations, for a fee. The question came up because the management does care.

30 minutes ago, agesilaus said:

If there was a complaint about something a moderator could do a quick check to see if he is using the other forums.

If you click on the author's name in the upper left corner it will open a window that shows more about the poster and a list of their recent posts. Anyone can do that. 

10 minutes ago, mptjelgin said:

There are many people on these forums that would have trouble meeting this incredibly subjective criteria.

I am not sure what criteria you are speaking of? The only question was if others consider his posts to be spam and detrimental to the forums. I would point out that it was not me or any moderator or IT person who originally brought it up. The only criteria are those of the guidelines listed at the top of each page. 

10 minutes ago, Kirk W said:

I am not sure what criteria you are speaking of? The only question was if others consider his posts to be spam and detrimental to the forums.

That most certainly was not the only question put forth. 

The specific question that you yourself put forth just four hours ago was this: "Does Jessie A contribute something worthwhile or would you rather that he were blocked from further postings?".  Also included in the statement was "Lets hear from everyone what the opinion is."

You, as a "Weekend Moderator", asked the specific question and solicited opinions from others. That lends some weight to the discussion as it appears that the topic is under consideration by the "staff" that oversees the forum.  So my question stands. Are we going to start voting on who does or does not contribute something worthwhile to the forum?

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

25 minutes ago, mptjelgin said:

You, as a "Weekend Moderator", asked the specific question and solicited opinions from others.

Yes, to pass on to the one from IT who asked me. Weekend Moderators have no involvement in those decisions, we only remove clear spam. It is the IT department who make decisions on what is or isn't spam if it is in doubt. Go read the first post in the thread, which is what triggered my question. It is my intent to point this thread out to the IT person who asked so they can read what people respond. 

In addition, weekend moderators do not remove anything, only hide it so that someone from IT can make the call during normal working hours. If they disagree, the put the post back and let us know why. 

Edited by Kirk W
Add information.

Ray

I just went back and watched the video again, and I didn't find one place were either Jesse or Melissa complained about being told they needed to leave, but were more grateful that they were told that it had been closed, when the day before it was open. And  Melissa said how courteous the Ranger was  in letting them know that it had been closed.

Edited by Larry Burkett
adding to

On 10/19/2020 at 6:31 PM, Ray,IN said:

I do not want to see him blocked, I simply wanted a venue to tell him how I  feel about the self-promotion since I cannot reply to his post in that forum. He has just as much right to post on these discussions as I, IF he is upfront concerning his goal, making money from his video channel.

I agree with your point about self-promotion.  Economists might describe the exploitation like this (from WikiPedia):

"The tragedy of the commons is a situation in a shared-resource system where individual users, acting independently according to their own self-interest, behave contrary to the common good of all users by depleting or spoiling the shared resource through their collective action."

As you observed, the Travel Log forum is unique - feedback is prohibited.

Like junk mail or spam, folks will eventually ignore him, stop clicking on his links, and hopefully he'll contribute, or go away.

That's not an unreasonable approach IMO.

Edited by DanZemke
clarity

Volvo 770, New Horizons Majestic and an upcoming Smart car

4 hours ago, DanZemke said:

I agree with your point about self-promotion.  Economists might describe the exploitation like this (from WikiPedia):

"The tragedy of the commons is a situation in a shared-resource system where individual users, acting independently according to their own self-interest, behave contrary to the common good of all users by depleting or spoiling the shared resource through their collective action."

As you observed, the Travel Log forum is unique - feedback is prohibited.

Like junk mail or spam, folks will eventually ignore him, stop clicking on his links, and hopefully he'll contribute, or go away.

That's not an unreasonable approach IMO.

Got it! I simply clicked on an interesting thread title, that stops tonight. I'll overcome my compulsion to help or learn-well, perhaps not.

31 minutes ago, agesilaus said:

Well this travel log forum and the for sales forums are the only ones I see that could be subjected to this sort of thing. I'm halfway surprised that Jesse was willing to pay to join if this is all he does. He must be making more money that I imagined,

You do not have to join Escapees to participate in this forum. I do not believe Jessa A paid anything to post here.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van