We got Stopped

Alie&Jim's Carrilite

I asked my son about where to pull over. His answer, "I will wait to turn on the blue lights and/or siren until there is a safe place to pull off the road. Sometimes when I need to pursue a speeder and need my emergency lights to catch up I will turn them off once the suspect vehicle is in sight until I know there is a safe pull off ahead and then turn the lights/siren back on again. In situations where a vehicle pulls off in an unsafe spot like right at the edge of traffic, I have used my PA to tell the vehicle to move ahead until we can pull off the road safely. Any of these actions are based on current location and road conditions/traffic/weather. Most all truckers know where and how to get off the road safely, unfortunately automobile drivers usually don't know what to do. I've even had some come to a dead stop in their lane! "

300.JPG.c2a50e50210ede7534c4c440c7f9aa80.JPG

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

"The Great White" - 2004 Volvo VNL670, D12, 10-speed, converted to single axle pulling a Keystone Cambridge 5th wheel, 40', 4 slides and about 19,000# with empty tanks.

ARS - WB4BZX, Electrical Engineer, Master Electrician, D.Ed., Professor Emeritus - Happily Retired!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We were lucky in that I-94 in that area has a wide concrete shoulder and a gravel area beyond that. I was able to pull 8-10' off the road and still be level with right side wheels on the gravel. The patrolman parked on the concrete area where I could see the entire vehicle in my drivers side mirrors. But he walked to the passenger side for the "Interview".

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

I'm just surprised that the LEO would issue a ticket when you had a receipt showing 35% tint, which (by itself) would have been legal. As much as I'd take full responsibility for the condition of my vehicle, I'd like to think that I'm not expected to know that the factory glass was pre-tinted (unless the sticker showed "Privacy Glass" or similar as an option). By any chance, was there a corner of tint you could have peeled back so the officer could get a reading of the bare glass? I'd be highly curious if the percentages are purely additive (in other words, was the existing glass showing a natural 10% tint), or do they add together in odd ways?

There wasn't an edge that could be peeled back easily. Yesterday removing it proved that the application job was excellent. It does add, one layer on another. Today in the bright sunshine, with a window half way up, there is a light color to the window. Not much, kinda like the green coke bottle color but barely discernable.

I guess it is the factory window but could even be an aftermarket window. I have no idea if it's original to the truck or not.

I

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Archived