How many tools to keep?

lockmup68

I have found I hardly ever use my pneumatic impact now that I have a 1/2" DeWalt battery unit.  No hose to drag around and more torque from the electric.

Av8r3400
2012 Volvo VNL 730 D13 iShift & 2021 Grand Design Momentum 397TH

TEq81qV.jpg

I'd rather die trying to live - Than live trying not to die.   -Leonard Perry

On 9/11/2017 at 8:09 PM, GeorgiaHybrid said:

I have a 1/2" battery Snap-on on the truck but still keep a 3/4" air impact for those times when you need the power and yes, I have a large enough air supply for it.

No way! That old K-Waper has a big air pump!!😂😂

Just kidding I know to will blow some much needed air. 

Roger

GCTaaehl.jpg

The size of the compressor isn't nearly as important as the volume of the tank and the diameter of the hose. 

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

1 hour ago, GeorgiaHybrid said:

Our compressor puts out 37.4 cfm, we had extra airtanks added and we have (2) 1/2" lines straight off of the auxillary tanks for quick connects. Air is not a problem set up that way.

What exactly do you have?    That is about double the CFM of most on highway air compressors?  

Steve

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

Steve, it is a 2 cyl air compressor that KW offers as an option on the ISX Cummins. From what I understand, about the only people that order that option (other than idiots like myself) are the guys building a large rotator wrecker for HDT's. That way they have onboard air for recovery lift air bags, airlines to the towed truck, air tools, etc. I also optioned out aluminum tanks to eliminate a rusting issue.

I guess I am spoiled by the compressor art at my home shop, I run a Quincy QR series professional there with a 120 gallon tank. I HATE waiting on air to build up so I ordered the truck with that compressor to be able to do whatever I wanted to concerning compressed air.

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

9 hours ago, GeorgiaHybrid said:

Our compressor puts out 37.4 cfm, we had extra airtanks added and we have (2) 1/2" lines straight off of the auxillary tanks for quick connects. Air is not a problem set up that way.

Now we know why hurricane Jose didn't hit the U.S.  David developed a leak in his system and it blew it offshore.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

On 9/15/2017 at 8:36 PM, rickeieio said:

The size of the compressor isn't nearly as important as the volume of the tank and the diameter of the hose. 

Right on.  I have an auxiliary tank pack on the back of the cab and a 3/8" airline on a reel with a regulator.  I carry an assortment of air tools - ratchets, impact, hammer, body saw.  You do not need to run them continuously so air depletion like a sander or spray gun is not an issue.  As long as you can run the engine they can make any other wrench work much quicker and easier.   A 10 or 12 ton air over hydraulic bottle jack is a must in my tool box.  Hand pump jacks are a pain on a heavy vehicle.   Be sure to number your tool bags and make up a printed list or cards that inventory each bag - can save a lot of time looking for a particular tool or part.  I am a tool junkie and impatient when I can't lay my hands on a needed tool.  Visa or Mastercard are for beer, empty space is for tools and spare parts.

300.JPG.c2a50e50210ede7534c4c440c7f9aa80.JPG

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

"The Great White" - 2004 Volvo VNL670, D12, 10-speed, converted to single axle pulling a Keystone Cambridge 5th wheel, 40', 4 slides and about 19,000# with empty tanks.

ARS - WB4BZX, Electrical Engineer, Master Electrician, D.Ed., Professor Emeritus - Happily Retired!

Archived