75 ft 18 in overall length

noteven

This past spring I came thru SD on our way north and was 78-80 foot long.  Truck and RV are 67feet plus I was towing another 12ftish utility trailer with an ATV, no one gave us a second look.  And we drove around Sioux Falls twice on the city streets like this. 

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

8 minutes ago, Alie&Jim's Carrilite said:

This past spring I came thru SD on our way north and was 78-80 foot long.  Truck and RV are 67feet plus I was towing another 12ftish utility trailer with an ATV, no one gave us a second look.  And we drove around Sioux Falls twice on the city streets like this. 

Sounds about right, even if that was over length.  There are bigger fish to fry.

45' 2004 Showhauler -- VNL300, ISX, FreedomLine -- RVnerds.com -- where I've started to write about what I'm up to

Headlight and Fog Light Upgrades http://deepspacelighting.com

On 9/5/2018 at 9:22 PM, Nuke-E said:

Sounds about right, even if that was over length.  There are bigger fish to fry.

For over 8 years I drove our semi truck, various trailers all over 38', and pulled a Jeep. All over the South and West and midwest. I did not enter CA, WA or go above VA on the east coast. But everywhere else I towed the doubles. I was never stopped or questioned. Now, that really means absolutely nothing, except to confirm the statement above.  I put almost 200,000 miles on in that configuration. I was routinely over 80'.  

I do know people that have been stopped for overlength. But I never was. 

Was it safe? Well, not as safe as my smart on the deck of the truck, IMO. Do I recommend it? No.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

In Vermont the max over all is 75 feet for a truck and trailer, 65 for a moter home pulling a trailer. When I was a Deputy I did not know about the moter home being shorter, it was never mentioned in any moter vehicle class I took. When I had the Vin verification done on the Volvo I was talking about the truck with the officer and he admitted he had "forgotten" MH were shorter. He also said he didn't care, said he only stops campers if they are doing something unsafe.

If you look on the AAA web site some states are as short as 50 feet wirh any toad at 20 feet. I think most over length units are not stoped because the states need the tourist dollers as well as tax dollers for registrations on trailers that may be overlong in there state. 

Look safe, be safe, and don't stand out and you may be left alone. I doubt the border inspector cares how long you are. They can be difficult if you tick them off even a little. A lot of them are actually rent a cops not border patrol, this may be differnt now but it used to be. I am friends with one who has been retired for years.

As typical, mixing Commercial and non-Commercial just doesn't work.   A Commercial tractor with trailer has virtually no length limit under the Federal Commercial Truck rules.  Key words "a single trailer".  Add a second trailer and States rules for length come crashing in.

No RV is covered under the Federal Code and is totally subject to the rules of the state you are in, not your registration state.  State codes set weight and length limits.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

Archived