5th wheel lube by Lucas

lappir

Where does it get applied? To the slide mechanism, slide walls, what? My owners manual specifically states to NOT lube the slide mechanism.

For those of us with a 5th wheel plate we either need to apply grease (VERY MESSY) or if we are lucky there are some Teflon discs that can be placed between the hitch plate and the pin plate on the trailer. I currently have to use the Grease and am hoping for something less messy.

Rod

I just happened to find it when I was looking for a place to buy some Power Steering stop leak for my car. Why you no tell me??

Rod

I guess I figured I was the only person still running a wet fifth wheel. My issue with the slick disc is the horror stories of getting the wrong thickness and having it come unhooked. So I stayed old school. Besides it keeps the jaws lubed.

I buy mine at Midwest Wheel-

I guess I figured I was the only person still running a wet fifth wheel. My issue with the slick disc is the horror stories of getting the wrong thickness and having it come unhooked. So I stayed old school. Besides it keeps the jaws lubed.

I buy mine at Midwest Wheel-

Well I have been using good old grease, the messy kind with the Spacecraft. I will look into the Lucas stuff more over the next few weeks before the trip to Florida. If it's so sticky how can it be less messy? Is it a spray on or a liquid? Couldn't tell from the description and the look of the bottle in the photo. Maybe I didn't read well enough.

Rod

On edit I looked at the photo on the initial post and can see the application method. Looks like you apply sparingly. Lucas Loves those cut off the tip applicators. I dislike them muchly, Always loosing the cap and then the stuff leaks all over. Not really a good container for a person on the move. I'm sure it works well in a stationary shop, garage or shelf.

RL

Years ago I had a Teflon disc get jammed in the jaws. What a fight to get unhooked.

Since then grease only. As soon as the hitch is unhooked and separated apply suran wrap to cover the grease. Then get the hitch cover out and install

Keep all moving parts greased on the hitch.

Safe Travels, Vern

I had a teflon pad installed on the hitch itself. Never slips or fall off and no need for messy grease.

That works really well if you have the space to insert it....not everyone does. On my trailer/truck combo that might work, and might not. But at least it would stay in place !! Also, you have to find someone to do it....or at least I would.

I had a teflon pad installed on the hitch itself. Never slips or fall off and no need for messy grease.

greaseless%20slider_zpsubdgxdhc.jpg

Just a suggestion ... shoot a little lube (silicon spray) on those jaws (the rust tells me there is no lube there) ... the friction between them and your pin shank will cause wear and looseness.

Archived