Verizon to start offering unlimited data and rollover data plans

It is about time. I've been with Verizon for years but recently have been actively looking for an alternative. It is ridiculous that they charge so much for their data service and charge you exorbitant fees for any overage! Rollover should be the norm not the exception. I'll be looking for the details of any possible changes.

Trailer: Montana 5th wheel, model 3582Rl, model year 2012

Truck: Ford 450 PSD Super Duty, 2002 Crew Cab, Long bed, 4:88 rear end, last of the 7.3 engines, Automatic Transmission.

Unless I'm missing it, it states unlimited calls to Canada and Mexico. It also suggests rollover of unused data. I don't see 'unlimited data'.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

I don't see unlimited unless it is throttled. The plans are still more than I pay for my grandfathered unlimited.

We won't know for sure what they are offering till they actually offer it - probably tomorrow. I can't imagine them offering something better than the grandfathered plan - after all, if they wanted to continue offering full unlimited they would already be doing it.

Their new approach is to let people pay for what they want, like 18 gigs. Then, if you reach your limit, instead of cutting you off or charging a crazy high price for additional data, they will throttle you down to a miserably show speed.

However, they are going to allow roll over of data for one month. If a person doesn't use all the data they paid for, it is rolled into the new month. If a person makes a good faith effort to purchase the data they think they will really need, they should do okay.

Also, the new plan will allow data use in Canada and Mexico. That would be huge for people traveling to and from Alaska.

Again, though, I'm fully expecting to stay put with my grandfathered plan.

Our "Here and There" Blog

2005 Safari Cheetah Motorhome

It's not unlimited data they're going to offer. If you're on The Verizon Plan with the largest data package, you can choose to have your data throttled when you get close to your limit so as not to go over as easily. If not on the XL package, then you can get this feature for $5 per month. It's basically just self throttling.

As for rollover, it is like AT&T, it only rolls over to the next month. The next month you use your allotment first, then any rolled over data from the previous month. If not used in the next month, it disappears.

It's a start in helping customers to manage data, but nothing radically different.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

Howdy!

We switched a few months ago from Verizon to a AT&T bundle plan with DTV and unlimited data on our smartphones and tablets. They say they can throttle you after 20 plus gb's. We have not seen this we've been using in excess of 80 to over 100 gb's plus a month. We stream a lot of Netfix and Amazon Prime and so far this new plan with AT&T unlimited is working. We have also reduced our Cellular and DTV bills combined.

"Happy Trails"

Chiefneon

"Class of 2007 Fulltimer's"

Gary & karen

Smoochie & Michaela (fur babies)

2018 Chevorlet 3500 HD/LTZ 2L Custom Hauler

2014 Heartland Cyclone 4000

2016 Smart Car Prime

Howdy!

Dave, our connection while traveling into the northeast has been great with AT&T. Our Verizon MiFi has been lacking. We mainlyuse tablets but do have a laptop we use now and then. We have kept our old grandfathered Verizon MiFi 3G and will until Verizon completely does away with 3G which I understand is coming.

Dave, we are also going to get one of the Maximum Sign boosters which should take care of the signal problem in Livingston when we return.

"Happy Trails"

Chiefneon

"Class of 2007 Fulltimer's"

Gary & karen

Smoochie & Michaela (fur babies)

2018 Chevorlet 3500 HD/LTZ 2L Custom Hauler

2014 Heartland Cyclone 4000

2016 Smart Car Prime

Thanks for the link, but I guess Verizon will say what they want to say when they want to say it. Cnet is a good source, but things could change as nothing has come from the horses mouth.

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

Thanks for the link, but I guess Verizon will say what they want to say when they want to say it. Cnet is a good source, but things could change as nothing has come from the horses mouth.

According to the Cnet article, Verizon is supposed to have a news conference announcing the new plan today, Wednesday, July 6. Whether or not the changes will hit their website today, too, I don't know.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

We've been tracking this since the rumors started showing up last week. We have one post up, and are waiting the final announcements (we've already seen the official brochure show up in Verizon offices and have been analyzing the details). We do know it will be a new plan that you have to opt into (and you will lose any promotional data you might have), and old plans will be grandfathered in.

We're preparing an article to go up that will compare the new plans and features to other promotional plans that folks might have (such as Millenicom and old Double Data Deals) to help you figure out if it's worthwhile shifting to the new plans or not.

Here's what we know so far: Verizon Promises “Fireworks” – Rumors Point To Rollover Data, Canadian Roaming

Now we wait :)

- Cherie

Cherie & Chris (and Kiki *meow*) / Personal Blog: Technomadia.com
Technomads (technology enabled nomads) since 2006

Our Nomadic Fleet:
RVs:
Zephyr: 1961 GM 4106 bus conversion / Blooper: 2020.5 Winnebago Travato GL Boat: Y-Not: 1999 Bayliner 4788

Hosts of the Mobile Internet Resource Center
Mobile Internet Information for RVers, Cruisers & Nomads
Proud to be recognized as Escapee's Commercial Partners #773 / Escapees RVOU Instructors

Verizon has made their press announcement, and CNET has run their article with the details.

We've analyzed it specifically for how it applies to RVers, particularly those on old promotional plans (Millenicom, Double Data, etc) to see if it's worthwhile switching:

Verizon Introduces the ‘New’ Verizon Plan – Raises Prices, Adds Data & Features

Cherie & Chris (and Kiki *meow*) / Personal Blog: Technomadia.com
Technomads (technology enabled nomads) since 2006

Our Nomadic Fleet:
RVs:
Zephyr: 1961 GM 4106 bus conversion / Blooper: 2020.5 Winnebago Travato GL Boat: Y-Not: 1999 Bayliner 4788

Hosts of the Mobile Internet Resource Center
Mobile Internet Information for RVers, Cruisers & Nomads
Proud to be recognized as Escapee's Commercial Partners #773 / Escapees RVOU Instructors

Verizon has made their press announcement, and CNET has run their article with the details.

We've analyzed it specifically for how it applies to RVers, particularly those on old promotional plans (Millenicom, Double Data, etc) to see if it's worthwhile switching:

Good work! You are staying on top of things nicely. Since I'm on a grandfathered unlimited plan I have no plans of changing but it is interesting watching how all this is progressing.

We have been expecting that. We are on the MORE EVERY UNL TLK&TXT 40GB plan two smart phones and the Verizon hot spot.We get

close to 40GB at times but have never gone over. We will wait to see if this will be any advantage to us. We also use Pandora radio.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

Thanks for the info. For us, we are better off keeping our current Verizon plan. I was really hoping they would come out with a real unlimited data plan. I would have been willing to pay for that.

Mike and Retha Hopkins

2014 Fleetwood Discovery 40G

More data, on your terms.Get extra data in every plan size and Carryover unused data to keep it for another month.........So what does that mean???? sounds like it only rolls over for one month and is not accumulative. Example with 6 days left on my month of 40 GB date we have used 11 Gb we are at the S&B and also have a DSL line. So say we use 15 Gb this month it sounds like we would roll over 25 GB next month for a total of 45GB for that single month only.

When on the road or at our winter residence we average about 30GB per month so we would roll over 10Gb every month so in effect we are buying another 10Gb.

Don't know if that is worth it. Is that how the other roll over plans work.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

More data, on your terms.Get extra data in every plan size and Carryover unused data to keep it for another month.........So what does that mean???? sounds like it only rolls over for one month and is not accumulative. Example with 6 days left on my month of 40 GB date we have used 11 Gb we are at the S&B and also have a DSL line. So say we use 15 Gb this month it sounds like we would roll over 25 GB next month for a total of 45GB for that single month only.

When on the road or at our winter residence we average about 30GB per month so we would roll over 10Gb every month so in effect we are buying another 10Gb.

Don't know if that is worth it. Is that how the other roll over plans work.

Here's how it works. Say you have 24GB of data. In January you use 20GB. In February with one week left, you hit your 24GB cap. At that time, you start using your unused 4 GB of data from January. At the end of January, even if you still have 1GB left, it is lost, because the rollover only lives for one month. You would start March back on the 24 GB on your plan.

On the other hand, if you don't have any data left over, when you use up all your data for that month, they will throttle you back to data in the 2G range - enough to do email, but you won't be streaming any video, that's for sure!

"because the rollover only lives for one month. "That is what I thought. We will have to run some numbers to see if it is worth it. I understand the throttle back. We have never gone over our 40GB allowance. We would get about a 10 Gb rollover every month. It could come in handy for instance when we do our GPS upgrades on both GPS.We normally do that when here at the S&B with the DSL line. We do minimal streaming video.

We are in no hurry and we leave on our summer travel in a couple of days and will be out for a extended time.

Thanks for the information.

One thing to watch for is if you have promotional or bonus data. When we bought a new iPhone last year, we received 1GB of bonus data per month for the life of the device. When you upgrade to the new plan you lose this promotional data.

Also, the rollover is much more restrictive than T-Mobile, which allows you to forward unused rollover data every month. And, although you can phone free TO Mexico and Canada from the USA, you can't call free FROM Mexico and Canada.

I have been running T-Mobile and Verizon hot spot side by side for 4 months now. This week is the very first time that T-Mobile did not work at our location, but Verizon did. We are currently in Creede, CO.

== John

2015 Entegra Aspire 44B diesel pusher with 2017 GMC Acadia Denali toad
Web site, albums, blog and more here

Archived