Air System Filter ?'s

alan0043

Hi Everyone,

I am planning to do some maintenance on the truck. I had a previous post asking questions about the DEF pump filter. That got me thinking about a couple other filters that should be changed. One of the filters that I plan to change has the word ' Bendix' on it. This filter is located on the drivers side frame rail rear of the DEF tank. Can someone tell me the name of this filter ? That way when I go to the dealership I am asking for the right part. Also I was reading thru the operators manual vehicle maintenance book. There is two filters mentioned in the book. They are the following, oil coalescing desiccant cartridge that should be changed yearly and a coalescing air dryer filter that should be changed every 2 to 3 years. Can someone point out to me the location of these two filters. Maybe one of those filters has the word 'Bendix' on it. My plan is to go to the parts store on Monday. The truck is a 2012 Volvo 630 with a D13 engine

Thanks for any help,
Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

Guessing, but I think they are talking about multiple options of the same dessicant cartridge, and probably options we can't get in the states.  But regardless, you get to pick it as you need.  And, assuming AD-IS, get yourself a chain wrench or monster strap wrench!

For your truck:

http://www.bendix.com/media/documents/products_1/airtreatment_1/bw2811boilcoalescingbrochure2011_update6_11standardrez.pdf

Wabco equivalent:

http://www.meritorwabco.com/MeritorWABCO_document/SP-1497.pdf

The European Wabco cartridges:  Doesn't matter much to you, but it explains what they were talking about between yearly and 2-3 years.  I'd imagine there is some European in your owners manual.

http://www.wabco-auto.com/fileadmin/Products/Air_Management/ASP_Brochure/8200100773_Air_System_protector_Brochure__EN_.pdf

27 minutes ago, Scrap said:

Guessing, but I think they are talking about multiple options of the same dessicant cartridge, and probably options we can't get in the states.  But regardless, you get to pick it as you need.  And, assuming AD-IS, get yourself a chain wrench or monster strap wrench!

For your truck:

http://www.bendix.com/media/documents/products_1/airtreatment_1/bw2811boilcoalescingbrochure2011_update6_11standardrez.pdf

Wabco equivalent:

The European Wabco cartridges:  Doesn't matter much to you, but it explains what they were talking about between yearly and 2-3 years.  I'd imagine there is some European in your owners manual.

http://www.wabco-auto.com/fileadmin/Products/Air_Management/ASP_Brochure/8200100773_Air_System_protector_Brochure__EN_.pdf

Hi Scrap,

Thank you for posting the info on the different options for the truck. So you think that the truck only has one filter on the air system ? Some of the information that I posted came from the owners manual. Maybe there is talk about European options in the owners manual. Hopefully the dealership can help me out with the right chose. I will have the truck's serial number with me. Hopefully that should narrow things down. I do have a pretty good strap wrench that I use to change the whole house water filter with.

If anyone else has any idea's about the filters that I'm talking about, please post a comment or too. I don't think that I am the first one to go thru this. Maybe we could help someone else out.

Al

It is Volvo stuff so I don't really know.  But that's my guess is only one filter.  Yea the VIN will be the answer.  Or the VIN will show a standard Wabco and somebody upgraded the truck to a Puraguard, making things more confusing.  Brace yourself because Puraguards aren't cheap!

15 hours ago, MrSeas said:

Hi MrSeas,

Thank you for posting the video. It is going to be a big help. I noticed the strap wrench used in the video. My strap wrench is not a ratchet style or that big. I hope my strap wrench will work. Might be time to get a new tool. I'll give my wrench a try and go from there.

Thank you again for the help,
Al

Al,

Dave Henegar and I changed mine at the ECR. He had a chain wrench and a strap wrench. It took the chain wrench and a big bar to get the filter off even though you only hand tighten the replacement. Be sure and pay attention to the smaller "o" ring included with the new filter and lube both rings with some oil or equivalent. 

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

1 hour ago, SuiteSuccess said:

Al,

Dave Henegar and I changed mine at the ECR. He had a chain wrench and a strap wrench. It took the chain wrench and a big bar to get the filter off even though you only hand tighten the replacement. Be sure and pay attention to the smaller "o" ring included with the new filter and lube both rings with some oil or equivalent. 

Hi Carl,

Thank you for the advice. I will keep an eye out for the small 'o' ring.

I hope Georgia Hybrid (Dave) will see this thread and make a comment about the chain wrench. I wonder what brand of chain wrench Dave has. And also what size bar was used to help get the filter off.

Al

Al,

Just look at chain filter wrenches on Google. OTC makes a long handled one, Crescent has one that you could put a cheater bar over if needed. Just be sure if you get one that it will encircle at least a 5 1/2" filter. Dave always has quality tools so his may have been Snap-On or Matco. 

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Here is the one that Carl and I used on his truck.

http://www.tooltopia.com/otc-tools-7401.aspx?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=paid_search_google_pla&adpos=1o3&scid=scplpOTC7401&sc_intid=OTC7401&gclid=CPSsvqrI_dQCFVVLDQod00MOXw

I also had an old Vise grip chain wrench that has come in handy more times than I will ever remember as well as a Snapon wrench similar to the one MrSeas linked above and another chain wrench by Matco.

The OTC that I linked to will allow you to put a 3 or 4 foot cheater on it and it WILL remove just about anything that will break a normal strap wrench. those four are my go to wrenches for large diameter filters that are put on WAY too tight. Don't worry about the filter deforming, it will still grip them and sooner or later, that will break loose.

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

14 hours ago, GeorgiaHybrid said:

Here is the one that Carl and I used on his truck.

http://www.tooltopia.com/otc-tools-7401.aspx?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=paid_search_google_pla&adpos=1o3&scid=scplpOTC7401&sc_intid=OTC7401&gclid=CPSsvqrI_dQCFVVLDQod00MOXw

I also had an old Vise grip chain wrench that has come in handy more times than I will ever remember as well as a Snapon wrench similar to the one MrSeas linked above and another chain wrench by Matco.

The OTC that I linked to will allow you to put a 3 or 4 foot cheater on it and it WILL remove just about anything that will break a normal strap wrench. those four are my go to wrenches for large diameter filters that are put on WAY too tight. Don't worry about the filter deforming, it will still grip them and sooner or later, that will break loose.

Hi Dave,

Thank You for posting the info. The chain wrench you posted has an interesting price. If I knew that I was going to use that wrench several times a month it would be worth the price to me. But I can only see using that wrench once or twice. I try to justify the cost per times used. Is there a quality wrench at a reasonable price ? Maybe $70 is a reasonable price, I don't know.

Al

Al,

Google chain wrenches and there are cheaper versions. Bet Harbor Freight or Northern Tool may have a cheaper version.   Just remember you get what you pay for and from looking at Dave's OTC it would probably be a lifetime wrench.  I looked at the last time the shop changed my desiccant filter and labor alone was $65 and filter charged at $35.  When Dave agreed to help I bought the filter at Volvo for about $20 and once we got the wrench on it took maybe 15 mins, so savings on filter markup and labor more than made up for the $78. Besides I was going to steal Dave's wrench but he kept a close eye on me and goes armed everywhere.?

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

Alan,

I wrench on the family cars and that chain wrench comes out a lot. It can be used to hold a pulley when removing the pulley bolts, as a BIG pipe wrench when needed and on removing any of the other filters on your truck. It is a once and done purchase that can be handed down to the kids. ToolTopia has very good prices on quality tools and even though that seems expensive, that same tool off of the Snapon or Matco truck would be double that price. In this case, not worth the difference in quality as OTC makes a nice chain wrench.

2017 Kenworth T680
2016 Smart Prime

On ‎7‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 1:17 PM, Scrap said:

For your truck:

Wabco equivalent:

Hi Everyone,

I stopped at the dealership to find out what equipment my truck started with. I gave the parts guy the truck serial number. And he told me that the truck started life with Wabco equipment. The parts guys also stated, if the truck has a Bendix equipment on it now, it would be best to remove the cartridge and look for the part number or bring the cartridge with me to the dealership. I will report back later after I find out more.

Al

I called my local Volvo dealer with my VIN and was quoted $111.00 for a dryer cartridge. I went to Ebay and got a Wabco oil coalescing filter for $50.00 delivered to my door. The purely dessicant Wabco filter was $38.00 on Ebay but I decided on the oil coalescing one since my compressor may be original with 800 k on it. The filter I removed and the housing seemed pretty clean, though. Napa, with the AITA discount wanted $55.00 and they didn't know if their Wix brand was straight dessicant or dessicant/oil coalescing.    Charlie

Don't ever tell a soldier that he doesn't understand the cost of war.

Al, more than likely, you have the AD-IS filter and the oil coalescing one will run about $130 online. Hopefully you will not need a big chain wrench to get it off. Wish you were around the Chattanooga area as it would be a simple thing to do here. Any independent shop would also be able to change it for you as well.

2017 Kenworth T680
2016 Smart Prime

6 hours ago, GeorgiaHybrid said:

Al, more than likely, you have the AD-IS filter and the oil coalescing one will run about $130 online. Hopefully you will not need a big chain wrench to get it off. Wish you were around the Chattanooga area as it would be a simple thing to do here. Any independent shop would also be able to change it for you as well.

Hi Dave,

I wish too I lived around Chattanooga area. I think I could learn a few new things or too about trucks. Hopefully I will be able to get the filter off and find a part number on it. Maybe I should buy it on line. I have a feeling that it could be pricey at the dealership. I thought the only way to get this filter was at the dealership. The filter for the DEF pump was $81 at the dealership. Maybe I did pay to much for that filter, who knows.

Al

Archived