Used 5th Wheel recommendations for family of 6, $15k-$20k range

RoamingRanger

Hi,

Our family- myself, my wife and our four daughters under 10, is considering roadschooling and I'm looking for recommendations for 5th wheels. What would you recommend in the $15,000 to $20,000 range? I realize this isn't a huge budget but I was hoping to come across something 5-7 years old or perhaps an older, higher end brand (Hitchhiker, Teton, etc) that is not longer in production. I'm fairly handy and can fix minor/moderate issues but would rather not buy a project. Also, I'm assuming a bunkhouse layout would be best for our family but am open to other suggestions. If you have a specific brand or model that you'd recommend, please let me know. Thanks so much!

HitchHiker, Carriage, Cameo,  Excel, Teton are all good choices.  With these trailers, they all are heavy and with a family of 6, you will be heavy with all of the supplies.  These trailer never had much in the way of bunkhouse style plans

My concern is what will you use to haul a family of 6 and pull a larger 5th wheel.  These trailer for a family will be 36 to 40 foot and require a 1 ton dually as a minimum.  Have you taken into account all of the weight and the cost of a large tow vehicle.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

Thank you both for your replies. I'll add your recommendations to my research list. 

TXiceman- You are correct, tow vehicle recommendations are next on my list of questions. Based on the research I've done so far, we'll likely fall into the MDT or HDT category unless we settle on a smaller, lightweight trailer. To complicate things a bit further, we also need something that can seat six people. I'll be starting a tow vehicle recommendations thread next but if you have any input, I'd love to hear.

Thank you both for your contributions!

Thanks Linda. My assumption is that Toy Haulers, generally speaking they aren't insulated as well or designed for full time living. Is this correct?

Also, I've been researching some of the recommended models listed above and it seems like bunkhouses are not available. Can anyone tell me if any of these higher end, older models came in bunkhouse layouts?

Edited by RoamingRanger

They insulated as good as the majority are. They just aren't as nice usually. There are some very low quality ones also. There are people that full time in them. If you chase the modert temps this isn't as big a deal. Naturally it is a plus but with bunk beds your choices are going to be limited.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

A toy hauler with bunk beds is popular with larger families. Some have a half bath back there, too. I think finding one where everyone can sit at the table is a bigger challenge.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

7 hours ago, RoamingRanger said:

Thanks Linda. My assumption is that Toy Haulers, generally speaking they aren't insulated as well or designed for full time living. Is this correct?

Also, I've been researching some of the recommended models listed above and it seems like bunkhouses are not available. Can anyone tell me if any of these higher end, older models came in bunkhouse layouts?

We have a full-timer friend with a toy hauler for his cycle.  However, when they arrive at the campsite they take out the cycle; roll out a room-size piece of carpet and hang a drapery across the ugly rear door which won't be used after they're parked.  They have a desk, bookcase and comfy chairs in it and it becomes their den.  It's very comfortable-looking.  They also added sheet insulation on the walls & covered it with paneling.  Looks nice.  It's not an upscale toy hauler and it's much older.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

2 hours ago, RoamingRanger said:

OK, I'll have to add Toy Haulers to the list. Any particular make/models I should look into?

I have a heartland Cyclone toy hauler.  It's big and we switched to pulling it with an HDT.  It's cheaply made and things fall apart fast.  Their company customer support team ain't worth a hoot.  We won't be purchasing from that company ever again.

We also purchased a TT "travel trailer" last summer from Bill Plemmons RV in Raleigh.  It's a Imagine 2800BH, bunkhouse, made by Grand Design.  It's just me and the wife so it's not crowded, our kids are grown so it's good for us.  You and your family would most likely find it tight.  I tell you all of this to say that this dealership is the only one in this state that gives you a life time warranty.  So... whenever we get the toy hauler out of the shop and paid down some, we plan to get rid of it and purchase a Grand Design toy hauler.  We use the toy hauler for trips out west and out to Sturges.  Once we pull the car or motorcycle's out we use it as a second room when family and friends show up.  Also to note is that Grand Design will also will have a lifetime warranty on that toy hauler.

Best of luck in your searching process.

V/r

Ben, chief916

For an up scale toyhauler boor at the DRV Mobile Suites.  It is heavy and better insulated.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

53 minutes ago, GlennWest said:

Doubt one will find a toyhauler DRV in their price range.

I doubt it as well.  Our daughter and husband started looking for a bunkhouse RV last year with a budget.  They quickly realized that it was not possible and their budget increased.

Ken

Check out this site to give you an idea of what's out there for the price you're considering.  Here are their toy haulers and you can filter any other type.  We sold ours through PPL and they were great to work with.  They do a LOT of business and things move out fast.

https://www.pplmotorhomes.com/used-rvs-for-sale/toy-haulers?sortBy=price+asc

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

If looking for "experienced" toyhaulers, Newmar X-Aire and Carriage C-Force are good.  You'll likely not find either newer than about 2008.  Good construction, and many are fitted with important upgrades, like Dexter axles, hydraulic disc brakes, etc.  BUT, they also hold their value pretty well. Plus, they tend to be heavy.  Ours, loaded, is 21k.

BTW, the DRV toyhauler is called a Fullhouse.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Excel made toyhaulers.  They came to the toyhauler manufacturing late, so I don't know how many they made or how many may now be available.  But Excel (Peterson Industries) made an excellent RV.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

Thank you all for your input. 

2gypsies- Thanks for the PPL website recommendation, I'm still in the research/gathering information phase but I've been checking their website occasionally to get a sense on options and pricing.

We're currently living overseas so unfortunately we're limited to internet research for the time being which has its obvious limitations. I'm looking forward to being able to tour the different 5th Wheel and Toy Hauler options at some point so we can get a better sense of what would meet our needs best but for the time being, we'll continue to gather information online. 

• 2 weeks later...

Teton scottsdale is 2 bedroom with bunks. XT4 is four slide model, but they are rare. And 12 year old Tetons, are typically more than your price range, depending on condition of course. 

Shannon

2003 International Eagle 9200i, Cummins ISX, Freedomline

2007 Teton Scottsdale XT4

• 2 weeks later...

I will pass on some advice I got some years ago that served me well.

When buying used you dont need the newest one you can afford. Get the highest quality built one you can afford.

I have had Forrest river and Jayco. I would buy another one in a heartbeat.

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.