Wireless back-up cameras from Amazon?

Kirk W

I know that this has come up before but with the steady change in camera technology I was wondering if anyone has used any of the currently listed, wireless, back-up cameras from Amazon, or some other supplier? I keep considering one for our little tin box travel trailer.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

On a very short rig, wireless may work if there is not a lot of metal between the camera and receiver for the monitor. But in "general" we don't install or recommend wireless since they still are not reliable for any but the shortest rigs. I've tested a lot of them over the years, but none in the last year.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Part of what triggers the question is that our youngest son just traded his hybrid off for a new travel trailer and in shopping, he found that many of them have a wireless rear camera as an option. 

Like Barb, our bi-level wired backup camera system is very useful when parking, as well as for checking on the toad in transit. With our low view camera, I can check on the entire tow bar system from the rear bumper back.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

I replaced the dead original (1993) camera with a wireless one six years ago. The only time it didn't work properly was when the salesman's switch got turned off. The backup camera is on whenever the Detroit is on. No, it isn't wired that way - I start the Detroit, start the generator, turn on the camera. I turn it off when I turn the Detroit off.

David Lininger, kb0zke
1993 Foretravel U300 40' (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

12 hours ago, kb0zke said:

replaced the dead original (1993) camera with a wireless one six years ago.

This is the sort of information that I was looking for, which is the reason that the subject of the thread is wireless cameras. I would be interested to know what make equipment you have and how far from the receiver it is located? 

Nobody needs to explain backup cameras to me as I have had them before. What I was looking for was current information on the latest generation of wireless camera/receivers. Technology is changing rapidly today and while they have not had the best reliability ratings in the past, I was hoping to find some owners of recent products that have served well. 

I've been using this Rear View Systems Wireless for 2 years on a 21' Escape towed by a F150 with a 6.5' bed. Under normal conditions, no drop outs.  2-3 times in heavy city traffic it dropped a couple of frames, probably due to other transmitters in the area.  

150150.jpg.30f49e1e712c4af11a1e8f523a24f5d1.jpg

Travel photos RV Blogs Journals & Travelogues at:
http://www.lakeshoreimages.com
My Travel Blog - Jon's Journeys

I want a rear-view camera more for driving than for backing.  I mean, it would make me feel good that something didn't run into my way, or whatever, but I always get out and survey the area before backing.  On the highway I'd like to have that clear view behind the trailer without putting on the tow mirrors.  This unit seems to have a great blend of price, good reviews, and screen size...

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DW7981G/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A1DO77E5TBEWHM&psc=1

For people who run a wired system to a trailer, are you simply just using 40-60' of RCA cable?  And how do you disconnect it?  RCA jacks wouldn't be very weather-friendly.

EDITED TO ADD:  My trailer is 20' and made of fiberglass with aluminum framing.  So it should be relatively transparent to radio waves.

Edited by Carlos

Kirk, our system is a Voyager purchased from Camping World. The camera is about 40' from the monitor. Our Foretravel is a steel frame for the walls and ceiling, covered with foam insulation and fiberglass on the outside, walnut wood on the inside. I think we paid around $600 for it six years ago. I suspect that a similar system from Amazon would be cheaper.

David Lininger, kb0zke
1993 Foretravel U300 40' (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

Kirk,

I have a "wireless" back-up camera setup (RVS-355W) that works very well while traveling down the highway that I purchased from rearviewsafety.com, that is a single camera with 3-camera capability, for $357.52 last September. I have a 35' fifth wheel towed by an F-350 long bed truck. I made the setup totally temporary that can be connected or disconnected in 15 minutes. I mount the camera in my "rear window" inside my trailer and ran a 12v extension cord to an in-house 12v receptacle. Last October I started a trip from Oregon to Kansas to Las Vegas and back to Oregon. I never once experienced any interference or monitor screen fluctuation. The system setup does not work well at night since headlights from following vehicles washes out my monitor which I presume is due to the low level angle and location of my rear camera. Anyway, I rarely travel at night!    

Thank you, everyone, for chiming in! I have believed for some time that with technology improving the wireless cameras should be also. I have pretty much the same setup as Jon with our 19' Sportsman towed with a Dodge 2500, crew-cab. Watching Amazon, prices for the systems seem to be falling and selection is increased.  

The note about headlights causing the video to wash out remind me of another question; where to mount it.  Up high, looking mostly downward?  Or about mirror height looking straight back?  I can see advantages and disadvantages to each.  Maybe it's a matter of hooking it up and moving the camera around while its battery powered to see.

Kirk I have had a wireless Voyager rear camera in the MH since 2013. The only time it did not work was when the ground got corroded at the camera. I back our MH into our garage by myself with confidence, using the camera and rear view mirrors..

I have a cheap LeekLoo wireless system off Amazon on my pickup,  I got exactly what I paid for=cheap. These cheap wireless systems operate on 2.4 Ghz, which is the same frequency as cordless phones and many other devices. This means it does not work  many times and places due to interference.

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

32 minutes ago, Ray,IN said:

These cheap wireless systems operate on 2.4 Ghz, which is the same frequency as cordless phones and many other devices. This means it does not work  many times and places due to interference.

So do the Voyager systems.  The only systems I know of NOT using that are sold for other purposes.  I'm considering getting one of the 5GHz systems used on RC aircraft.

Kirk, in your situation a wireless may work fine. It is a very short distance, and if ther is not a lot of metal then it should be "sufficient". We install these routinely and use the RVS products, and before forming our company I have installed probably 30 systems on RVs of various kinds. Both wired and wireless. In general, the wireless is not something I'd use, but for very short distances it is OK. I don't personally prefer the Voyager systems, although we work with them a LOT, since they are placed on many RVs. There are many better systems available for the same or less money.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

I just installed a Garmin BC-20 that works well with my Garmin GPS.  Only been on one trip, but even with it raining it still never missed a beat.  I have a  21 ft Cougar TT.  Mounted it up above the rear marker lights , put the transmitter up above it on the roof, tapped into the marker lights for power.  Always powered on when lights are on.  I think it was about $140.00 for the camera.

Yes I do, been a motorcyclist and truck driver most of my life and I consider it a safety feature.  All of my lights have been changed out to LED's. Haven't ever had issues with early failure.  Some people don't like to run their lights all the time, each to their own, I just feel better knowing I'm doing all I can to avoid the idiots trying to run me off the road. (No shortage of idiots out there)  😁

9 hours ago, Carlos said:

So you run with the lights on during the day?

Like Rick, I too turn on the lights of the trailer any time we are on the highway so his system would work for me. Serving on my employer's safety committee with several thousand vehicles on the road convinced me of the value.

I'm ordering this.  If it sucks, eBay's return policy is really good.  If it's good, I'll do a full review here.  I can't decide whether I will wire it to the tail lights or hard-wire it elsewhere.  I run DRLs and don't know if I care about turning on the tail lights.  I have no clearance lights.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BULIT-IN-WIRELESS-REAR-VIEW-BACKUP-CAMERA-SYSTEM-7-LCD-FOR-RV-CAMPER-TRAILER/252689313043?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Edited by Carlos

2 hours ago, Carlos said:

I'm ordering this.  If it sucks, eBay's return policy is really good.  If it's good, I'll do a full review here.  I can't decide whether I will wire it to the tail lights or hard-wire it elsewhere.  I run DRLs and don't know if I care about turning on the tail lights.  I have no clearance lights.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BULIT-IN-WIRELESS-REAR-VIEW-BACKUP-CAMERA-SYSTEM-7-LCD-FOR-RV-CAMPER-TRAILER/252689313043?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

let us know the result

2000 National RV Sea Breeze 5th wheel 30ft.

So.California

1950 F1 street rod

1949 F1 stock V8 flathead

1948 F6 350 chevy/rest stock, no dump bed shortened frame.

1953 chevy 3100 AD for 85 S10 frame

1968 Baha Bug with 2.2 ecotec motor 170 hp, king coil-overs,etc

1970 Baha Bug wihg 2332cc, King coil overs and everything else there is.

1998.5 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins, turbo, trans, injectors, lockers, bigger turbo,edge EZ upgrades for towing 35" BFG's, air dog lift pump etc.