balancing rear duals

bags

I have found myself in the unenviable position of have to replace my 7 year old (40 k mileage) rear duals. I have a couple of questions I need some help with.

1. should I balance my duals?

2. If so should I spend the 25 bucks a tire for the bags or go w/weights?

3. I use pressure pro and have a device (the name escapes me) that fills both tires from one common stem.

The price for Kelly Springfield is about the same (1691.00 drive out) as my Firestone tires were 7 years ago after trade in on 3 tires.

Any and all help appreciated.

Thanks

JB

John and Michal Bagley 1999 Volvo 610 the 'Millennium Falcon', 400 hp ISM, Autoshift Gen 2, single axel w/steel bed, Pressure Pro, VMSPC, Trailer Saver Air Hitch, 3 bags, 38 foot Royals International, and our 3 dogs.

Most OTR truckers don't. Saying that I did but later took out the liquid balance and now have Centramatics all around. So you're gonna get different opinions. If you do balance AND use tire pressure monitors don't use liquid or powder balance. Also was cautioned by TST against bead balance because they eventually degrade to small particles that can mess with the sensors. If you do use beads get tire stems with screens to catch those particles (although lot of people don't use screened stems and beads and have apparently had no problems). So if they can use weights may be your best option.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Brunsje,

I am not an authority by any means but would think the amount of weight we carry on our trucks versus an OTR truck can influence the feel. With our less weight suspect we would feel an out of balance situation more readily. Opinions?

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Brunsje,

I am not an authority by any means but would think the amount of weight we carry on our trucks versus an OTR truck can influence the feel. With our less weight suspect we would feel an out of balance situation more readily. Opinions?

Must say I agree with you on that Carl. And as I'm driving my work truck last night and for the next couple hours I can feel they are out of balance.

Now the extra vibration is no big deal on my 48 ft van trailer full of paint, but I really don't think I'd like it on my 5th wheel trailer.

IMO it is best to balance them - and with weights. Also check them for out of round....most decent tire places can do that.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

I still drive my 2001 Ford Excursion. Came with Firestones that were slicker than snot in the rain, so I tossed them after 40k (and only half worn) for Michelin. Had to go from load range D (aka 8-ply) to load range E (aka 10-ply, so theoretically stiffer), yet the ride got significantly better. Took the "bus" to a good tire shop who trued (shaved to make them round) and balanced the tires, then aligned everything. The improvement after true/balance/align was far more than the improvement in switching from Firestone to Michelin, and a lot cheaper too.

I went with the plastic beads. I asked the tire guy and he said he had not noticed any dust and that was what they sold most. I took two different runs at 70 mph up 25 and they ran real smooth. I had forgot how enjoyable it is to run down the open road with all that power and no trailer. 50 miles of bliss and good rock and roll!!! I highly recommend it (the ride). Now if they don't stop up my sensors.

Thanks for all the input.

JB

John and Michal Bagley 1999 Volvo 610 the 'Millennium Falcon', 400 hp ISM, Autoshift Gen 2, single axel w/steel bed, Pressure Pro, VMSPC, Trailer Saver Air Hitch, 3 bags, 38 foot Royals International, and our 3 dogs.

John,

I mentioned the bead breakdown only to pass along what I was told. My opinion is that I suspect you won't have an issue with your sensors.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

John,

I mentioned the bead breakdown only to pass along what I was told. My opinion is that I suspect you won't have an issue with your sensors.

Thanks

JB

Just a thought -

IMO any vehicle I drive I want to be as smooth as possible. Vibration in the steering wheel, pedal, seat, etc is ultimately a health hazard. Holding a steering wheel that vibrates for an extended period of time can cause numbness in hands, as well as causing other driver fatigue issues. When an object that rotates is out of balance, everything that it connects to vibrates / shakes leading to failure of materials. Our road infrastructure takes enough of a toll on our vehicles by itself without having self-induced parts failure.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

John,

I ran beads in my Jeep for many years.They helped immensely with the large offroad tires. I also ran tire monitors on the valve stems and had no issues. For what it is worth.

See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com

I ran beads in my Jeep for many years.They helped immensely with the large offroad tires. I also ran tire monitors on the valve stems and had no issues. For what it is worth.

Jack,

Were they the Dynabeads? I have used them in my motorcycle for years until my latest Yamaha. Put a tire on the back 15000 miles ago and didn't balance it. Very smooth still. I had "Equal" tossed into my drive tires when I replaced them a few years ago and it seems to work well. Had the 4 tires spin balanced, the outer bead broke and put beads in bags in the tires of my VX a few years ago and thought I made a HUGE mistake. Took forever it seemed for the bag to break and finally allow the beads to distribute. Haven't taken the tire off the rim since so don't know what the beads look like now. One day I will show photos.

My Brother owns a small tire shop in S.E. Iowa. Does a LOT of tire work for the local truck drivers. Hardly any of them use any type of balancing on anything other than steer tires. He also has customers with the Super Singles and they are very happy with them. I'm a couple years from trading in my Steers and then a couple more for the drives. Want to just do about 5 years on them and then let someone wear them out. Hopefully we will both be happy with the prices.

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

I balance everything the spins and I'd recommend weights . The Centramatics seem to work great for us too.

I believe that anything that moves in a circle should be balanced if it can be done. Just my opinion. 2X on the Centramatics.

Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

Jack,

Were they the Dynabeads?

Rod

Yes. They did not seem to impact the Pressurepro at all.

www.jackdanmayer.com

Yes. They did not seem to impact the Pressurepro at all.

I liked the Dynabeads the best for my motorcycles, but Little Brother used "Equal" in my truck tires. Sort of hard to find someone with the Dynabeads and I try not order them online. Had a guy in South Florida, but I don't get down there much anymore.

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

I liked the Dynabeads the best for my motorcycles, but Little Brother used "Equal" in my truck tires. Sort of hard to find someone with the Dynabeads and I try not order them online. Had a guy in South Florida, but I don't get down there much anymore.

Rod

I've used regular BBs . That requires breaking the tire bead , but , once and done .

Just to show what those BBs looked like after 20K miles :

Left side = out of the box Right side = 20K polished

HPIM1276.jpg

Goes around , comes around .

I used dynabeads in my Dodge's steer tires and they broke down into a really fine dust. Don't know if that would mess with TPMS, but it did make the valve cores leak after some time. They have been fine in the motorcycle though. I have also used Magnum beads.

I have since given up on any type of bead or internal balance in the Dodge because I have just had too many strange incurable intermittent vibration issues and since I just vent back to weights, the problems are gone.

On the Pete, IDK if the Centramatics work or if the tires are just smooth without any weights. They were on the truck when I bought it so I run them......

1999 Peterbilt 385 C12 430/1650 13spd

2006 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4

2010 Hitchhiker Champagne 36 LKRSB

From liquid balance to Centramatics, big improvement.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

Archived