Recommended Truck Tires......for tow vehicle.

Vladimir

I need to buy new tires for the one-ton Dodge Ram.

In the past, I had Goodyear Wranglers.....I really liked them. The did delaminate after seven years and did some damage to the rig. I also think they are only made in China these days.

Les Schwab....Open Country All-Terrain Tires...bought these from Schwab and in Canada from a independent tire dealer. Ok, tires, but wore out quickly.

Michelin.....LTX M/S....These came standard on the Dodge. Good tires....really liked them. They went to 70,000 miles. So I bought the same tires from Costco 40,000 miles later they are toast.

So any advice on tires....given the two I liked?? Thanks.

Vladimr Steblina

Retired Forester...exploring the public lands.

usbackroads.blogspot.com

B F Goodrich All Terain in my opinion are the best truck tires out there. Make sure you get the KO2 model. I think they may even have the KO3 now. I always had them on my Ford F-350. I now have a Jeep Wrangler and get the BF Goodrich Mud Terain. A little harder and noiser ride but good for a Jeep going off road. If you want to save a little money they also make the Rugged Terain. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

8 hours ago, Twotoes said:

B F Goodrich All Terain in my opinion are the best truck tires out there.

That is what I have on my Dodge/Cummins too. So far they seem to be doing quite well but they are only 2 years old now and have only about 10k miles on them. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

What rim size?

Nitto Duratracs come in high load rating for 17”. But they are considered “3 season” I think. 

More choice in 18” rim. I have Toyo M-55’s on my truck camper hauler F 3 fitty. They are a famously rugged tire on gravel and rock chit in our resource industry. Expensive but “wear like a pig’s nose” They sing a little on smooth pavement but tolerable. They do not have sidewall lugs like an off road oriented tire.

Do you need all weather including snowflake rating?

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

re: snow rating. When it has M&S on the sidewall, that means it may work in anything less than 2" snow.

I always ran B.F.Goodrich T/A commercial  M&S tires on my dually,  it was 4WD. I  figured if the bean-counters at UPS thought they we the best bang for the buck to run on their route trucks, who am I to argue. I only got around 60K miles from them towing a 15,500# 5er though.

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

On 9/4/2019 at 8:01 AM, Twotoes said:

B F Goodrich All Terain in my opinion are the best truck tires out there. Make sure you get the KO2 model. I think they may even have the KO3 now. I always had them on my Ford F-350. I now have a Jeep Wrangler and get the BF Goodrich Mud Terain. A little harder and noiser ride but good for a Jeep going off road. If you want to save a little money they also make the Rugged Terain. 

That is my preference and I wish I had them on the truck now. But I don't live in snow country.

The Michelin LTX has been changed to another tire. I believe it may be "Premier". The "new" tire is the same as the LTX. But the LTX had a 70,000 mile tread warranty. The "new" tire, the tread warranty has been reduced to 50,000. No wonder why, as I was one on cashed in on the warranty thru Discount Tire. At the time I did this I had numerous tire shops that were up front with what was going on.

On 9/3/2019 at 8:15 PM, Vladimir said:

I need to buy new tires for the one-ton Dodge Ram.

In the past, I had Goodyear Wranglers.....I really liked them. The did delaminate after seven years and did some damage to the rig. I also think they are only made in China these days.

Les Schwab....Open Country All-Terrain Tires...bought these from Schwab and in Canada from a independent tire dealer. Ok, tires, but wore out quickly.

Michelin.....LTX M/S....These came standard on the Dodge. Good tires....really liked them. They went to 70,000 miles. So I bought the same tires from Costco 40,000 miles later they are toast.

So any advice on tires....given the two I liked?? Thanks.

On 3 sets of Michelin tires we ended up with 1/2 to 2/3 of the warrantied tread life. Each time Michelin authorized the dealer to give us 20% off but only if we bought Michelin tires. The 3rd set of Michelins were replaced with BF Goodrich KO2.

The 4th set of Michelin that came from the factory on our truck are down to 2-4/32" after 20,000 towing miles. These will replaced with TOYO AT2 for summer use.   The KO2 will continue to be used in the winter as they've proven to be an excellent tire when towing in the snow. I know a couple of people that run the KO2 all year but not for towing.

I don't notice any difference in tire noise because of the diesel engine in the truck.

https://broadmag.com/toyo-open-country-at2-vs-bfg-at-ko2/

2011 Cameo 34SB3

• 1 month later...

Thanks guys, I just ordered the BF Goodrich KO2 at Costco today. They were on sale. Still 943 dollars for a set of four.

I did learn lots about the Costco warranty....or should I say...the lack of it.

When I complained about the mileage on the Michelin tires, the first question was "did you rotate the tires every 6000 miles". Yes, but at Les Schwab.....that invalidated the mileage warranty.  Costco had no record most of the tire rotations. 

BTW....when I had a warrenty issue with Dodge....same thing.  No oil changes. I pointed out ALL my oil changes were done at a Dodge dealer.....BUT the dealers did NOT put them in the database!!  

So it might be worthwhile to keep a paper record of your tire rotations and have the Costco employee sign and date it.

Next issue.....set of four Costco tires. One failed on the road and I had the tire replaced. NOPE, not covered by the Costco warranty since I no longer had the tire!!!  Guess I will keep the tire next time until I can get to a Costco store.

I did talk to a guy that ran a tire shop and his quick comment was "yep, we all run the same warranty practices".

So heads up on that warranty!!!

Thanks to everybody for the info on BF Goodrich.....

Vladimr Steblina

Retired Forester...exploring the public lands.

usbackroads.blogspot.com

Costco has some wierd rules on tires. Like, they will only put the new tires on the vehicle position they came off of. No, you can't buy new for the steer axle if the old ones came off the drive. "OK, I'll be back tomorrow for my free rotation". Sorry, have to go 5000 miles first. 

Bought my last set from Tire Rack, had no problem finding a shop to do mount, & cheaper. 

You'd have to see the movie to understand..........

On 10/21/2019 at 12:43 PM, Vladimir said:

Thanks guys, I just ordered the BF Goodrich KO2 at Costco today. They were on sale. Still 943 dollars for a set of four.

I did learn lots about the Costco warranty....or should I say...the lack of it.

When I complained about the mileage on the Michelin tires, the first question was "did you rotate the tires every 6000 miles". Yes, but at Les Schwab.....that invalidated the mileage warranty.  Costco had no record most of the tire rotations. 

BTW....when I had a warrenty issue with Dodge....same thing.  No oil changes. I pointed out ALL my oil changes were done at a Dodge dealer.....BUT the dealers did NOT put them in the database!!  

So it might be worthwhile to keep a paper record of your tire rotations and have the Costco employee sign and date it.

Next issue.....set of four Costco tires. One failed on the road and I had the tire replaced. NOPE, not covered by the Costco warranty since I no longer had the tire!!!  Guess I will keep the tire next time until I can get to a Costco store.

I did talk to a guy that ran a tire shop and his quick comment was "yep, we all run the same warranty practices".

So heads up on that warranty!!!

Thanks to everybody for the info on BF Goodrich.....

Good to know, thanks

2011 Cameo 34SB3

7 hours ago, Jennifer Ministries said:

We once got in a fresh $270 top-of-the-line GDYR truck tire, and there were NO cords in it. Nice, huh? Dunlop makes high-quality stuff, Coopers are awesome. They're tough, have great grip, almost no defect, and are a lot cheaper than approximately all other name brand tires. You will not be dissatisfied.

Did Goodyear refund your money?

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

17 hours ago, Jennifer Ministries said:

We once got in a fresh $270 top-of-the-line GDYR truck tire, and there were NO cords in it. Nice, huh?

That sounds like an interesting story. I don't really understand how they could have made a tire without cords? It has been quite a few years ago but I did tour a Goodyear factory where they were making belted tires and the belts were an integral part of the process before molding took place. I have used a lot of their tires over the years and most have served as expected and the only time I can remember getting a bad one, they promptly replaced it with another. The bad one was on a class A and it was out of round and could not be balanced. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI