10/4 good buddies

Vegas Teacher

10 - 4 good buddies!!!!!!!!

Happy October 4th.

You know I tried to do this in class today, and explain a C.B. Handle to my kids and play the song "Convoy" but they could have cared less. When I was in high school I had a hopped up 1979 family truckster Malibu Classic Station Wagon. I think I heard every joke possible about this car.But I had a C.B. and a stereo in it. I loved it, it was freedom. We used to play a game where we would go out in the country and hide and describe where we were. The last person to find us had to buy the beer for the group for the next weeks outing. God did we have fun. I am Italian and was a huge fan of the Rocky movies so I was Italian Stallion for my handle. Yes I was clueless and couldn't get a date to save my life, hared to believe I ever got married. Anyway I know this was not a truck posting but it was kind of fun.

I would like to thank all who chimed in on my transmission question, it really helped me out.

I am sure I will be able to buy a rig this summer. I am just going to wait and do it when I have plenty savings and time to go down to get it. I got good news from my school. I am going to get what is called a prep buy out so I will make an extra 8K this year I am going to put toward my truck. Each teacher has a prep for a class period where they do not have a class but they are at school getting paid, however if you teach instead of use it as a planning period they pay you for it. So that will increase the kitty nicely on the truck purchase. Now I have a 23.5 foot travel trailer but after I buy the Semi I am going to start saving for the 45 foot, triple Axel Palace home on wheels. I am definitely thinking used, I have seen some great deals on Craig's list and EBAY. Also looking to buy a 2 door Jeep Wrangler or Jeep Wrangler Rubicon. Once again more savings I refuse to finance.

Once again happy 10 - 4

Later,

Cory O - Vegas Teacher

Cory,

I must commend you on deciding not to finance if you don't really need to. You may have to contend with "hand-me downs", but in the end, you'll feel good about your accomplishments, and not having to worry about making monthly payments.

Our truck is a 2001 model, our toy hauler a 2008. Both were "experienced" when purchased, but I made one (big) payment on each.

Well managed debt is a great business tool, but I refuse to finance something I don't really need.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Good deals come and go, Cory.. As soon as you stop (or slow down) looking.. you will find a bunch! But dont worry... More will come by!
I was in a similar boat as you and I refused to finance... I gave up looking for about a week or two.. I had it narrowed down and the deals fell through. Next thing I knew a killer deal fell in my lap and I was a HDT owner. Good luck and keep hunting!

Not to shift subject, but what side of town are you a teacher? I've got two boys in Arbor View in the NW

atv_idiot

I also live up in the northwest, I am at Farm and Dectur in the Lynbrook addition. I teach at Shadow Ridge. Your principal at Arbor and I go way back I have known his family for years and he is a great friend. Have your kids had Mr. Mirich? He was in my wedding. Mr. McPartlin was at my wedding. Mirich is a great freind. What about Mrs. Ziegler also a great person I taught with years ago at Western High School.

Please email me at my interact address:

ossanvc@interact.ccsd.net

Would love to see your rig sometime or get together for a drink. How far are you from The Lodge at Tenaya or T-birds on Farm?

Sad part is right now I have been diagnosed as pre-diabetic and I can't drink but one, however just 6 months ago I used to enjoy a lot more than one.

So please get in touch with me. Also feel bad calling anybody idiot.

atv_idiot

I also live up in the northwest, I am at Farm and Dectur in the Lynbrook addition. I teach at Shadow Ridge. Your principal at Arbor and I go way back I have known his family for years and he is a great friend. Have your kids had Mr. Mirich? He was in my wedding. Mr. McPartlin was at my wedding. Mirich is a great freind. What about Mrs. Ziegler also a great person I taught with years ago at Western High School.

Please email me at my interact address:

ossanvc@interact.ccsd.net

Would love to see your rig sometime or get together for a drink. How far are you from The Lodge at Tenaya or T-birds on Farm?

Sad part is right now I have been diagnosed as pre-diabetic and I can't drink but one, however just 6 months ago I used to enjoy a lot more than one.

So please get in touch with me. Also feel bad calling anybody idiot.

Small world... My oldest had Mrs. Ziegler, and knows of Mr. Mirich. I'll actually be over at Shadow on Thursday for my sons Varsity Soccer game. We're on the north side of Floyd Lamb Park.. Durango and Cabin

Your friend John wants to get together too.. My schedule for the next month is just packed, but wouldnt mind getting together for a drink after Halloween.

W

You might want to research how to talk on your CB. I am a retired trucker with 20 years and 3,000,000 logged miles and I can assure you that truckers DO NOT LIKE to be called "Good Buddy"!

CB is like a computer with a floppy disk slot.

Those kids probably talk (or text) to their "good buddies" on the 21st century version of CB via smart phones,

Funny trucker story......group of us "convoying" to the (CA) Glamis dunes in the early 90's for our annual

guys only fun in the dunes event during the week - mostly pickups & utility trailers.

Using CB en-route.

On the way back a few days later - no more convoying - but tried to "find" any of the (our) group within range,

on the channels we had pre-selected (*not* 19).

Passing the scales (which had a long line-up) heard a guy chatting with his (good?) buddy about where he could

score some dope when they got to L.A.

Told him I was in the Pete a "few rigs back", and was going to kick his butt for giving truckers a bad name.

Guy riding with me about had a coronary!

Should have heard the "back-peddling" about what the driver -and his friend- really meant.

Wondered how long -and often- he was checking his mirrors, until he cleared the scales... :D

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://jalopnik.com/how-to-talk-on-a-cb-radio-5983279/amp&ved=0ahUKEwjAmP_JosTPAhUN1WMKHRG0B9AQFggmMAQ&usg=AFQjCNHUrZFkyZxAzOSMHL8r1l9ooHJWYw&sig2=mNyvFRMZ1YIKbzaPefwzAw

Here's one article about current CB lingo that confirms what I heard a number of years ago regarding the term "good buddy". It's down the page a few paragraphs...not exactly something you'd want to call a trucker...

Doug
Frequent "lurker"
Occasional poster
First step towards the RV setup complete: 1 smart car

There ya go Cory, you come on here asking everyone for advice and then go and call them all homo's!! Lol

While you guys have been having a PTA meeting, I have been messaging with another Vegas 780 owner, who happens to live very close to ATV_Idiot. Sounds like we need to set up a group meetup, with or without trucks, sometime after Halloween.

John

Southern Nevada

2008 Volvo 780, D13, I-Shift

2017 Keystone Fuzion 420 Toyhauler 

2017 Can-Am Maverick X3-RS

ALAKAZARCACODEFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMAMNMS
event.png

CB? Didn't that go the way of the Tandy TRS-80?

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Thanks for the lesson in C.B. language, when I had my C.B. in high school that was a common term and not thought negatively of. Where I am from your buddy or buddies are your friends nothing more nothing less. Also as a teacher I have to think about how I deliver a message or explain things to students. I always have to be politically correct, and I am. I have to be well read, well spoken and supportive. If I did upset any of the group who reads this I am sorry. Nothing was meant to upset anyone.

One of the worst parts or print only is that we do not get to see facial expressions or hear voice tone, all we see it the words and letters written on the message, maybe someday with better technology that will change.

Anyway please forgive my ignorance. Also thanks to all of you who responded about other parts of the email and did not focus on one little mistake.

Also on Vegas Flyer's mail he uses the term PTA meeting now for school teachers that means Parent Teacher Organization I hope I am at least understanding that lingo correctly.

Later,

Vegas Teacher

Oh yeah, Tom. As you found out first hand lots of good, knowledgeable people in this group and you just paid your initiation dues, so thanks again.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

I remember when you still needed a license to use a CB. I still have mine somewhere...

I still remember my official CB license number...KBEP 0919...(now... if I could just remember what I'm supposed to do 20 minutes from now... haha!)

Doug
Frequent "lurker"
Occasional poster
First step towards the RV setup complete: 1 smart car

. . . when I had my C.B. in high school that was a common term and not thought negatively of.

You KNOW that you're old when you can remember when "good buddy" was a friendly greeting, not a derisive insult -- and unfortunately, I can count myself among those that do.

Unfortunately, I also fall into the group that's weighed in as being so old that they've paid for a CB license that came with a three-letter call sign. So with that said . . . KXT2266, out!

Phil

2002 Teton Royal Aspen

2003 Kenworth T2000 - Cat C12 380/430 1450/1650, FreedomLine, 3.36 - TOTO . . . he's not in Kansas anymore.

ET Air Hitch

Archived