Trailer brakes

lockmup68

When we got towed in Dillon, the kind folks at the KOA came and towed the Teton to the park while the truck was towed to the shop. Mr. Bob mentioned that he couldn’t stop the trailer as no brakes. I never noticed they weren’t stopping on the whole trip out (:)) with the HDT. So after the Canadian let of the trip, had some time here in Eastern Oregon to crawl under and check things out. One of the brake lines on the middle axle was completely broken in two. 

So down to NAPA and pieces together a couple of lengths to get the right length and they loaned me a tube bender for 5 min to get it formed right. The length was about three inches too long, so I bent a couple of “waves” to shorten it up to right lengths.

put almost an entire quart of brake fluid in the reservoir/pump, then how to bleed by myself? Not sure if this was the right way to do it, but I surmised that the breakaway switch applies pressure to the system, Soni pulled the breakaway switch, dove back under the trailer and bled each caliper from rear to front. After bleeding all six calipers, topped off the pump and did it again.

I’ll be able to test tomorrow after we get hooked up.

very grateful for the Bigfoot levelers that got the whole trailer up so I could squeeze my big but under all the axles. :)

2003 International Eagle 9200i, Cummins ISX, Freedomline

2007 Teton Scottsdale XT4

This is why you should do a pretrip inspection, when traveling.    A walk around may have spotted leaking brake fluid before it all went away.     I know RV trailers are not easy to get under but, things like brakes, suspension and inside tire sidewalls are all major points of failure.    Not to mention just making sure nothing is fowled in the axles/wheels.

Steve

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

I do a Pre trip inspection and nothing was noticed before the breakdown. After that tow and when I got to the campground, I did notice fluid on the wheel, which is why I crawled up under. Looked like a fresh break. The bend in the brake line was extreme and it was obvious they did it by hand vs using a tube bender. I added about eight inches in length to the brake line in order to put proper bends in the line. 

Love having the truck where I don’t ‘have’ to rely on the trailer brakes to stop, but they are there as added insurance. With an LGT, they do not stop without trailer brakes. 

I have had my brake lines fail on three occasions. I finally replaced all the lines with flexible rubber coated braided lines and have not had a problem since. When bleeding the lines on these hydraulic systems always start by bleeding the reservoir first then the closest to furthest axles from the reservoir. Also, be very careful when crawling under axles with only using hydraulic jacks. Use jack stands to be sure because if you don't fit under axles with unit on the ground that means if the trailer lowered down on jacks it would crush you. Safety first!!!   😀

Shannon, I'm assuming you have the Dexter disk brake system on there.  If so, there are two bleeds valves per each wheel.  You didn't say you removed the wheels while up on the Big Foot system, but you need to.  I believe Rick's sequence is correct.  If your's was like mine, the line runs down the passenger side and then T's over each axle to the driver side.  So after bleeding the reservoir and master cylinder first, the next bleed spot is the right forward position (inside bleeder than outside bleeder), then go to the forward left position, then back to middle right....

You cannot leave any air in the system.  One air bubble anywhere will expand when you are using the brakes if the system is getting hot, and it will apply the pressure to a set of pads.

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
2016 DRV Mobile Suites, Houston
HERO Makers Ministry

30495168531_143d8fb8d6_m.jpg

16 hours ago, HERO Maker said:

Shannon, I'm assuming you have the Dexter disk brake system on there.  If so, there are two bleeds valves per each wheel.  You didn't say you removed the wheels while up on the Big Foot system, but you need to.  I believe Rick's sequence is correct.  If your's was like mine, the line runs down the passenger side and then T's over each axle to the driver side.  So after bleeding the reservoir and master cylinder first, the next bleed spot is the right forward position (inside bleeder than outside bleeder), then go to the forward left position, then back to middle right....

You cannot leave any air in the system.  One air bubble anywhere will expand when you are using the brakes if the system is getting hot, and it will apply the pressure to a set of pads.

I actually didn’t see any bleeders on the calipers, so I just cracked each line. Until air was out. Did that twice. 

Just got to the Oregon coast. Brakes were working good entire trip. Started with tug test this morning. And checked each time we stopped. I’ll get back under there and see if I can find a bleeder. 

I do have the manual, and it didn’t say anything about bleeding at the pump. Just at the calipers. The pump primed pretty easy when pulling the breakaway switch. And I did it according to the manual instructions: back to front, drivers back, pass back, drivers mid, pass mid, drivers front, pass front. 

Thanks all. 

PS: pulled into the campground on the coast here. DRV parked two spots down. She immediately came over and said, “we miss our Teton! Wish we never would have sold it for this DRV.” Nice folks. 

When we left La Grande, OR this morn, it was 103. High was 65 today on the coast. Love it. And we had AC in the truck the whole day! Bonus. 

I just had a sleepover as a guest at a lake community s&b home. People put me up in a less than five year old Fuzion somethin somethin toyhauler. Nice decor fancy leveling second bath off the garage complete with light switches not by the doors, and a master bedroom with no window that opens for ventilation. Oh and the forward roof a/c is mounted above the bedroom. Some dumba$$ designed that said the owner.

I like my old crate of a Carriage trailer...

Not sure why we sell things then miss them... but I’ve done it me too

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

Back to brakes.........

tomorrow, i get to bleed my brakes again.  I lost a line on the middle axle when the tire tread wrapped around the axle.  The debris took out the valve stems on the other two tires as well.  

Lost 3 tires, one wheel, one brake line, and 4 hours, so far.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

1 hour ago, rickeieio said:

Lost 3 tires, one wheel, one brake line, and 4 hours, so far.

But how was the cell service? Was there time to enjoy a fine cigar while the Missus went for support? 

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Cell service was fine, but the beer can lane was under 9' wide.  Had police and highway maintenance guy blocking for us.

Today I will go buy a bottle jack and get the brake line repaired, then take the old dry rotted spare in for a fresh tire.  Shop only had two in stock......... I'll buy another wheel when we get home.

As for luck, I'm not complaining.  I've been married to the same woman for 44 years and 5 days, and we don't go hungry. 

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Archived