Shorter DRV or Longer New Horizon

Brad NSW

We're trying to decide between:

1.  a. 2014 DRV ($70K).  b. 2019 DRV (98K), both same floorplan

We could set either up for boondocking w/LITHIUM & Solar:  for $15K.

2.  A 2015 New Horizon 41ft, ($130K) fully set up for boondocking w/solar, inverter, AGM batts.

Our style of camping: 

60% in state and national parks and boondocking. 40% Full facility campgrounds.  Pulling with a Freightliner HDT.

We're leaning toward the New Horizon, as we consider its build quality slightly higher than the DRV, plus the owners have been full timing and have the bugs worked out and solar is GTG.  However we're second guessing ourselves on length and our camping style.

Questions:

1.  Is the length 41ft vs 36ft going to make a big difference?  We've made it into almost any state/national park (west is our only experience) with our 37ft Montana.  How big a deal is  (41 vs 36) plus our unsingled Freightliner?

2.  Is the $45k between the 2014 DRV (after solar install) and the 2015 NH worth the extra build quality.  I understand the Pre Thor DRVs build quality is pretty darn good.  We actually like the color scheme in the DRV a little better and it's got a King bed which we prefer.  I think we've ruled out the 2019, since after solar install it's about a wash with the NH.

Any feedback appreciated and we don't want to start a DRV/NH war, just pro/cons on the length issues and is the $45K difference btwn a 2015NH and 2014DRV worth it?  We know they are both a huge step up from our Montana.

Thanks in advance and sorry for long post.

2094790416_NewHorizonsmall.jpg.b597b886c0fa2457938fb2cfe3e6cd0b.jpg

2010 Freightliner, DD15 Eaton Ultrashift, 2015 New Horizons 5th Wheel.

Occupants - Dena/Brad/Hershey    BLOG LINK

500964784_statemapDec2020.jpg.66ea16945a2c1c745783b95e33e702c9.jpg

The few feet either way is not a big deal, where the fifth wheel is on the truck will have a greater impact on maneuverability.

I only know these companies by their representation here, NH seems to be like the Tetons of the 1990's early 2000's the benchmark?      I will say a few feet can add a lot to each area of a trailer, a foot more in the bath and bed room go a long way.

Steve

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

I am a DRV owner and a fan in general of their product, but if I had the opportunity and means I would go New Horizons.  The caveat to that is that New Horizons would allow me to have the exact trailer I want instead of one that is pretty close to what I want.  I am talking about designing my own New Horizons, obviously.

If I were in your shoes choosing between two used trailers, the New Horizons would start in the lead with me but it would come down to which one was closest to what I really wanted overall.  Which one had the amenities and floor plan that best fit my needs.  I would not be concerned about the size of the New Horizons over the DRV.  Once you hit the 36’ mark, a few more feet isn’t going to make much difference in fitting into a site or not.  If the 36 footer will fit, then more than likely the 41 footer will also fit.

If both trailers were close to fitting my needs as far as floor plan and amenities, then it would come down to capacities for me.  Without seeing either trailer, I’d be willing to bet the New Horizons is a triple axle rig and I know the DRV is a dual axle rig.  The New Horizons will have much more carrying capacity than the DRV.  You will also be eating into the DRV’s carrying capacity when you add solar and batteries and all the accompanying materials.

These are the thoughts that are running through my head and what I would be considering if I were in your shoes.  The money difference may trump all that (I know it would I’m my DW’s mind), but the other stuff would be more important in my mind.  Look at the total package of each trailer and figure out which one best fits your needs and go with that one. It is a difficult question for someone else to answer for you because our needs may be different than yours, but the stuff above are the big things I would be seriously weighing if it were me.  There are some other things as well, but those are the big ones.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

X2 Chad....NH would be our dream Coach.

We are on our second Drv a 2014 and a 2018, each were 40ft or over and have never had a problem finding a spot to fit into.  We have 1200 watts of solar and are close to our carrying capacity with full fresh water. 

A word of caution If considering the DRV 2014, if the slide outs use the Schwintec system I would pass on it.

Bob&Kay
2012 VNL730 I Shift D13 2.47 ratio
2018 Mobile Suites 40 kssb4

New Horizons hands down.  NH is built as a full-time RV where DRV is built as a weekender but with the full=timer in mind.  NH will be better insulated and quieter inside.  The fiberglass roof is a huge plus if your in any area that gets hail.  Our rubber DRV roof was 8900 to replace due to damage.  Another plus is that NH doesn;t have the slide floor rot issue DRV does.  Upgrading the battery system on the NH is easier than installing new on the DRV.

When our old Carrilite was totaled by insurance, I searched and found a used NH that we could have stepped into but insurance insisted on a new-untitled unit of equal or greater value.  So DRV it was.... biggest mistake made.... $127k trailer, $17k in 2 slide floors and 1 slide roof, $8900 in the main roof.  3 Kant leak water panels, 1 water pump, a convection microwave that's junk, ceiling fan that doesn't move any air, interior lights that go bad and have the disco effect in 200 hours of use, floor tiles buckling up, and the list goes on.  Go with the NH.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

42 minutes ago, Alie&Jim's Carrilite said:

New Horizons hands down.  NH is built as a full-time RV where DRV is built as a weekender but with the full=timer in mind.  NH will be better insulated and quieter inside.  The fiberglass roof is a huge plus if your in any area that gets hail.  Our rubber DRV roof was 8900 to replace due to damage.  Another plus is that NH doesn;t have the slide floor rot issue DRV does.  Upgrading the battery system on the NH is easier than installing new on the DRV.

When our old Carrilite was totaled by insurance, I searched and found a used NH that we could have stepped into but insurance insisted on a new-untitled unit of equal or greater value.  So DRV it was.... biggest mistake made.... $127k trailer, $17k in 2 slide floors and 1 slide roof, $8900 in the main roof.  3 Kant leak water panels, 1 water pump, a convection microwave that's junk, ceiling fan that doesn't move any air, interior lights that go bad and have the disco effect in 200 hours of use, floor tiles buckling up, and the list goes on.  Go with the NH.

Jim,

Glad you posted you experiences with your DRV, sad enough you can’t share it on the DRV owners group, as only positive comments are allowed on that site. 

Roger

GCTaaehl.jpg

2 hours ago, ARGO said:

I think Mark Bruss' NH is still for sale.............................?

Mark has a Travel Supreme I believe.😊

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Mark does have a Travel Supreme, and it is still available.

I've owned three New Horizons, and am currently in a DRV Houston (2016). From a construction and systems perspective there is no comparison - the NH is far, far superior. Assuming it has been maintained. And the 2015 NH will have the new wall system that is far superior to the past in looks and in function. The DRV does have a well thought out interior, for the most part. But it does lack a great deal of storage in the bath and bed area - as compared to the same size NH that we sold (both being 44'). The tanks sizes are no comparison, and since you boondock quite a bit, that is a major consideration. Also, make sure that any of the DRVs do not have macerating toilets in them - because for boondocking, you will be challenged on water. Electric flush is fine - but macerating uses far more water.

The DRV will have quieter air conditioning and a quieter roof. The laminated construction of the NH roof acts somewhat as a "drum", so you do hear rain more in it. But it is pretty indestructible as these things go. 

In the end, it boils down to what you prefer for the money spent. You have to be happy with the unit. But there is no comparison in construction. 

Let me point out the obvious.....a New Horizons is still an RV. No matter how well built it is, you are still going to have issues with it, just like any other RV. Systems fail. Things break. Expect it with any unit.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

42 minutes ago, SuiteSuccess said:

Mark has a Travel Supreme I believe.😊

Travel Supreme built a very solid fifth wheel and Mark has maintained their TS exceptionally well, including repainting it a few years ago.  

IMG_3217a.jpg.c718bc170600aa5ce52e515511d83cb7.jpg

Jim & Wilma

2006 Travel Supreme 36RLQSO

2009 Volvo VNL730, D13, I-shift, ET, Herrin Hauler bed, "Ruby"

2017 Smart

Class of 2017

29 minutes ago, Jim & Wilma said:

Travel Supreme built a very solid fifth wheel and Mark has maintained their TS exceptionally well, including repainting it a few years ago.  

Not only is it painted with full body paint with clear....but the interior has been heavily renovated and modernized. And Dale is a designer, so it is nice job of the renovation....not weird stuff like you sometimes see. This trailer is worth looking at.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

How has that trailer not sold? Easily the nicest trailer we've been in, in a while. Almost makes me wish we were in the market.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Thanks for everyone's comments!  Confirmed what we've learned going to HDT rally and doing research.  Mark and Dale's 5er is BEAUTIFUL.  Wish we were closer to TX to take a look at it.

Any more thoughts or considerations please keep posting.  We'll be monitoring this thread.

18 hours ago, Brad NSW said:

60% in state and national park

How easily will a 41ft NH and an HDT fit in the state and national parks where you are?? I know a lot of state parks down here just aren't big enough for a 41ft'er pulled by an HDT.

Edited by Big5er

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Yeah, out west, the parks are usually pretty easy to hang the tail of the 5er over the back of the site...have even rolled some rocks/logs and replaced them when we leave.   If not there is BLM, Walmart or a commercial campground somewhere...

From what I've seen (mostly CA/AZ/UT/ID/OR/WA/CO/NM) maybe 20-30% of the parks we might not fit.  We've got a list of sights from all the campgrounds we've been to, that big rigs can fit into.  From what I've heard that % will be higher the further east you go.  Guess then you suck it up and hit a commercial campground.

Like Steve and Chad said 4-5 feet won't make much difference.  We've been doing this with a 37ft Montana for 11 years and have squeezed into sites listed as 30ft many a time.