Comparing 730 vs 780 space/livability/Pros and Cons/your opinion

mrrrl2

I am still looking at both 730 and 780's. I gravitated to the 730 more for looks then anything else. But maybe could go either way. But if I get a 730 not sure if losing the extra space/height is really a big deal or maybe it is? Those that have the 780, did you consider a 730 but due to lower availability took the 780?

Those that have the 730 did you regret not getting the 780?

The one thing I do like about the 780 is the ability to have the upper bunk in the down position and still be able to use the workstation, upper bunk would be great for storage and/or sleeping while the other person maybe working at the workstation.

Other then that, what else?

I did quite a few searches but didn't really see an anything, just bits and pieces. I know this is more personal taste, etc. but just curious on opinions and Pros/Cons of each.

Let me know your thoughts and opinions.

Thanks

Here is my opinion... How many people will be in the truck while traveling? That is what mattered to me. Our longest pulls are 12'ish hours and most average are 4 to 6 hours. We have a 780 and it works perfect for us. My wife normally sits up front with me on the way out and sleeps on the bottom bunk on the way home. (weekend trips) While the kids (14-17yo boys) play playstation on the way out and may nap up top on the way home while my youngest sits up front with me.

I never looked at the 730's or even a 670 for the reasons above...

I wanted the workstation. Volvo didn't make many low roof trucks with the workstation back then so 780 it was. I didn't "need" the higher roof, but it sure makes it nice moving around back there.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

In my case the higher roofline of the 780 better lines up with the roofline on my 5er. Plus I LOVE the extra storage and the fact that the upper bunk can be down and still have the workstation usable. For other rigs, the 730 matches the roofline better, and that may be the deciding factor for them.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

I ordered my 730 new and could have ordered a 780....just didn't match the roofline of my RV. The bunk goes up and down very easily and has not been an issue for us and plenty of height to walk to the back. I also had plans from the beginning to install a in-motion satellite dome and the lower roof made for a better installation. I didn't notice but a few people that had been going for test drives at the WCR said they felt that the 730 had less cab rocking motion than the 780 they had just been in for a test drive. I think it just comes down to what you like best. IMO

Rick, I'm not surprised that a 730 rocks less.....it has less weight up high, so that makes sense. I personally have not noticed it, though.

I do like having the extra bunk in the down position in my 780 (in my case it HAS to be down...it is a fixed upper). Lots of storage for jackets, etc, and I keep my pillows and sleeping bags up there. Plus it has a better mattress than the foldable bunks.....all things to consider.... but in the end, as you say, it is as much personal preference as anything. Danielle likes the 730 a lot, but LOVES her extra storage. If she bought a new one it would likely be a 730.

See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com

We love our 780. Our 5er is 13'-4 high so they look good together. Storage is great and I like the standing room. Also allowed us to add a 7'-0 drom on the back for more storage capacity.

Ed & Teresa Haagsma

2016 New Horizons 45' custom. New Horizons ambassador

2009 Volvo 780 "Remington". Converted by RVHaulers

2015 Smart "Remora"

We love our 780. Our 5er is 13'-4 high so they look good together. Storage is great and I like the standing room. Also allowed us to add a 7'-0 drom on the back for more storage capacity.

We are the same height for the 5er as you are. We chose the 780 for that and also the booth, and we have 3 people and a dog in the cab which makes things close, but user friendly.

2007 Volvo VNL 780 "Vlad"

2008 Dutchmen Grand Junction 34QRL

I love my 730. I didn't want the high roof line, so I didn't even consider the 780's. On my truck/trailer, the roofline of the truck lines up perfectly with the roofline of the trailer. The A/C's on the roof of the trailer provide the extra height that puts it up near the 13'6" mark. So, on my trailer, and I suspect on most, the roofline of the 780 is higher than the roofline of most trailers.

d88149b9-7fe7-4032-8021-b8259d2d3d05-s.j

View High Resolution Photo

6dcb7f30-f3a9-44a1-b550-c444f9bbcaef-s.j

6b2a112e-77f0-444f-a66a-ac5cae5cdabb-s.j

"Willy Mammoth" - Volvo 730, Sold

Heartland Cyclone 4000 Toy Hauler
T-Minus 26 years and counting to being a full timer.

The picture above just has a bed. We do use the workstation quite a bit with breaks alongside the road and have meals sometimes. I also am 13' 3" high at the AC units the visual roofline on a 780 usually is higher than the roofline on most RV's. Here is a few pictures of the interior in our unit and roofline view.

20150618_112447.jpg

20140808_223323.jpg

20140808_223136.jpg

RickS and bmzero, thanks for the pictures, both great looking trucks. The picture I posted was just to show the cabinets replacing the upper bunk as an option. By replacing the upper bunk with cabinets you gain storage but will have to use the workstation for both table and bed, as the workstation/table is not really usable when the upper bunk is down if using the upper bunk for additional storage. In our case not a big issue (I think) as its only DW and I, well two small mutts too. So the extra storage gained by cabinets is a plus.

RickS and bmzero, thanks for the pictures, both great looking trucks. The picture I posted was just to show the cabinets replacing the upper bunk as an option. By replacing the upper bunk with cabinets you gain storage but will have to use the workstation for both table and bed, as the workstation/table is not really usable when the upper bunk is down if using the upper bunk for additional storage. In our case not a big issue (I think) as its only DW and I, well two small mutts too. So the extra storage gained by cabinets is a plus.

I am 6'2" and I am able to get in and out of the workstation in our 780 with the bunk down and sit underneath(bunk down) and still have more than enough head room.

2007 Volvo VNL 780 "Vlad"

2008 Dutchmen Grand Junction 34QRL

Miss Judy and I love our 780. It really comes in handy when we have to get from an event to the next one overnight. Sometimes we hire a driver to make the run. She sleeps in the bottom bunk and I hit the "loft" .Sleep like a baby too.

Denver and Ms Judy Geitgey

2006 VOLVO 780

41 ' Redwood

NTPA Event Announcer

dngeitgey@gmail.com

event.png

We got the "predecessor" 770. And as Jack says the upper bunk mattress is outstanding. How do I know I spent a lots of times on it. When we travel and in campgrounds at Rallies, when we took the truck only without the trailer.

Wife doesn't care to climb that rickety ladder, she gets the bottom bunk.

These are big ass trucks so why pretend that they "maybe are not so big" .

I find the workstation the most valuable asset of the truck interior. I use mine a fair amount, traveling or not. I cannot imagine not having a workstation. In the 780 it is easy access to the workstation even with the upper bunk down (mine is fixed). In the 730...not really possible to use with the bunk down, but that may not be an issue for most. That is the biggest difference - and storage difference. Other than that, they are the same.

www.jackdanmayer.com

I have a worst case 730/780 combination - the truck is a 730 disguised as a 780, with a faring that hits 13'6". We spend months in the Pacific northwest, a heavily forested region. I frequently need to use the 730 as a daily ride, especially for fishing. My wife uses our 4Runner. I have had a number of trees nibble at the fairing, so I plan to take it off when we return to Arizona before tree erosion removes it piece by piece.

The psychedelic orange paint is costly to match. Any suggestions on dealing with the marks the faring will leave on the roof?

John McLaughlin

2010 Volvo 730, D13, I-shift, singled and decked

2014 Lifestyle 38' Fifth Wheel

Archived