lightning strike damage

RV fan

Today a lightning strike nearby blew out my two a/c's, the TV and the direct TV receiver.  The TV is not a problem, Direct TV will be out tomorrow to repair or replace the receiver. My main concern is the A/C's. They are RVP/Coleman 2009 era. I'm thinking the control boards got popped. Is there any way to bypass the control board and just hot wire the a/c to verify that the compressor etc work. The control boards seem to be standard units about $60 each. Any help would be appreciated. And next time we see red on the radar, the rig will be disconnected from the power pole.

Thanks

Coleman/Airexel

Part number 8330852

2 hours ago, bobsallyh said:

Please comeback and let us know how you made out. Sounds like you may have basement air.

He said "A/C's, plural." They are RVP/Coleman 2009 era."

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

7 hours ago, SWharton said:

I think your insurance should cover everything. Ours did 6-8 years ago.

I would think so also.  Maybe they only have liability insurance and it not covered?

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

RV Fan, sorry for your trouble. My "first" guess is like yours a low energy low voltage sensitive control circuit is more susceptible to damage from a lightning surge and spike then then the compressor, but absent the wiring diagram I just cant say setting here how to jump power direct to your compressor. It makes a difference if say it hums or tries to start (more like a compressor or capacitor) problem versus it does nothing at all (maybe a control board problem) and if the fan alone will at least run. I guess you at least have main AC voltage getting up to the unit right??  It sounds like something Id try on my own unit but am reluctant to tell you how/where to jump power to yours.... There would be larger main wiring leads (like 12 or 10 Gauge) leading  up to the compressor and that's where its high current is supplied WELL DUH I'm sure you're already well aware of that. Also unfortunately an RV  dealer isn't gonna be much help nor will he offer to test the boards, just gladly sell you a new one under a no return on electrical parts policy !!!!!!!!!!!!! 

As far as insurance coverage or non coverage are concerned, I can tell you its what the insurance contract says and NOT what anyone here even me as an attorney may think, that's one of the first things I learned way back in my law school days, Insurance Law is governed strictly by the laws of contract and their lawyers are among the best grrrrrrrrr lol.

Too late for a spike or surge suppressor not that the cows are out of the barn lol yet note a cheaper one with a low joules of energy rating may not have stopped your problem 

John T   BSEE, JD  Engineer & Attorney

As others have suggested, I would first contact my insurance agent to see what they have to say about the problems. Bryant RV is a website run by one who makes his living repairing RVs and RV systems and has done so for years. As a retired tech myself, I have found their help to be the best around about 90% of the time and to know much more than most of the contributors here. You can go through some A/C troubleshooting process information on their website. He also provides digital copies of service manuals for several different Coleman A/C units if you page down so you may be able to download one for the units that you have. You should be able to find the information that you want on a schematic if your units are one of the available manuals. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

30 minutes ago, hemsteadc said:

And yes, disconnect whenever lightning is a threat.

Good idea, spikes and surges have a harder time getting to your components that way. HOWEVER don't ya hate to go out in the rain and lightning to flip the breaker and disconnect lol Best do it BEFORE if your smart phone weather app or your own senses provides an early warning …………….

Be safe yall and Happy Easter

John T

The Coleman Mach series is very well documented. I did not hot wire the compressor or fan because upon further investigation I was able to figure it out. A couple of diodes on the control box boards were dead. I don't think we got an actual strike but rather just some kind of "back to the future" event" where some electrical energy got to the sensitive semiconductors on the roof. Replaced those diodes with some I had in my "electronics" stash and all is well. Funny how both A/Cs had almost the same bad diodes. Total time invested (other than internet research) 2 hours. Less time than it takes to talk to an insurance clown. Direct TV came right out and replaced my receiver and I had my old 32" TV so for now we are back to normal. They were great.  I suspect voltage spikes came in to the tv stuff thru the outside dish. My new 42" TV probably has the same issue with some sensitive semiconductors on the input line, I'll get to that later. According to some of the neighbors who saw the bolts of lightning said that it seemed like 1 bolt came from above and 3 others came from the ground up with my rig right in the middle. Some saw sparks flying but not from my rig.

oldjohnt Thanks for the tech input, you pretty much "guessed" exactly what happened. The board in the control box takes all the input from the low voltage thermostat and controls all the compressor and fan functions. 

Thanks to all for your suggestions and concerns, 

Bye Till the next time

23 hours ago, SWharton said:

I think your insurance should cover everything. Ours did 6-8 years ago.

HELLO- be carefull- Had a blow out and tore off siding-fender flare-etc. My rv is on with my jeep and dually. The dirty #%!^*&^ went and raised my jeep and dually ins. over $400.00 per yr. I did the work myself and know what the parts cost. They will have there money back in a couple yrs. Win Win for them. They don't tell you this upfront.

1 hour ago, beemergary said:

HELLO- be carefull- Had a blow out and tore off siding-fender flare-etc. My rv is on with my jeep and dually. The dirty #%!^*&^ went and raised my jeep and dually ins. over $400.00 per yr. I did the work myself and know what the parts cost. They will have there money back in a couple yrs. Win Win for them. They don't tell you this upfront.

X2

I carry high deductible and only call on insurance for major damage.  They are often quick to raise the rates when they have to pay.  Even if it is a little claim.

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

9 hours ago, hemsteadc said:

And yes, disconnect whenever lightning is a threat.

Right! Simply switching off the CG pedestal breaker will NOT suffice.  Lighting can "jump" through a disconnected breaker.

I used to work for a world-wide Electrical Mfgr. Their engineers developed a lighting arrester for use in household main panels. It worked in testing; in real-time use, lighting could "jump" through the arrester(which is totally destroyed) and continue into house wiring. That product line was short-lived.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

6 hours ago, Ray,IN said:

Lighting can "jump" through a disconnected breaker

Hi again Neighbor, Indeed if a certain electrical component has a "voltage withstand rating" of say X Volts and a voltage spike of a higher potential is present, it's possible (subject to voltage, available energy, and resistance) for current to arc jump across it same as high voltage across a spark plug gap allows current to jump the gap.

Happy Easter

John T 

Archived