Trailer brake, air/ electric controler up grade.

OU812

Wanting to replace a 15 year old, air/ elect, dash brake controller. Have a three axel trailer, 7000 lb. axels, all brake, behind 98 Volvo 610. What are the pro/ con, make model, of a controller that I need, that will do the job? I looked in the HDT Guide and couldn't find what I need, I'm sure that it is in there. Wanting a controller that will hold last for the long hall. Thank you OU812

It is dirt simple in operation.

Amen to that. It just works. Nothing fancy, nothing to look at or fiddle with. It won't hold hands with you like some of the fancier more expensive ones, but it will make your trailer stop.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Mine works but not smoothly.

Hard to blame the controller for one side of your trailer brakes working better than the other when you have electric brakes that all feed off the same wire. Re-wire your brakes and try again. That is why I will never own a trailer with electric drum brakes. Who ever invented them and that silly little magnet must have been some sort of sadist.

2014 smart Fortwo

Hard to blame the controller for one side of your trailer brakes working better than the other when you have electric brakes that all feed off the same wire. Re-wire your brakes and try again. That is why I will never own a trailer with electric drum brakes. Who ever invented them and that silly little magnet must have been some sort of sadist.

That is a future upgrade. The jerk when first applied is what I referring too about smoothness.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

Pure electronic so your hand air brake will not work.

Well that sucks. I use my hand brake when hitching and un-hitching. That just makes it too easy.

2014 smart Fortwo

OU812, are you using an older Kelsey Hayes unit ? If it works at all, I would be interested in acquiring it from you if you replace it. my Hayes does a good job even though it is old technology. I can see some of the attraction of the more sophisticated units, though. Be safe, Charlie

Don't ever tell a soldier that he doesn't understand the cost of war.

You do realize the DirecLink has a manual button to apply the trailer brakes?

And not all HDTs have a trailer brake lever.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

You do realize the DirecLink has a manual button to apply the trailer brakes?

No I didn't...but that really big lever sure is easy to get to.

And not all HDTs have a trailer brake lever.

Yeah, but mine does

2014 smart Fortwo

So do you guys get trans temp on your DirecLink controllers like the pickup (OBD) ones do? If you had a list of 'gauges' you wanted to display on yours, what would they be?

**Keep in mind this wouldn't be a place for any gauge, you'd get a SilverLeaf or ScanGauge for that. It would be more in the frame of reference of "what truck info do I need in order to make an accurate manual application". Or "what truck info do I need to tell me I need to think about making a manual application". Or what info do I need in general because in this situation I have to look at my controller and can't look at it and the truck gauge at the same time. If that makes sense....

So do you guys get trans temp on your DirecLink controllers like the pickup (OBD) ones do? If you had a list of 'gauges' you wanted to display on yours, what would they be?

**Keep in mind this wouldn't be a place for any gauge, you'd get a SilverLeaf or ScanGauge for that. It would be more in the frame of reference of "what truck info do I need in order to make an accurate manual application". Or "what truck info do I need to tell me I need to think about making a manual application". Or what info do I need in general because in this situation I have to look at my controller and can't look at it and the truck gauge at the same time. If that makes sense....

This is a weird application but in actual operation it turned out to be more useful than anyone imagined when the "engineer-geeks" dreamed up the idea.

We had a contract for repositioning a heavy but "sensitive cargo" and as such the tractor and trailer was instrumented with a real-time-logging-data system that monitored every thing that could effect the "sensitive cargo".........

One of the odd measurement points was the "tractor / trailer hitch draw-bar strain gage"........this measurement point turned out to be a real gold mine in info in that it not only recorded jerky-driver actions but it also really defined the brake forces interaction between the tractor and trailer and the live data draw bar strain gage data allowed a amazing of tuning of the entire brake system operations AND the drivers actually used the gage to "smooth" the towing of the trailer a LOT........I was amazed how useful the gage was.....

One of the side effects of the draw-bar strain data was trailer slack adjuster tuning and since any brake drag could be identified quickly when compared with historical data points........

Pretty sure that the Dollytrolley has too many gages for a geezer like me to keep track of but lots of folks like a lot of gages........

Back in my birdboy days I had some crafts that had way too many engines, props, hyd. and way,way too many electrical systems ,switches, valves, breakers, fuses, flairs, and, and, etc...........it can get to be a more than full time job .........but I was not a geezer yet......so I did not know I had any limits.........( I had limits.....I just did not know)......

Drive on.......(Whats your hitch......stresses)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

Thank you all for your input, It was all helpful. Sorry about being of line so long.....to much going on, I call today about a air/ elect. Hayes controller, and when I get time to read up on them to see if it will be a improvement over what I have. I really don't use it very often, mostly in town, for quick stops. Thank you all, for your replies. OU812

Archived