Towing a truck camper behind a class A

wlfarrell

So, you are going to tow a truck behind your camper, a truck towing a pop up camper?  Basically a triple (or double?) tow?

2002 Fifth Avenue RV (RIP) 2015 Ram 3500 Mega-cab DRW(38k miles), 6.7L Cummins Diesel, A668RFE, 3.73, 14,000 GVWR, 5,630 Payload, 27,300 GCWR, 18,460 Max Trailer Weight Rating(For Sale) , living in the frigid north, ND.

3 minutes ago, NDBirdman said:

So, you are going to tow a truck behind your camper, a truck towing a pop up camper?  Basically a triple (or double?) tow?

He's talking about something like this:

https://fourwh.com/

Regards

John

DON'T FEED THE VULTURES!

My Body is a Temple!  Ancient, Crumbling, Probably Cursed . . .

I Don't Like to Make Advanced Plans.  They Cause the Word "PREMEDITATED" to Get Thrown Around in Court!

MyMapS.jpg

Is the MH able to tow that much weight?  Truck with slide in camper is not going to be light.  What size/weight is the truck?  3/4, won ton?  Will be a high load, wind will catch it and whip you around alot?  Only my un-experienced questions, I have never done it or seen it done.

2002 Fifth Avenue RV (RIP) 2015 Ram 3500 Mega-cab DRW(38k miles), 6.7L Cummins Diesel, A668RFE, 3.73, 14,000 GVWR, 5,630 Payload, 27,300 GCWR, 18,460 Max Trailer Weight Rating(For Sale) , living in the frigid north, ND.

I have seen many MHs towing a pickup. Some with a heavy MC in the box!  The popup should not weigh much more than the mc. The only concern would be the choice of pickup to be sure it can be flat towed.  I am presuming that you want 4WD for offroading and i don't know if the newer 4WDs can be flat towed but the dealer should know. Go for it!

2004 Freightliner m2 106  2015 DRV lx450 Fullhouse  2019 Indian Springfield 2014 Yamaha 950 V-Star

With Ford trucks, you can find info on flat towing them in the appropriate Ford RV AND TRAILER TOWING GUIDES:

https://www.fleet.ford.com/towing-guides/

Regards

John

DON'T FEED THE VULTURES!

My Body is a Temple!  Ancient, Crumbling, Probably Cursed . . .

I Don't Like to Make Advanced Plans.  They Cause the Word "PREMEDITATED" to Get Thrown Around in Court!

MyMapS.jpg

Not sure how true it is, but read somewhere that for a DP every 1000 lbs of toad weight will use 10 hp.So if you have a 300 hp DP and tow a 10000 lb truck, you are now driving a 200 hp motorhome. Most people don't care, but I hate those big HDT's passing me on the hills, so I like to keep my toads as light as possible. Just jealous because their hp/lb ratio is better than mine.

Foretravel 40ft tag 500hp Cummins ISM  1455 watts on the roof, 600 a/h's lithium in the basement.

1 hour ago, Lance A Lott said:

I remember being told that the windshield on a school bus takes 40 hp to push it through the air at 60 mph. There will be a big difference it how much power it takes to pull each 1000 pounds on a flat or up a  hill. There must be info on Google.

Of course there is a difference. Adding the extra weight will slow down the coach equally in every situation. Obviously your coach will not go as fast up a 6% grade as on the flats, but if you used to use 300 hp to go 45 mph up that hill, now you only have 200 hp, so you might only be able to go 41 mph.

https://www.rvtechlibrary.com/engine/Cat_RV_Performance.pdf 

Kind of like two trucks, same engines, same transmissions, same bodies, but one weighs 20000 lbs, and the other one weighs 40000 lbs. Which one will accelerate faster, and climb the hills at a higher speed, and maybe, depending on gearing, reach a higher top speed?

Foretravel 40ft tag 500hp Cummins ISM  1455 watts on the roof, 600 a/h's lithium in the basement.

8 hours ago, Lance A Lott said:

I remember being told that the windshield on a school bus takes 40 hp to push it through the air at 60 mph. There will be a big difference it how much power it takes to pull each 1000 pounds on a flat or up a  hill. There must be info on Google.

That sort of math is way beyond my pay grade, but I can tell you that back when diesel chassis were first starting to become common in the class A market, many were powered by 275 Cummins engines and while they weren't 40' long there were a lot of 36' and 38' motorhomes with 1 or 2 slides that were also towing vehicles over the mountains and all over the country. As long as wlfarrell keeps everything under the designed weight limits he should do fine, if a little bit slower and he likely will burn more fuel. If he can average 65 mph he can travel 300 miles in 4.61 hours and at 55 it will require 5.45 hours. RV travel really isn't designed for racing or high speed travels. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

If your Tiffin is rated to pull 10,000 you shouldn't have an issue.  By the way, I thought a "tow vehicle" was what you used to pull something.  Like, I'm getting a F350 as a TV for my new fiver.

Joe & Cindy

Newmar 4369 Ventana

Pulling 24' enclosed (Mini Cooper, Harley, 2 Kayaks)

We are going to do the same thing except all I want on the back of the tow vehicle is a camper "shell" to keep some of the things we take along out of the weather. The camper shell will also provide us a place to get out of the rain/cold if we get caught back in the boonies while we are exploring. We have talked to several folks that are pulling similar set-ups and they report no problem at all with the diesel pulling it. 

4 minutes ago, rm.w/aview said:

What is your towed of choice?

I have a 2005 Chevy Silverado 4x4...We thought we wanted a Jeep Liberty 4x4 but I absolutely hated it. Thankfully I was able to get what I paid for the Jeep so I didn't lose anything. I have had the Chevy since it was almost new and it now has over 300,000 miles on it. By far the most dependable vehicle I have ever owned. It even survived being driven by my son during his high school years!!! Considering using it for my coffin...hopefully no time soon!!!!!

My friends just bought a 40 foot Allegro Bus and tow a Chevy P/U with a shell on it no problem. I have seen many P/U with a Harley in the back being towed so I don’t think a pop up would be a problem. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

19 hours ago, rm.w/aview said:

I recollect reading about someone towing a Class B behind their Class A as well. 

I met those people. This is NOT an urban legend. They mostly lived in the Class A then used the Class B for short trips away from the Class A. The best of both worlds, right?

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

I used to restore/customize Westys - VW pop-up campers from the 70s. Air cooled horizontal 4cylinders. You can flat tow them in neutral. They'd be a lot lighter while giving great ground clearance and traction. No bathroom so outdoor shower and porta-pottie needed. Very nice for two. The later water-cooled Eurovans had good A/C too.

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100501091538AA5lTYb&guccounter=1

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=71+vw+westfalia+interior+upholstery&qpvt=71+VW+westphalia+interior+upholstery&FORM=IGRE

Parts are never an issue for all new upholstery/Carpets/ etc.

https://www.jbugs.com/category/1971-vw-bus-interior-parts.html

I had one that had the propane stove and a snap on room that made it quite nice for the four of us when my now 43 and 45 y/o boys were growing up.

Just throwing that out there as what I'd thought would be ideal as a toad when we did Alaska with our 36 foot fiver and 1 ton diesel dually. I never went motorhome for some safety concerns of my own.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Slide-in truck campers are deceptively heavy.
Best selection process it to verify the prospective camper's weight, then pick a truck capable of hauling it.
You'll be carrying gear and belongings in the TC, so be sure to calculate another 500 pounds at least.

If the combined weight is within the motorhome towing capacity, your golden.
I would start by looking at Northstar truck campers (a well known quality product) and go from there.

Lance-white-sands-500.jpg

~Rich

Concur this should not be a problem. Suspect the Coach has the ISL in it, which has the power needed. The Ford F150 4X4 is four down towable with no modifications required. If you get one of the newer ones with high aluminum content, they weight several hundred pounds less then the other 1/2 trucks on the market. It was around 2015 or maybe 2016, that Ford made the switch. The 2.7 EcoBoost has plenty of power too. Your call on 5 1/2 or 6 1/2 or 8' beds. I've seen a few F150's with 6 1/2' beds, with pop-up campers, owner's said they felt it was a good compromise between the 8' bed, as they wanted to retain the full size crew cab for passenger and inside rear storage. 

Just be sure you get a 10K rated tow bar, as well as adding a good Brake Assist. Airforce One are well thought of. 

Our next planned Toad, 2019 or 2020. Will be the F150 Crew Cab 6 1/2' 4X4, with camper shell and slide out bed, to carry additional toys/items while traveling. Our 40' with tag is heavier the a 40' Tiffen with non tag, and our older generation ISL will pull this planned weight well. Yep after loading the toys/items, I expect about 1750 - 2500 lbs heavier toad then our current CRV. (We have a Yakima SkyBox on it, and more in the back of the CRV too - so it's heavier then many CRV's in toad duty:)!). 

Please come back and let us know what you end up doing. And if you're opposed to Ford, other 1/2 or 3/4 tons should also work for you - just more weight, and a bit slower going up hills. (And please do get the supplemental brake assist in whatever you end up going with. Going slower up a hill is not a safety item (Blinkers on if too slow:)!), but going down a steep hill too fast can become a sudden impact situation:)! Supplemental brake assist is really an important safety item with any toad, but more weight - even more so.

Best,

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

04 CC Allure "RooII" - Our "E" ride for life!

Thank you for all the input.  We have been researching and are comfortable on the payload issues, hitch issues, etc. and aware of changes in mileage and speed.  Just looking to hear if anyone has done it.  We're only considering the pop-up style truck camper for profile and weight.  We plan to use it for outings when our rig is set up for the summer.  We do volunteer work summer seasons and once we get set up for our summer home in the rig we usually tent camp or stay in cabins.  Looking for an alternative.  Again, that everyone.

Archived