HDT owner, choosing between FL and TX

Sculptor

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, Darryl&Rita said:

A private truck is not commercial.

Well, it tows 21k+ weight. Weighs close to that by itself. In Texas it would be. It is a commercial truck. You register as a truck not an rv. 

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

1 hour ago, GlennWest said:

Well, it tows 21k+ weight. Weighs close to that by itself. In Texas it would be. It is a commercial truck. You register as a truck not an rv. 

It many jurisdictions, you get three choices for registration. Commercial, Private Truck, or RV. If Private is an option, Commercial is off the table.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

16 hours ago, GlennWest said:

But wouldn't you need a cdl is registered as private truck. It is a commercial truck.

Mine is not commercial.  We have the choice of Private Truck or House car.  Mine is House Car, which means converted, to motorhome.  (So they told me) I had it inspected by the state and they were very interested to see how easy it would be to put it back into service as a commercial truck once I drove away.  I had no fifth wheel hitch at the time only a “bumper pull “ receiver .

I just wanted to take a second to thank everyone who have added to my knowledge on this post.  Very helpful!

Edited by Sculptor

Kevin and June

2013 Volvo VNL 730    D13 Eco-Torque @ 425  Ratio 2.47 

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

Signature.jpegmKgUJbbl.jpg

Registered as Motorhome in Dickson County and previously in Williamson County, TN. Title says "MH."

If you attach it to a home or home rental policy in TN, insurance is cheap. I have FT insurance through AIS now (General backend). Didn't want to rely on the home/rental route as coverage was different. 

HTH,

Shannon

2003 International Eagle 9200i, Cummins ISX, Freedomline

2007 Teton Scottsdale XT4

On 7/27/2020 at 2:01 PM, GlennWest said:

No Glenn. You can register it as a unicycle if you want to. It's based on what it's doing. A motorhome can be commercial...or not. Even a moped can be commercial in the right situation. 

Edited by Big5er

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

On 7/30/2020 at 6:33 PM, Big5er said:

No Glenn. You can register it as a unicycle if you want to. It's based on what it's doing. A motorhome can be commercial...or not. Even a moped can be commercial in the right situation. 

You stated if you registed an HDT as a private truck in Texas you need to be commercial.  My mistake. You do need a CDL though. I just automatically relate CDL to commercial.

Edited by GlennWest

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

On 7/30/2020 at 7:59 PM, GlennWest said:

You stated if you registed an HDT as a private truck in Texas you need to be commercial.

Nope...never said that. Maybe you misunderstood??

2014 smart Fortwo

On 7/23/2020 at 2:43 PM, lockmup68 said:
On 7/23/2020 at 6:42 PM, geodog said:

registration of an HDT as a motorhome is really easy in Texas.

You con get it done  quickly in Polk Couny if you have the required appliances in the  truck.

My 2003 VNL 610 ,which is still  tandem costs less than $250.00/year.

ShortyO

Thanks Geo, I found this play by play first hand account this morning.  In theory it sounds straightforward.  The glitches are to be expected most anywhere I suppose.
Texas Driving Exam

On 7/24/2020 at 8:25 AM, SuiteSuccess said:

Since I was one of the first in East Tennessee it wasn’t painless.  It took several calls to Nashville and some hand holding of my county clerk.  After all that finally walked in and told them I was registering as a Motorhome and that’s what they did.  Since your truck is already converted I think it would be relatively easy.  Just be sure registration says MH before you walk out of their office.  I know other factors may influence your decision but I love TN.  No special license required.  Tennesseans like limited government. 

Another question I have is about a TN mailing address.  Carl or anyone else have experience with mailing?

It appears that, if we choose TN, we will need a mailing service based in TN so escapees is not possible at this time.  I read somewhere that a TN mailing company folded and headaches followed for all.  I didn’t look for details.  

Kevin and June

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

11 hours ago, Sculptor said:

Another question I have is about a TN mailing address.  Carl or anyone else have experience with mailing?

It appears that, if we choose TN, we will need a mailing service based in TN so escapees is not possible at this time.  I read somewhere that a TN mailing company folded and headaches followed for all.  I didn’t look for details.  

Sculptor,

I'm using a UPS Brown Store in TN, however last November when I renewed my truck and trailer in Williams County they didn't want to renew without a real house address. The lady did agreed to do it if I paid cash but told me she would talk to her boss on Monday and they may call me and cancel the registration. They never called but in November I have to do it again. TN really doesn't allow PMD's as an address but several of us have gotten away with it for awhile, @ 4 years for us. The wife renewed her licenses in Crossville last June and they made her do a new application for renewal and sent it to Nashville for approval. They did approve it. When you transfer from NC to TN they may require you to have 2 proofs of address it is in there law they will accept insurance invoice, electric bill. phone bill or other utilities. I use to have a copy of the rule, I'll see if I can find it. found it 

https://www.tn.gov/revenue/title-and-registration/vehicle-titling---registration/vehicle-titling/titling-a-vehicle--new-residents-or-those-relocating-to-tennessee-.html

Hope this help,

Ken....

Edited by hatrack

IMG_856.png.ae22d1dc2b12f9fb806b4e17121ee0b0.png

2017 DRV Fullhouse JX450

2020 Volvo VNR 42-640, D13, 455hp, Ishift, 189"wb, factory single, ET Junior Hitch @ 195", Jacklopee, Directlink

2016 GMC 3500 Denali DRW, CC, LB, Curt 25k, Sold

14 hours ago, hatrack said:

Sculptor,

I'm using a UPS Brown Store in TN, however last November when I renewed my truck and trailer in Williams County they didn't want to renew without a real house address. The lady did agreed to do it if I paid cash but told me she would talk to her boss on Monday and they may call me and cancel the registration. They never called but in November I have to do it again. TN really doesn't allow PMD's as an address but several of us have gotten away with it for awhile, @ 4 years for us. The wife renewed her licenses in Crossville last June and they made her do a new application for renewal and sent it to Nashville for approval. They did approve it. When you transfer from NC to TN they may require you to have 2 proofs of address it is in there law they will accept insurance invoice, electric bill. phone bill or other utilities. I use to have a copy of the rule, I'll see if I can find it. found it 

https://www.tn.gov/revenue/title-and-registration/vehicle-titling---registration/vehicle-titling/titling-a-vehicle--new-residents-or-those-relocating-to-tennessee-.html

Thank you very much for looking this up for me Ken!

I can see that domicile could be done easily enough with an actual address.  We might have an option that would work better than a PO Box.

Kevin and June

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

On 8/1/2020 at 8:24 AM, GlennWest said:

You are associating a CDL with "commercial". But you are correct in that the law in Texas says you need a CDL...but that does not make you "commercial", ie DOT number, markings etc. 

2014 smart Fortwo

Ok, just so I'm sure on this. If my truck was registered in Texas as Private Truck, when I am bobtail, I am required to have a CDL. 

Edited by GlennWest

On 7/31/2020 at 10:45 PM, Big5er said:

Nope...never said that. Maybe you misunderstood??

Hi Phil, a few posts above, I posted a link I found about the Texas licensing requirements for an HDT motorhome.  My assumption is, the couple who wrote the article were misinformed about the need for the testing and licensing they did.  Is that too simple of an assumption?

And thanks also for your expertise in these matters.

Quoted: the bottom line is that you must have a CDL-B type of driver’s license to (A) drive non-commercial, personally owned vehicles like a motorhome, (B) if that vehicle exceeds 26,000 pounds GVW, or (C) has air brakes. We met all three criteria. 

http://www.aboutrving.com/rv-topics/moving-to-texas-and-passing-the-motorhome-driving-exam/

Kevin and June

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

3 hours ago, Sculptor said:

Hi Phil, a few posts above, I posted a link I found about the Texas licensing requirements for an HDT motorhome.  My assumption is, the couple who wrote the article were misinformed about the need for the testing and licensing they did.  Is that too simple of an assumption?

And thanks also for your expertise in these matters.

Quoted: the bottom line is that you must have a CDL-B type of driver’s license to (A) drive non-commercial, personally owned vehicles like a motorhome, (B) if that vehicle exceeds 26,000 pounds GVW, or (C) has air brakes. We met all three criteria. 

http://www.aboutrving.com/rv-topics/moving-to-texas-and-passing-the-motorhome-driving-exam/

Texas requires you to have the proper class (A,B or C) of drivers license for the type of vehicle you are operating. Texas has Class A, Class B and Class C Commercial drivers licenses and Class A, Class B, Class C and Class M (motorcycle) drivers licenses. 
As long as you are exempt from the CDL requirements, you just need the proper class of DL. 
Also, air brakes is a commercial DL only thing so for your purposes it is immaterial. 

Edited by Big5er

2014 smart Fortwo

4 hours ago, rickeieio said:

Doesn't TX offer a non-commercial DL-A?

Glenn's answer should have been "yes". The rest of his info is correct.

2014 smart Fortwo

1 minute ago, GlennWest said:

Now Phil, nowhere on my license does it say non commercial. Just DL Class A. 

Correct. It is either a "Commercial" Drivers license or its just a Drivers License. 

2014 smart Fortwo

On 8/1/2020 at 4:41 PM, hatrack said:

Sculptor,

Hope this help,

Ken....

Go to Dickson County. Williamson county is terrible and way more expensive. 

2003 International Eagle 9200i, Cummins ISX, Freedomline

2007 Teton Scottsdale XT4

• 1 month later...
On 8/1/2020 at 5:41 PM, hatrack said:

When you transfer from NC to TN they may require you to have 2 proofs of address it is in there law they will accept insurance invoice, electric bill. phone bill or other utilities. I use to have a copy of the rule, I'll see if I can find it. found it 

Hope this help,

Ken....

Hi Ken,  I filled out the online form for a new drivers license.  As you said TN requires two proofs of residency.  Our son lives here so “fudging” 2 receipts might be possible but might bite me later for example, at tax time.  Scratching my head for now.
I went back over this topic for some inspiration.

Kevin and June

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

9 minutes ago, Sculptor said:

Hi Ken,  I filled out the online form for a new drivers license.  As you said TN requires two proofs of residency.  Our son lives here so “fudging” 2 receipts might be possible but might bite me later for example, at tax time.  Scratching my head for now.
I went back over this topic for some inspiration.

Sculptor,

TN has no income tax so unless you are running a business or have a very big income from 401k you should not have to file a TN tax return. I believe TN doesn't tax 401k income until I believe @ $300,000.00 of withdrawal. We do our Federal taxes with no problems. We got random audited  a couple years ago and IRS didn't say anything about address. The only problem we had was last year with Williamson County on plates. We go back in November. Going to try and go to a different teller this year.

Ken....

IMG_856.png.ae22d1dc2b12f9fb806b4e17121ee0b0.png

2017 DRV Fullhouse JX450

2020 Volvo VNR 42-640, D13, 455hp, Ishift, 189"wb, factory single, ET Junior Hitch @ 195", Jacklopee, Directlink

2016 GMC 3500 Denali DRW, CC, LB, Curt 25k, Sold