10/4 good buddies

Vegas Teacher

Next thing you folks are going to be telling me is something about putting a dime in a telephone to make a call...

Jeff Beyer temporarily retired from Trailer Transit
2000 Freightliner Argosy Cabover
2008 Work and Play 34FK
Homebase NW Indiana, no longer full time

Yea, I even remember pay phones on every corner too! We used to call home from a certain one and not put any money in. That was the signal to call the payphone back and we could talk.

OR And when you called home you had to educate the operator how to connect the call. You would tell the operator you wanted Rural 4407 at ____ . The operator would for the missing number. Then you would tell the operator the was a rural line, #44 and the ring was 7 (3 longs). Then they would say I don't know how to Dial that. Then you say, call Chicago long distance routing to call R______ to connect to F_____ . F_____ will connect you to S____ who will ring Rural 4407. Her response may be" I'm getting Supervisor cause your kidding me.

Clay & Marcie Too old to play in the snow

Diesel pusher and previously 2 FW and small Class C

Next thing you folks are going to be telling me is something about putting a dime in a telephone to make a call...

Coke machine = a nickel and two pennies - then nickel and three pennies - then it went to a dime. (late 40's, early 50's)

A gal of gas for my '50 Ford at the cheapie (Powerine) gas sta = .19 cents (about 1958)

Good 'ol farmboy guy that I worked with would go back to Iowa (etc) with an old diesel school bus (he re-powered it, gas to diesel) and fill it with antique furniture to resell in CA.......

Added tanks to that bus - first stop was across the border for four hundred (yes, 400!) gals at .17 cents a gallon. (early 70's)

"Graduated" to small automated music machines and steam powered toys from the 1800's - "small - but "BIG" bucks on resale.

Barn finds included one 'keeper' player piano.

Fond? *%&$ memories of helping him move that thing!

BTW - (school bus guy) - was a TRUE entrepreneur, his DW was his (excellent) "parts chaser".

When he was in the USMC he would take a load of rifles off the base in the trunk of the car (can you say YIKES!) to be cleaned, polished, etc. for inspection. Think it was about $1. each - .......*SHE* did the work - never failed an inspection.

~

• 7 months later...
On 10/9/2016 at 2:55 PM, Pappy Yokum said:

Coke machine = a nickel and two pennies - then nickel and three pennies - then it went to a dime. (late 40's, early 50's)

A gal of gas for my '50 Ford at the cheapie (Powerine) gas sta = .19 cents (about 1958)

Good 'ol farmboy guy that I worked with would go back to Iowa (etc) with an old diesel school bus (he re-powered it, gas to diesel) and fill it with antique furniture to resell in CA.......

Added tanks to that bus - first stop was across the border for four hundred (yes, 400!) gals at .17 cents a gallon. (early 70's)

"Graduated" to small automated music machines and steam powered toys from the 1800's - "small - but "BIG" bucks on resale.

Barn finds included one 'keeper' player piano.

Fond? *%&$ memories of helping him move that thing!

BTW - (school bus guy) - was a TRUE entrepreneur, his DW was his (excellent) "parts chaser".

When he was in the USMC he would take a load of rifles off the base in the trunk of the car (can you say YIKES!) to be cleaned, polished, etc. for inspection. Think it was about $1. each - .......*SHE* did the work - never failed an inspection.

~

I am a Vegas Teacher as well, also in the Northwest.  Taught at a school off North Decatur and still teaching in North LV.

I was taken back (way back?) by your Powerine comment.  I used to save up the coupons to get gas in my 55 Olds at the Powerine on Otis, then slip over to the Lucky Boys if I had any cash. 

Getting set for retirement after the next year. (Class sizes just getting too big!)

Maybe we will see each other on the road!

All of this nonsense started with the Dukes of Hazzard TV show.   When the producers were planning the series, they contacted the FCC and told them they would be using CB radios as an integral part of the story line.  They wanted to play it straight, and asked for several call signs they could use on the program so their characters could follow the proper protocol on their CBs.

Some apparatchik in the FCC responded, saying not only hell no we don't issue "fake" callsigns, but any licensed TV station airing the show could be fined for airing false station IDs if a CB callsign went out over their airwaves.

So, the show runners decided to go with made-up CB handles instead.   The CB handle culture started with the Smokey and the Bandit movies, but the Dukes advanced it to the mainstream.   Shortly afterwards the FCC threw in the towel and gave up requiring licenses for CB radios. 

Payphones, dimes, quarters, etc.nice

DW and I were talking about this the other day.  Pay phones used to be in a nice "weatherproof" enclosure with bi-fold doors.  Mostly wood, with the glass "sandwiched" with (what appeared to be) chicken wire.

Then went to aluminum 'full size" as above.  Then to just a phone on a pole with a slight overhang to protect the phone and user from the weather. Then ALL gone.  Wish I had tracked down one of the first two as an antique "gee whiz".  Would do just fine outside.

Stage four(?) , with cell phone "proliferation", was the disappearance of freeway call boxes almost overnight. (at least in CA)

Bottom line - if you need assistance on the freeway you had better have a cell phone, On-Star, or? 

One last - when cell phones first arrived on scene - it was amazing how many calls the FD would get from "new" users who just wanted the opportunity to use their new toy.while zooming down the road at 65mph.

One of those (Big 5er, take note) was a call for a van on fire on the very busy 405 Fwy in So.Cal.  Guys responded in big red, saw a Chippy with a *car* pulled over for a "greetings", or?   As they slowed to pull over, they saw a van about an 1/8th mile further down the fwy.  Apparent "smoke" coming from under the hood.

Upon arrival - "smoke" turned out to be steam from a broken radiator hose - but no driver anywhere to be seen??  Being thorough, the  guys open the side door of the van.  Hey - what are those neatly stacked bales filling the interior from floor to ceiling??. Funny odor!  Wacky tobacci!

It's getting dark, and who knows where the owner of this valuable cargo may be lurking.....so Cappy tells one of the F/Fs to hoof it back to the Chippy and alert him to the cargo.  F/F goes back, and tries to interrupt the safety talk (lecture?) the Chippy is involved in with the motorist..

Chippy reuses to be interrupted - says I'll get to you IN A MOMENT !!  When several of those pass, the F/F goes back and tells the Capt the Chppy is/was to busy.

Capt goes back down the road -  Interrupts, and simply states: "When you have time, if you check the van down the road there, you will see more marijuana than you have ever seen in your career.  Don't know who -or where- the driver is. There's no fire, so we/re out of here."

Astute fellow - next day local paper had an article about one of the largest pot busts in.....CHP history!

On 6/4/2017 at 7:05 AM, lump52 said:

I am a Vegas Teacher as well, also in the Northwest.  Taught at a school off North Decatur and still teaching in North LV.

I was taken back (way back?) by your Powerine comment.  I used to save up the coupons to get gas in my 55 Olds at the Powerine on Otis, then slip over to the Lucky Boys if I had any cash. 

Getting set for retirement after the next year. (Class sizes just getting too big!)

Maybe we will see each other on the road!

Where - are you at Centenial, Arbor, Legacy, Northwest tech, middle or grade school - hollar at me on interact.

Later,

Cory Ossana - Shadow Ridge Science

21 hours ago, Pappy Yokum said:

Payphones, dimes, quarters, etc.nice

DW and I were talking about this the other day.  Pay phones used to be in a nice "weatherproof" enclosure with bi-fold doors.  Mostly wood, with the glass "sandwiched" with (what appeared to be) chicken wire.

Then went to aluminum 'full size" as above.  

I was watching a T.V. show about custom made smoke houses. One person on there had a custom smoker / smoke house mad from a telephone booth, it was pretty nice looking and creative to boot.

1 hour ago, Vegas Teacher said:

I was watching a T.V. show about custom made smoke houses. One person on there had a custom smoker / smoke house mad from a telephone booth, it was pretty nice looking and creative to boot.

Could be kind of a bitch if you needed to make a call before the ribs were done though....just sayin

John

Southern Nevada

2008 Volvo 780, D13, I-Shift

2017 Keystone Fuzion 420 Toyhauler 

2017 Can-Am Maverick X3-RS

ALAKAZARCACODEFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMAMNMS
event.png

Archived