We got Stopped

Alie&Jim's Carrilite

Not a huge deal, but we were prepared for it!

Crossing into North Dakota today on I-94 from MN there was a construction zone that dropped speed to 55mph. We slowed down to 55mph with not much traffic around us, maybe 3 cars total. Hit mile marker 4 and there was a NDHP sitting in his Tahoe in the median. I glanced as we passed and he glanced back.... :o

Out he comes :(

Pulled over and got the BOOK out along with my license. He does his call in and approaches on the passenger side, does the normal greeting, and asked if I knew how much tint was on my side windows. Having just had the windows tinted in NC, I said I believed they were 35%, and had the receipt from the shop that did them in the book as well.

The officer pulled out his little light meter and said "Nope, you're at 45%"..... evidently the windows had a little factory tint to them, not noticeable, but enough.

He then asked to see license and registration, handed him those, he asked where was my CDL. Explained that according to South Dakota I didn't need one. That set off an interesting debate. Not ugly, not right, wrong, or uncordial. I asked him to turn to page 3-4 in our binder and that would explain the SD requirements. He asked to take the book back to his Tahoe, said OK, he left. 10 LONG minutes later he returned, handed us the binder back, said he learned something new today by looking up the SD commercial and non-commercial requirements using an HDT as a recreational vehicle. At this point, I thought we were off the hook, BUT

Out came this little slip of paper with an improper equipment citation.... $20 worth.

He did say that 35% was legal if applied on clear glass, so I may get 20% put on to still help block some sunlight.

Keep your binder / book up to date, organized with the order of items likely to be asked for first.

Registration, Insurance, state statue's concerning requirements for HDT's / motorhomes, etc. Handing him the binder with all the pertinent info I believe went a long way in not having any issues.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've always preached the benefit of having an updated and presentable book. The internet is an amazing tool...and you info gave him a place to start. Glad you got off that easy Jim.

Maybe I should bring my tint meter to the next rally I attend? :)

PS: Jim, I sent you a PM.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

So was that a ND rule on window tint?

Every state has their own laws about window tint.

2014 smart Fortwo

So was that a ND rule on window tint?

There is 2 standards according to this officer

1- that covers passenger vehicles

1- that covers commercial vehicles

So what is our truck? It's a private motorhome,

......BUT.....

If it looks like a truck, sounds like a truck, then most assume its a truck.

-"What tint is allowed on my windows?

Front windshield – at least 70% light transmittance (no more than 30% tint)

Other windows – at least 50% light transmittance (no more than 50% tint)"

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Huh, every state is different. NC has a 35% visible light transmission requirement for the front windshield upper band (the rest cannot be tinted) but all the other windows on a motorhome are exempt and you can do limo tint if you want (or heck even paint them black)

fuso.jpg.b3c0d8d35ed0a147efc1900170d393e5.jpg

Huh, every state is different. NC has a 35% visible light transmission requirement for the front windshield upper band (the rest cannot be tinted) but all the other windows on a motorhome are exempt and you can do limo tint if you want (or heck even paint them black)

Here is where is gets more complicated,

We are South Dakota residents, licensed, titled, insured.

We had the tint done in NC,

We were stopped in North Dakota. 3 states, 3 sets of rules.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

What was the initial stop for? Speed? Surely it wasn't for window tint that close to the limit...

I guess you'll just have to drive ND with the windows down. Hope you aren't there in the dead of winter!

45' 2004 Showhauler -- VNL300, ISX, FreedomLine -- RVnerds.com -- where I've started to write about what I'm up to

Headlight and Fog Light Upgrades http://deepspacelighting.com

What was the initial stop for? Speed? Surely it wasn't for window tint that close to the limit...

I guess you'll just have to drive ND with the windows down. Hope you aren't there in the dead of winter!

Initial was for the window tint. He walked to the truck with the meter. We should be outa here in late Oct, not staying for the winter.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Bought my last dually in Louisiana. Had no mud flaps. Took to Texas to get inspected and surprise, no inspection without flaps. Louisiana don't require that either. This thing could get you a ticket in another state.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

What a non-resident's operating privilege extends to varies all over the map. Conventional wisdom is to assume it's just your registration, driver's license, and nothing else, and that's certainly the conservative assumption. But there are reciprocal privileges beyond that for things like window tint, but you can't make assumptions on the subject. There's also an argument that traveling through a state (not to it) is an action affecting interstate commerce, and subject to federal, not state, regulation--similar to the transport of firearms, specifically protected by federal statute. Note that transporting a firearm in a manner protected by federal law can still leave you in jail in certain states.

The dormant commerce clause is a lot weaker than it used to be in many respects, and in most cases it's drug traffickers who make the fourth amendment cases challenging stops for vehicle equipment violations. I imagine it would be tough for a drug transporter to prove that there was no intention to stop in, say, Texas by showing that a delivery had to be made to New Jersey, without also showing an intent to distribute the drugs. I guess every drug runner probably has a sick grandma on call a few places...

In looking up the tint law in ND, I happened to notice a peculiarity in the speeding fines, and I had to take a closer look. There are definitely some bargains to be had--you can get a lower fine in a 50 or 55 mph zone than you would going the same speed in a 60 or 65 mph zone for any speed 86 or above ($73 in 50, $58 in 55, $100 in 60, and and $75 in 65 mph zones). From 66 mph and up, the fine is less if the speed limit is 55 than if it's 60, and from 100 mph on up, doing it in a 55 mph zone is only $5 more than doing it in a 75 mph zone. Have to think there was a legislator not too good at math... (Of course, ND may suspend your nonresident privileges for 7 days, and your home state might take action as well)

45' 2004 Showhauler -- VNL300, ISX, FreedomLine -- RVnerds.com -- where I've started to write about what I'm up to

Headlight and Fog Light Upgrades http://deepspacelighting.com

Thanks for the info on this - I am a SD resident, and we are looking at HDT, for the future 5th, especially after my DW discovered what we were looking at paying and what we would get for an F350 or more... There wasn't too much argument, and she likes trucks & driving, so it made the option even easier.

Just got to get some things paid off and then I can start hunting.

I will start a book for it after reading this.

What a non-resident's operating privilege extends to varies all over the map. Conventional wisdom is to assume it's just your registration, driver's license, and nothing else, and that's certainly the conservative assumption. But there are reciprocal privileges beyond that for things like window tint, but you can't make assumptions on the subject. There's also an argument that traveling through a state (not to it) is an action affecting interstate commerce, and subject to federal, not state, regulation--similar to the transport of firearms, specifically protected by federal statute.

Dave, the only nationwide VEHICLE reciprocity is for licensing and registration. If registration wasn't reciprocal, then we would all look like the 18 wheelers of old, with 50 license plates on the front of our trucks. But there is no nationwide tint reciprocity and driving on the roads in my state, whether to or through, makes you subject to the laws of my state. "Gee I was speeding but I'm only going through the state and not stopping so state law doesn't apply.". Really? So you can speed and run stop signs with impunity because you are only passing through? You don't have to use turn signals or turn on your headlights because you are from out of state? We all know that length laws differ from state to state, just like everything else. Come on. If you want to use the roads in a state, then you are subject to their laws.

2014 smart Fortwo

I got stopped on the way home from the ECR two years ago, I was questioned about having a LLC, and the officer stated that it looked like I was transporting a new DRV, I did not have a book at the time and still do not, but I need to complete one, I explained that I had the truck and trailer in an LLC because of a bad divorce, and wanted to keep this house incase something happened, at that time a large bolt of lightning flashed and a very loud clap of thunder struck, he didn't want to get wet and let us go.

That being said, I need to get the book set up, and in the HDT soon, as I will hopefully be heading to Indiana the first of the month to get my front jacks replaced again, and it will look like I will be delivering a new unit to Kansas, little dogs and all.

Roger

GCTaaehl.jpg

Not a huge deal, but we were prepared for it!

Crossing into North Dakota today on I-94 from MN there was a construction zone that dropped speed to 55mph. We slowed down to 55mph with not much traffic around us, maybe 3 cars total. Hit mile marker 4 and there was a NDHP sitting in his Tahoe in the median. I glanced as we passed and he glanced back.... :o

Out he comes :(

Pulled over and got the BOOK out along with my license. He does his call in and approaches on the passenger side, does the normal greeting, and asked if I knew how much tint was on my side windows. Having just had the windows tinted in NC, I said I believed they were 35%, and had the receipt from the shop that did them in the book as well.

The officer pulled out his little light meter and said "Nope, you're at 45%"..... evidently the windows had a little factory tint to them, not noticeable, but enough.

He then asked to see license and registration, handed him those, he asked where was my CDL. Explained that according to South Dakota I didn't need one. That set off an interesting debate. Not ugly, not right, wrong, or uncordial. I asked him to turn to page 3-4 in our binder and that would explain the SD requirements. He asked to take the book back to his Tahoe, said OK, he left. 10 LONG minutes later he returned, handed us the binder back, said he learned something new today by looking up the SD commercial and non-commercial requirements using an HDT as a recreational vehicle. At this point, I thought we were off the hook, BUT

Out came this little slip of paper with an improper equipment citation.... $20 worth.

He did say that 35% was legal if applied on clear glass, so I may get 20% put on to still help block some sunlight.

Keep your binder / book up to date, organized with the order of items likely to be asked for first.

Registration, Insurance, state statue's concerning requirements for HDT's / motorhomes, etc. Handing him the binder with all the pertinent info I believe went a long way in not having any issues.

Hi Jim,

I am glad you were prepared. Can you please explain what all information that you have in your binder. I am especially interested in the part that explains HDT as a recreational vehicle. Where does someone find this info for there own state ? It sounds like this subject of having a binder for their truck could make for a subject at a seminar for a rally or two.

Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

Sounds like a really bored police officer to me that wanted something to do but not to the point of getting dirty. As a retired trucker with over 3 million safe miles logged I have been through MANY inspections both in weigh stations AND on the roadside. I never had an officer say anything about something as trivial as window tint. They were checking for things more important that could actually be a safety issue.

Fulltiming since September 1, 2010

2012 Ford F-350 PSD SRW Lariat Crew Cab

2012 Montana 3585SA

Jim, interesting post....thank you. I do have my book and this is a great reminder to keep it updated and complete. It seems that 20 bucks is a bargain for any kind of fine now days. I hope your stay in ND goes well. Be safe. Charlie

Don't ever tell a soldier that he doesn't understand the cost of war.

Sounds like a really bored police officer to me that wanted something to do but not to the point of getting dirty. As a retired trucker with over 3 million safe miles logged I have been through MANY inspections both in weigh stations AND on the roadside. I never had an officer say anything about something as trivial as window tint. They were checking for things more important that could actually be a safety issue.

I was written a warning for window tint in a MO weigh station in 1993, but since it was a new (to me) truck, it was only a warning, not a ticket. If I'm recalling it correctly, the tint was the only reason they pulled me around back. I removed the tint the next day. I see no reason to be out of compliance in any state I'll be traveling through.

Al-

Send Big5'er, Phil, a pm. Basic stuff like registration, insurance documents, then the state statutes that say what an RV is in your state, Why you don't need a CDL to drive the truck, etc. In your state drivers license material, there should be the section about an RV or private truck, not for hire, and what's required for your license. I have all that highlighted, along with the South Dakota section about even though we are over 26000lb gross combined weight, we are a RV.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Jim thanks for posting your experience, I Carry all my information but it is time to get it re-organized in a binder.

And just my opinion guys but if we're going to push the law with window tint or anything else we should do it in our pick ups not in the truck! it's already a target vehicle. many states still don't know how to handle us. Let's not make it harder.

And trust me I REALLY want my windows tinted it would look cool.

Jim thanks for posting your experience, I Carry all my information but it is time to get it re-organized in a binder.

And just my opinion guys but if we're going to push the law with window tint or anything else we should do it in our pick ups not in the truck! it's already a target vehicle. many states still don't know how to handle us. Let's not make it harder.

And trust me I REALLY want my windows tinted it would look cool.

The truck would get so hot in New Orleans and eastern NC this past summer that I was searching for easy solutions. Parking with the windshield pointed away from the sun helped, but even the side windows allowed the truck to heat. Even running the sleeper AC and Dash AC, it would take 15-20 minutes to get comfortable. Parking under trees helped as well, except for the broken CB antenna :rolleyes: .

Just paid the ticket online, learning experience cost $20.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Al-

Send Big5'er, Phil, a pm. Basic stuff like registration, insurance documents, then the state statutes that say what an RV is in your state, Why you don't need a CDL to drive the truck, etc. In your state drivers license material, there should be the section about an RV or private truck, not for hire, and what's required for your license. I have all that highlighted, along with the South Dakota section about even though we are over 26000lb gross combined weight, we are a RV.

This is good information for us who are new to the "sport". The wife and a I will be putting one of these together. If there is any more information that people think we should include, please let us know.

Thank you, Shane

2007 Volvo VNL 780 "Vlad"

2008 Dutchmen Grand Junction 34QRL

This is good information for us who are new to the "sport". The wife and a I will be putting one of these together. If there is any more information that people think we should include, please let us know.

Thank you, Shane

http://www.hhrvresource.com/

If you look under "The HDT Decision" , there are state guidelines and drivers license requirements by state.

The resource guide has tons of info in it.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Archived