OT - RV Garage Build

Chad Heiser

Chad,

You might consider running a separate electric service for the shop rather than supplying through the house. My shop used to be run from the house, and Mom would complain every time I had a welding project, 'cause the lights kept flickering. Maybe it was because the house only had a 100 amp service. :o

Now I have a 200 amp service just for the shop, and everybody's happy.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Nice building! The matching siding looks great and you will love having your rig inside. We built a 60x34 attached garage when we built our house. We keep our rig inside that but I wish we had done things differently. The garage is only 14' tall, with 2 13' doors. Our HDT is a smaller sleeper cab and the Teton just fits under the door. The garage is heated by infloor heat and cooled as necessary. We have plugs about every 10' and 3 50 amp plugs along with full hookups. I really enjoy it but I wish it was bigger and taller. You will undoubtedly enjoy your setup. It looks very nice.

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

Chad,

You might consider running a separate electric service for the shop rather than supplying through the house. My shop used to be run from the house, and Mom would complain every time I had a welding project, 'cause the lights kept flickering. Maybe it was because the house only had a 100 amp service. :o

Another option is what I did. Now I was building all new so a little easier to plan for but instead of installing separate services for both the house and office/shop, I installed a 350A service in to a tap can. From the tap can I feed the shop/office with 200A service. The house (yet to be built) with 200A service and 75A to the RV pad & deck (again not yet built) and another 100A to the cabin (that at some point in the far future I plan to convert to a guest cottage).

This allowed me to have 1 service for the entire property. I also did the same for my water and septic. Now the county did make me install a larger septic plant/system than I wanted for just the two of us but managing one was easier than two or three.

I like your shop. It would be nice to have the larger size like you have, but this will do nicely for now. I was jealous when you posted about building yours. I am looking forward to having the concrete floor to work on. It will be a lot nicer than the gravel I have dealt with in the past when crawling under the truck and 5er. I will run full power throughput the shop with plenty of plugs. I won't have 6 - 50 amp plugs like your shop, but I will have a couple (one on either side) so they will be accessible regardless of which stall I park the 5er in.

Thank you! I have really enjoyed having the work space. Only problem is now that I have the work space, I am running out of excuses of why I am not getting projects done!

2017 Entegra Anthem 44A

SOLD - 2004 Volvo 780. 465hp and 10sp Auto Shift (from 2010~2017)

SOLD - 2009 Montana 3400RL

Another option is what I did. Now I was building all new so a little easier to plan for but instead of installing separate services for both the house and office/shop, I installed a 350A service in to a tap can. From the tap can I feed the shop/office with 200A service. The house (yet to be built) with 200A service and 75A to the RV pad & deck (again not yet built) and another 100A to the cabin (that at some point in the far future I plan to convert to a guest cottage).

This allowed me to have 1 service for the entire property. I also did the same for my water and septic. Now the county did make me install a larger septic plant/system than I wanted for just the two of us but managing one was easier than two or three.

This is the best way to do it. Many jurisdictions have additional charges, beyond the cost of energy used. This cost is a flat charge, added to every power bill. This can add up over time with multiple meterbases on multiple service drops.

Edit to add: Depending on the local jurisdiction, it may be economically advantageous to upgrade to 3-phase power during the service change. 3-phase may be billed at a lower per kWHr rate.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

This is the best way to do it. Many jurisdictions have additional charges, beyond the cost of energy used. This cost is a flat charge, added to every power bill. This can add up over time with multiple meterbases on multiple service drops.

That was part of my motivation. RV pad and Cabin are not used all the time. But we wanted full power when used. There was also additional cost for initial installation. If I put a meter on each place I wanted power the power company would have to pay for the power to the meter. I would have only paid for the wire from the meter on. I also wanted my power buried and not above ground. So this insured all my service would be buried and I buried the conduit 5' deep. This insures it never gets accidentally hit. Pro/cons which ever way you go but there are options.

2017 Entegra Anthem 44A

SOLD - 2004 Volvo 780. 465hp and 10sp Auto Shift (from 2010~2017)

SOLD - 2009 Montana 3400RL

Chad,

It would be nice for the garage to have its own service, but it is not in the cards right now. The garage isn't going to have any major electrical draws. The biggest draw will be the 50 amp 5er plug. Even with that, I will never really use the full 50 amps. The 5er and truck will be plugged in to keep the batteries charged and that is about it. I will have lights and some regular plugs for general use, but I won't be putting any large draw items like a welder in there (although I should be able to with no problem the way it will be wired). I am going to run a 100 amp sub panel to the garage off my 200 amp house panel.

I have a barn on the property also that is currently being used as my workshop. It has its own 150!amp service direct from the power pole and I can run big draw items there with no problem also.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

Chad, that is a great looking project and I say atta boy for doing almost everything yourself! You got some talent!

If fact, if you ever feel like exercising more of that skill, we've got projects at orphanages south of the border that could use a guy like you in short term trips with lots of other guys.

Great job man.

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
2016 DRV Mobile Suites, Houston
HERO Makers Ministry

30495168531_143d8fb8d6_m.jpg

Chad, that is a great looking project and I say atta boy for doing almost everything yourself! You got some talent!

If fact, if you ever feel like exercising more of that skill, we've got projects at orphanages south of the border that could use a guy like you in short term trips with lots of other guys.

Great job man.

Thanks for the compliment. As far as the volunteering, I could see myself doing something like that in the future.

2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)

event.png    

• 1 month later...

Chad What a great looking shop. You have done a great job in a very short time All of that rock really made it that much tougher. What a great place to keep the 5er nd the truck. Congratulations on a job well done!! Pat

The Old Sailor

Thanks Pat. I appreciate it.

event.png    

I really have to stop reading this forum as all these great ideas and projects keep adding to my wish list. At least I got our truck and the wife did not complain so maybe there is still hope. Chad that garage turned out wonderful, congrats!!!!!

2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB

2001 T2000 Kenworth

2009 Smart Passion

ET Junior hitch

I really have to stop reading this forum as all these great ideas and projects keep adding to my wish list. At least I got our truck and the wife did not complain so maybe there is still hope. Chad that garage turned out wonderful, congrats!!!!!

Nice job. Congratulations!

Thank you

event.png    

As nice an example of quality work as a professional wire-wiggler would put out. At a substantial cost savings. Quoting the electrician when Fred Flintstone restored a house for his Mother-in-Law, "I'm much to expensive, I can't afford myself".

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Archived