75 ft 18 in overall length

noteven

My little phart KW and toyhauler “looks” short due to wheelbase, bodywork it’s lovely configuration etc. If I flat tow my won ton & Alaskan camper in a triple tow I might, due to faulty measuring skills 🙃, exceed 75 ft overall...

Will I be arrested?

or worse be deported back to west Canuck Land in winter?

Will the rv forum Length Police track me down? 

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

28 minutes ago, noteven said:

My little phart KW and toyhauler “looks” short due to wheelbase, bodywork it’s lovely configuration etc. If I flat tow my won ton & Alaskan camper in a triple tow I might, due to faulty measuring skills 🙃, exceed 75 ft overall...

Will I be arrested?

or worse be deported back to west Canuck Land in winter?

Will the rv forum Length Police track me down? 

Nah, we’ll just charge a tariff 😂.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

How close is 75 ft 18 in  to 76' 6"?    😛Sounds like me, I am only 65 and 42 months! 

Chet & Deb
'01 Volvo 660 w/ Smart
'19 Forest River Columbus 320RS 5th wheel
2022 Chev 2500HD Long Bed
Retired CWO4, USN and federal service
Electronics Tech/Network Engineer/Welder/Machinist

If you are thinking about running that contraption here in the states you could be rendered to Goshen and subject to harsh conditions.     Like terrorist, tourist particularly from Kanuckistan are closely monitored by homeland security, the automatic RV sizing satellite constellation will alert the authorities of your entrance.      The black Smart cars will surround you like a swarm of flys, a 30 minute Camping World infomercial will be played 24/7 and leaky sewer hose will dribble in your camp site.     

a NASCAR hat and some Dunkin donuts cups may get you a pass, beware, a single Tim Hortons cup could send you up the river for years.

Steve      

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

Make your own tape measure. 

What will happen at the boarder?

Just do not pass me this year.   I am already thinking about when to raise my water and sewer lines out of the dirt so they are not frozen in again.

Safe Travels,.   Vern

• 2 weeks later...
19 hours ago, Pete Kildow said:

Not an issue, just use invisible tape over the rear section. That way they can't see it until your gone.!

Ya get a “wrap” made that looks like landscape for the sides and the back of the toyhauler for the rear of the toad won ton...

You must be a KW driver too 😀

Just be careful!  A fraction of an inch over puts you into criminal category containing, however unlikely, the possibility of jail time in many states, including SD and TN. 😮

That's not meant to deter anyone, but especially for someone here from another country, a misdemeanor charge/conviction can have lots of other consequences.  You might be able to slip by 100,000 times without issue, but that doesn't mean it'll be fun if you do get hassled.

45' 2004 Showhauler -- VNL300, ISX, FreedomLine -- RVnerds.com -- where I've started to write about what I'm up to

Headlight and Fog Light Upgrades http://deepspacelighting.com

1 hour ago, Nuke-E said:

Just be careful!  A fraction of an inch over puts you into criminal category containing, however unlikely, the possibility of jail time in many states, including SD and TN. 😮

That's not meant to deter anyone, but especially for someone here from another country, a misdemeanor charge/conviction can have lots of other consequences.  You might be able to slip by 100,000 times without issue, but that doesn't mean it'll be fun if you do get hassled.

While I am NOT an attorney my sister is, an over length infraction is an administrative law.    As such unless the vehicle was a danger to others or was driven recklessly the idea that misdemeanor charges are filed would be nil. 

There is another aspect of this, divisible load.    Since the combination vehicle is three units and could easily be separated, law enforcement could compel the operator to separate the combination.      An over length ticket my hurt the wallet of the operator it is not a jail able offence on its own.     The LEO could even be a jerk and tow one unit, that would add extra cost and aggravation.     There is still no "criminal aspect" to the violation.    This is like having dark tinted windows, not allowed but not a criminal statute.    

Steve        

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

I think I can clear this up. If the party of the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd parts can back the entire train around the corner to reach the Loves fuel island without disconnecting any of the originally connected component parts, that would satisfy the first segment of the administrative law requirement. The second part of the admin section would give way to serious criminal charges regarding exposing the general public abnormally hazardous conditions thereby setting the stage for an extended psychological examination of the operator's intent and general mental state. At any point in this process, the DW of the DH involved may end the entire procedure by  uttering the magic words "Name" Get in the damn truck and let's go...Please!!

Paul & Paula + Daisy the amazing wiggle worm dog...

2001 Volvo 770 Autoshift, Singled, w/ Aluminum Bed - Toy Draggin

2013 395AMP XLR Thunderbolt Toy Hauler

2013 Smart Passion

2012 CanAm Spyder RT

2013 Harley Davidson Street Glide

58 minutes ago, Steve from SoCal said:

While I am NOT an attorney my sister is, an over length infraction is an administrative law.    As such unless the vehicle was a danger to others or was driven recklessly the idea that misdemeanor charges are filed would be nil. 

There is another aspect of this, divisible load.    Since the combination vehicle is three units and could easily be separated, law enforcement could compel the operator to separate the combination.      An over length ticket my hurt the wallet of the operator it is not a jail able offence on its own.     The LEO could even be a jerk and tow one unit, that would add extra cost and aggravation.     There is still no "criminal aspect" to the violation.    This is like having dark tinted windows, not allowed but not a criminal statute.    

Steve        

It depends entirely on where you are.  Equipment violations aren't something you have to worry about with interstate agreements like the NRVC or DLA (i.e. where it would go on your driving record), but in South Dakota (as an example) being overlength is a class 2 misdemeanor, which carries a penalty of a fine of $500 and/or 30 days behind bars.  That's a good thing for the most part though, over administrative law, as you're afforded constitutional protections, including counsel, trial by jury, and a reasonable doubt standard.

Those protections come with little risk, as we all know that a charge against an RVer for being overlength, especially if shorter than commercial vehicles allowed, is all about money.  They make money with a fine, and lose money with confinement.

45' 2004 Showhauler -- VNL300, ISX, FreedomLine -- RVnerds.com -- where I've started to write about what I'm up to

5 hours ago, lockmup68 said:

I want to know what is being towed in the "triple" position. 

I can’t count.

Prime mover, rv semi trailer connected by 5th wheel & king pin, flat toad pickup truck with camper connected to the trailer by a pintle hitch ... 

would be a “double tow” not a “triple” tow. 

3 hours ago, Nuke-E said:

It depends entirely on where you are.  Equipment violations aren't something you have to worry about with interstate agreements like the NRVC or DLA (i.e. where it would go on your driving record), but in South Dakota (as an example) being overlength is a class 2 misdemeanor, which carries a penalty of a fine of $500 and/or 30 days behind bars.  That's a good thing for the most part though, over administrative law, as you're afforded constitutional protections, including counsel, trial by jury, and a reasonable doubt standard.

Those protections come with little risk, as we all know that a charge against an RVer for being overlength, especially if shorter than commercial vehicles allowed, is all about money.  They make money with a fine, and lose money with confinement.

I have never traveled in South Dakota and out of curiosity I just looked at their truck MC handbook, dated 2007.    There are a couple things that stand out, it clearly states weight violations are misdemeanors with no such mention of length violations?

The answer to that may lie in the actual statute, there is NO length limit for a semi tractor semi trailer and trailer combination.      The 75' limit is showing a bumper pulled double trailer combination.      A semi tractor drawing a semi trailer with either another semi trailer and dolly or trailer behind it has no length limit or restriction.    There are a couple catches, each trailer must be 45' max and the two trailers together have a 81'6" max length. 

Steve  

1 hour ago, Steve from SoCal said:

I have never traveled in South Dakota and out of curiosity I just looked at their truck MC handbook, dated 2007.    There are a couple things that stand out, it clearly states weight violations are misdemeanors with no such mention of length violations?

The answer to that may lie in the actual statute, there is NO length limit for a semi tractor semi trailer and trailer combination.      The 75' limit is showing a bumper pulled double trailer combination.      A semi tractor drawing a semi trailer with either another semi trailer and dolly or trailer behind it has no length limit or restriction.    There are a couple catches, each trailer must be 45' max and the two trailers together have a 81'6" max length. 

Steve  

Steve, I would bet that you are looking at their commercial regs and not their actual state law....and most of us are no longer "semi tractors"....by defintion and by registration. 

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

1 minute ago, Big5er said:

Steve, I would bet that you are looking at their commercial regs and not their actual state law....and most of us are no longer "semi tractors"....by defintion and by registration. 

Phil,

I believe it IS the commercial motor carrier handbook, the funny thing is they show a PU towing a camper and boat as the double tow bumper pull example.    

This is what I found on a quick search, http://sdtruckinfo.com/docs/mchandbook_chap4.pdf

Steve

yeah, Texas uses a similar picture. I think this is the section covering that picture..

32-22-12.1.   Certain combination exempt--Specifications--Violation as misdemeanor--Rules. The provisions of §§ 32-22-9 to 32-22-11, inclusive, do not apply to a combination of vehicles consisting of a towing motor vehicle and two trailers which conform to the specifications contained in this section. In such a combination, the first trailer shall be connected to the towing vehicle by a ball hitch, a gooseneck hitch, pintle hitch or a fifth wheel hitch. The hitch connecting the second trailer to the first trailer shall be a ball type hitch, gooseneck hitch or a pintle hitch directly fastened to the frame of the first trailer. The second trailer may not exceed twenty-four feet in length and if the gross weight of the second trailer is greater than three thousand pounds, it shall be equipped with breakaway brakes. The maximum length of the vehicles in this combination may not exceed seventy-five feet. A violation of this section is a Class 2 misdemeanor.

I still don't find a max length for a two vehicle combo but I'm betting they are 75ft. 

BTW: Almost every traffic violation is a Class 2 misdemeanor. It is the lowest form of misdemeanor they have. Even speeding is a Class 2. I bet not many traffic violators spend much time in jail. 

EDIT: Looking at the link that Steve posted SD lists a straight truck/trailer comb as allowed 80ft overall. That is as close to our description as I can find in SD law although technically we would be a straight truck/SEMI trailer combo. 

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Phil,

Please explain,  traffic violations are infractions?     Does a city/county attorney have to elevate to file misdemeanor charges?    In Kansas and California you can't get a jury trial for a traffic ticket.

Steve 

24 minutes ago, Steve from SoCal said:

Phil,

Please explain,  traffic violations are infractions?     Does a city/county attorney have to elevate to file misdemeanor charges?    In Kansas and California you can't get a jury trial for a traffic ticket.

Steve 

In most cases, there's basically a set of fines that's available if you want to waive your constitutional rights and plead guilty, sometimes (often?) less than what you would be exposed to if you go to trial.  Kansas does have a right to trial by jury for speeding, parking, and equipment violations--it just might not be straightforward how to avail yourself of it.  California doesn't have that right, but they do have "trial by declaration", which at least gives you an option to argue without having to go back to appear.

Tennessee has a jury trial right for traffic violations, with a few exceptions, but nearly absolute.  If there's any possible confinement--even if the prosecution agrees not to pursue confinement--or a maximum possible fine of greater than $50, you have a constitutional right to trial by jury, preliminary hearing to establish probable cause to bind over to a grand jury, etc.  Most traffic offenses are class C misdemeanors, including length and width, speeding, following too closely, etc., with $50 and 30 days as maximum penalty.  Tennessee goes above a lot of states, in that if you plead not guilty, you have to waive your right to jury trial in writing in order for a trial to commence.  In many others, if you fail to make a timely demand, you miss the opportunity.

In South Dakota, if the judge tells you in advance that you will not receive jail time, you aren't guaranteed a jury trial as far as I can tell.

58 minutes ago, Big5er said:

EDIT: Looking at the link that Steve posted SD lists a straight truck/trailer comb as allowed 80ft overall. That is as close to our description as I can find in SD law although technically we would be a straight truck/SEMI trailer combo. 

I can't find 75ft either, but could have sworn I'd found it in years past.  All I could find was the single-vehicle limit at 45 feet, and the same limits you mention.

Since they define a semi trailer as having a kingpin, I can go out and pull a 45' stacker behind a 45' motorhome.  Well, at least back and forth across I-90.  I'm sure Minnesota wouldn't approve.

Archived