How do I get my new truck home?

13speed

3 minutes ago, Sculptor said:

A good idea, thanks. I can't think of a friend who does but I can ask a couple of people who might know.

You have lots of friends you've not yet met...............

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Sculptor said:

Well I have been reading the North Carolina regs off and on for 3 days.  I originally wanted to drive (still a prospective) new truck home.  

There will be a temporary tag issued by the seller.  A non-commercial dl will be required with, I believe, an air brake endorsement, for legal everyday driving.

On the first drive home the truck will still be a commercial truck.  I have found some info on getting it re-titled and have hopes this can be done without much agony but that will be later after getting it home.  Thank you to those who posted on the HDT info site for NC.

So far a couple of big gaps.  1. A commercial truck being transported.  2. Me the driver with only a class C driver license.  

I think I can handle the tests but the required 14 day waiting period may not work well for me.  Also have considered and priced having the truck delivered. Not ideal, but not out of the question.

Are you sure the seller will issue you a temporary tag? If it is a private seller not likely and not all states do a temporary tag.

The truck will not be commercial once you purchase it. The previous seller should remove all IFT tags and DOT numbers before you take possession. It is how you use the truck that makes it commercial. If you can, have the seller remove the commercial hitch so if questioned you can say there is no way to pull a commercial trailer with it. 

Your main issue is getting insurance. Once that is taken care of, I would take the chance and just drive the truck home, not stopping at any weigh stations unless directed by an LEO and not a lighted sign,  to pull over.

In MN you do not have to have a special licence to drive an HDT as long as it will be registered as a motor home. Do you think that another states LEO is going to know what your states requirements are? Not likely, so the only state you probably need to worry about is your own state and you hopefully know the back roads to avoid any issues there.

We made up an In Transit paper and taped it to the front window of our truck when we drove it home from Texas to MN via a stop in Indiana. We had no issues, but that doesn't mean your experience will be the same. It is all about what you are willing to chance, just like being over length and over width ( when hauling smart cars).

We drove carefully and did our best to not attract attention to us. Past some open weigh stations but passed a lot more closed up.

Dave

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

8 hours ago, rickeieio said:

You have lots of friends you've not yet met...............

7 hours ago, Av8r3400 said:

Time to make a new friend!

:DLOL:D

You guys are a great start, thanks for your help!

Kevin and June

2013 Volvo VNL 730    D13 Eco-Torque @ 425  Ratio 2.47 

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

Signature.jpegmKgUJbbl.jpg

7 hours ago, Star Dreamer said:

Are you sure the seller will issue you a temporary tag? If it is a private seller not likely and not all states do a temporary tag.

The truck will not be commercial once you purchase it. The previous seller should remove all IFT tags and DOT numbers before you take possession. It is how you use the truck that makes it commercial. If you can, have the seller remove the commercial hitch so if questioned you can say there is no way to pull a commercial trailer with it. 

Your main issue is getting insurance. Once that is taken care of, I would take the chance and just drive the truck home, not stopping at any weigh stations unless directed by an LEO and not a lighted sign,  to pull over.

In MN you do not have to have a special licence to drive an HDT as long as it will be registered as a motor home. Do you think that another states LEO is going to know what your states requirements are? Not likely, so the only state you probably need to worry about is your own state and you hopefully know the back roads to avoid any issues there.

We made up an In Transit paper and taped it to the front window of our truck when we drove it home from Texas to MN via a stop in Indiana. We had no issues, but that doesn't mean your experience will be the same. It is all about what you are willing to chance, just like being over length and over width ( when hauling smart cars).

We drove carefully and did our best to not attract attention to us. Past some open weigh stations but passed a lot more closed up.

Dave

Thank you Dave, I have begun the process of inspecting etc. so I didn't want to say too much, but the seller is a dealer and I have confirmed they will issue a temp tag.

The numbers etc. have been removed already and I will make sure the hitch will be too.  I am working the insurance angle.  One company here in NC says they can provide liability insurance.  A temporary solution at best.  I see many members are struggling with this.

Your point about not being a commercial truck anymore without the above, I had not thought of. Hope it's not a dumb question, but "directed by a LEO" would be a car with lights or an arm wave?  CB radio?  In my opinion NC has more than its share of backroads and they so conveniently change names and direction every couple of miles.  :rolleyes: Should not be a problem with that.  The signage will be on it also.

I really appreciate the helpful words of encouragement from you gentlemen, thank you very much!

Kevin and June

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

7 hours ago, Star Dreamer said:

The truck will not be commercial once you purchase it.

The truck will be commercial until it is registered as a non-commercial truck.  Until the registration is done, a check of the VIN will show a commercial truck and the LEO can expect a CDL to be driving it.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

On September 22, 2016 at 3:07 PM, U Long said:

".NON COMERICAL" " PERSONAL" " PRIVETLY OWNED" well.... just don't stop at a truck stop to get fuel. Smaller stations have fuel also and stay away from road tax questions. l...... You can pay your tax's when you get home. Good luck OU812

I meant to ask about this.  There are forms or questions at truck stops?

side note, I found out Miller insurance in Oregon doesn't insure in North Carolina.  So the website form said. So I'm still looking.

Kevin and June

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

14 hours ago, Sculptor said:

In some states, namely AZ, you may find that there are confusing tax rates for commercial vs. private vehicles, or for weeight classes. Go to the wrong pump and you could have an issue, if caught. People have been heavily fined for accidentally "avoiding" taxes.  LINK to AZ fuel taxes.

But in general you just go to the truck pumps and do your thing. There are no forms or other things to fill out. 

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

15 hours ago, Sculptor said:

side note, I found out Miller insurance in Oregon doesn't insure in North Carolina.  So the website form said. So I'm still looking.

I drove my Volvo 610 home from CA to GA about 2 months ago with the help of a friend that had his CDL and I had my Class E permit at the time from GA. My truck was already registered privately in CA and singled short with no commercial hitch on it, but I also had no bed or anything, just bare rails in the back. The previous owner let me keep his CA plates on the truck and have his registration. I had my own insurance on it, but his was still intact too. The truck did have the private RV not for hire signs on either side. My friend and I discussed skipping the scales, but decided just for the sake of simplicity and not possibly getting chased down, we would stop at open scales as we were fully legal and had nothing to worry about. Amazingly we only hit 4 scales, maybe 5 total, that were open on the entire 2k mile drive home, but we did drive through the night when most are closed. 3 or 4 of them were ones where the attendent is right by your driver's window as you pull through. Most trucks just get weighed as they come in and get waved by without stopping completely. We got stopped at each of these and asked for our registration papers. They were all wanting to verify the "Private RV not for hire" on the side of the truck. At each of these we handed over only our registration papers showing we were registered privately and each one told use we are good to go in usually less than 10-20 seconds. We specifically asked at the first one which was in AZ I think if we should continue to stop and she suggested yes because we didn't look like an RV being bobtail. She said it was a quick check to verify our registration at the window.

The last one that I was driving at was one of the fancier electroncically controlled ones. It had a sign before the weigh station saying all trucks must stop. The building was set back from the scales and you were directed by an electronic sign. This one held us on the scale for what seemed like 30 seconds or more than popped up a message to pull around and come inside with our paperwork. I went inside on this one with my registration & my insurance. There was only one guy at the computer and he spent a few minutes looking up stuff on my truck. He was the only one to actually verify that the registration was still in the previous owner's name, but I showed him my insurance and he was good. 

• We were never waived through at any scale we stopped at.
  • Most only wanted to see the registration papers for the truck. I voluntered the insurance in my name at the one that was scruitinizing the registration. 
  • Neither of us were ever asked for our license or anything else. 

We probably would have been fine skipping the scales, but our thoughts were we didn't want to push it. We had all our paperwork and we figured we'd get less scruitney at a 10 second stop at the scales vs 15-20mins being stopped on the side of the road by a DOT or state patrol. If I had been maybe grey area, I might have chanced skipping the scales and hoping for the best. I would sure make sure I had no DOT numbers and no commercial plate on though. 

BTW, I had totally forgot about the AZ fuel issue that Jacke mentioned and we had stopped in AZ for fuel. Thankfully we went to a truck stop pump so we were safe. I did notice truck stup fuel was higer in AZ compared to smaller Diesel pumps, but it's so much less hassle filling up with the larger nozzels and having that 2nd remote pump on the passenger side. Later on we would stop at a very small fuel station somewhere in TX/OK to top off only because the fuel was so dirt cheap (2.11/gal) I think at the time, and filled up. For that one, we had to flip the truck to fill up both sides. 

Dan (Class of 2017) - 2012 Ram 3500 & 2005 Alpenlite Valhalla 29RK
Contact me at rvsolarconsulting.com or Two Wheel Ramblin

Dan, my only comments about your post are that the "Private RV Not for Hire" signage is not required by any one. You don't see it on fancy motor homes, do ya? They weigh as much, if not more, than your HDT. It makes some people feel better, so if that is the case go for it, what the heck. But there will never be any signage on my truck, it isn't needed and IMHO it's ugly. 

And secondly, some states are using civilian inspectors in their weigh stations. I would rather explain the situation on the roadside to a law enforcement officer, than some civilian clerk. Bob-tail or not, I never stop at weigh stations. Even when they say "all trucks", because my Volvo is not a truck. It is a motor home...thank you Texas. 

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

15 hours ago, SWharton said:

Call FCIS in Iowa. 800-331-1520. They insured our MDT.

Called them today.  They will insure in NC.  Must be an HDT and fifth wheel camper combined.  Good to know.

Kevin and June

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

Maybe I'm lucky living in Wisconsin, but my regular agent insured my HDT (licensed as motorhome) with the same company as my camper and the rest of my vehicles - Auto Owners.

They wanted a couple of photos of the exterior, which I provided, still tandem with the commercial plate on the back.  Not a peep from the agent or insurance company.  I have the cards in my "book" already.  I plan to update the photos as soon as the singling process is complete.

Av8r3400
2012 Volvo VNL 730 D13 iShift & 2021 Grand Design Momentum 397TH

TEq81qV.jpg

I'd rather die trying to live - Than live trying not to die.   -Leonard Perry

4 hours ago, Big5er said:

Dan, my only comments about your post are that the "Private RV Not for Hire" signage is not required by any one. You don't see it on fancy motor homes, do ya? They weigh as much, if not more, than your HDT. It makes some people feel better, so if that is the case go for it, what the heck. But there will never be any signage on my truck, it isn't needed and IMHO it's ugly. 

And secondly, some states are using civilian inspectors in their weigh stations. I would rather explain the situation on the roadside to a law enforcement officer, than some civilian clerk. Bob-tail or not, I never stop at weigh stations. Even when they say "all trucks", because my Volvo is not a truck. It is a motor home...thank you Texas. 

I agree with you on the signs. I knew they are not required and I know they technically mean nothing legally. I agree they are kind of ugly, especially mine that have been on the truck for awhile. 

Interesting, did not know that civilians in the weigh stations. I don't plan to stop anymore now that my Volvo is officially registered as a motorhome, but we decided on the drive home it was a small inconvenience. I even have a copy of the title in it just for proof. 

Dan (Class of 2017) - 2012 Ram 3500 & 2005 Alpenlite Valhalla 29RK
Contact me at rvsolarconsulting.com or Two Wheel Ramblin

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if you have the Insurance covered yet. But we Called the General. And they told us no issue with covering it. If I had driven it home Sat. We only had to call, and it was ready. The lady had all the info, we had given her the Vin # and she only asked how long it was.

Good luck

Pete

event.png

Archived