Truck painting

SuiteSuccess

Few years ago folks were saying ~$7k for quality, same color truck repaint.  Any recent updates for same color and change in colors?  Also any recommendations on good painters within 200 miles of Knoxville, TN?  We have a truck painter in town but his quality is mediocre.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

1 hour ago, sclord2002 said:

Carl. I can check with a guy here in Greenville who told me 5k a couple of years ago. what I saw of his work looked really good.  let me know if you want me to contact him.         Charlie

Will do Charlie.  Just wishful thinking at this point but I’ve got one fender and bottom front that’s looking dull.  I’ve polished both several times but they dull quickly.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Carl,

Try Northgate parts in Hixon, TN (Chattanooga). They have a paint booth that can handle up to 60 ft RV's or trucks. You can also check around with a lot of the truck dealers as they all have body shops that can handle the painting of large trucks.

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

22 minutes ago, GeorgiaHybrid said:

Carl,

Try Northgate parts in Hixon, TN (Chattanooga). They have a paint booth that can handle up to 60 ft RV's or trucks. You can also check around with a lot of the truck dealers as they all have body shops that can handle the painting of large trucks.

Thanks David

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

This is what I do for a living... (on the product side) 
First off.. to do it right is a LOT of work. Then add in quality materials that will last.... where does it end. Just materials alone to do a repaint (no color change) will run the shop 1500$ to 2300$ Now if you want it bc/cc add another 800$ to 1000$, especially if its a high metallic red or upper end color. Any shop doing it in the 5000$ range is cutting corners everywhere. The prep is the most important part next to quality materials. 
Now start with low end product... it may last you 2-3 years at best. Especially if it sits in the sun all day. If you were closer, I could at least hook you up on the high end side of materials....

41 minutes ago, atv_idiot said:

This is what I do for a living... (on the product side) 
First off.. to do it right is a LOT of work. Then add in quality materials that will last.... where does it end. Just materials alone to do a repaint (no color change) will run the shop 1500$ to 2300$ Now if you want it bc/cc add another 800$ to 1000$, especially if its a high metallic red or upper end color. Any shop doing it in the 5000$ range is cutting corners everywhere. The prep is the most important part next to quality materials. 
Now start with low end product... it may last you 2-3 years at best. Especially if it sits in the sun all day. If you were closer, I could at least hook you up on the high end side of materials....

So what should a quality job cost?  Single color base/clear. $7-8k?

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

14 minutes ago, Darryl&Rita said:

A suggestion:

no7dj6tvnfh11.jpg

The “Sith”mobile. 

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

19 minutes ago, SuiteSuccess said:

So what should a quality job cost?  Single color base/clear. $7-8k?

What is the current color of the truck? Overall condition of the paint on it now? Has it ever been repainted? Are you staying the same color? Any damage that needs repair? Panels that need replacement?

10 hours ago, atv_idiot said:

What is the current color of the truck? Overall condition of the paint on it now? Has it ever been repainted? Are you staying the same color? Any damage that needs repair? Panels that need replacement?

Red, paint decent now.  Think maybe right fender may have been repainted but not sure.  Cost would dictate change in color.  Wife and I like dark crimson color but probably just stay red.  No panel or damage replacement although would like to go to newer aero mirrors on hood rather than tripod mirrors so some minor work filling in those holes.  Will post pic next couple of days of truck to help.  Again paint not in dire shape, just looking at costs to plan if it fits our truck budget.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

22 minutes ago, SuiteSuccess said:

Red, paint decent now.  Think maybe right fender may have been repainted but not sure.  Cost would dictate change in color.  Wife and I like dark crimson color but probably just stay red.  No panel or damage replacement although would like to go to newer aero mirrors on hood rather than tripod mirrors so some minor work filling in those holes.  Will post pic next couple of days of truck to help.  Again paint not in dire shape, just looking at costs to plan if it fits our truck budget.

What the shop and I have talked about was doing the bottom skirts, front bumper and bed in a colored LineX/Rhino liner material, and do a second color for the upper parts.  Because of my hail damage, they included a replacement drivers door, hood, and sleeper panel.  

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

7 minutes ago, Alie&Jim's Carrilite said:

What the shop and I have talked about was doing the bottom skirts, front bumper and bed in a colored LineX/Rhino liner material, and do a second color for the upper parts.  Because of my hail damage, they included a replacement drivers door, hood, and sleeper panel.  

Hmm, that’s a thought.  Tom Whitten has his International Rhino lined like you describe.  Looks really good.  My major “dull area” is the front lower guard that contains the fog lights.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

4 minutes ago, SuiteSuccess said:

Hmm, that’s a thought.  Tom Whitten has his International Rhino lined like you describe.  Looks really good.  My major “dull area” is the front lower guard that contains the fog lights.

This outfit offers a few colors, and you can do it yourself. 

https://www.amazon.com/U-Pol-Products-RAPTOR-Black-Truck/dp/B00NOIKSPC

2006 Volvo VNL 780, " Arvey"  Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

2010 Forest River Coachman Freedom Express 280RLS

Jackalopee

36 minutes ago, SuiteSuccess said:

That's who I "Borrowed" 😊 the idea from.  Plus the amount of rust I have on my bed it would seal and stop.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

The 12K-15K is more realistic for a quality job. The 6K jobs are more "commercial" in nature, not up to most RV standards. We just got an estimate for the three color paint job (custom layout) on a NEW truck and it was 19K. But this is a high-quality job, more of a "show paint" job.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Thanks for the replies folks.  Want to get a quality job so probably gonna have to save a bit more.  

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

45 minutes ago, GeorgiaHybrid said:

Nah, just dig up another mason jar or two in the backyard

At least you didn’t tell me to get a new KW!  Some trick letting Donna drive your new truck😏!  I thought for sure you would take that route.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

Yea they do.... I had one order get away from me and I didn't get the paint sketch submitted even close to in time.  She popped out just today actually........in Starbright and Wintry White.  Basically cream white with lilac fenders.  Dangit!  Guess I'm gonna have to either drive it with a paper bag on my head or name her Sue. 😊

Anyways Suite - Auto Truck & Fiberglass in Louisville has done me real well quite a few times over now.  They are 50 miles outside your range but worth a bid.

And if you do slide into Louisville, keep in mind there is a very high end pinstriper right here. Just dig up ONE more mason jar...

Paul & Paula + Daisy the amazing wiggle worm dog...

2001 Volvo 770 Autoshift, Singled, w/ Aluminum Bed - Toy Draggin

2013 395AMP XLR Thunderbolt Toy Hauler

2013 Smart Passion

2012 CanAm Spyder RT

2013 Harley Davidson Street Glide

Archived