Amazon's increasing use of USPS

docj

As Amazon has increased the number of its warehouses around the US, more and more of its items are shipping with USPS even when they are Prime-2 Day or Overnight. However, in my experience some RV parks have been more willing to let campers receive UPS or FedEx packages than they have been to have you included in their regular mail delivery. Is this a widespread attitude and, if so, what can be done to receive Amazon shipments if you are staying at such a park? I thought that paying the $3.99 for overnight delivery on a Prime account would force the use of UPS or FedEx but this week I discovered it didn't. I don't think there's any way to force Amazon to use a particular shipper.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As far as I can tell there is no way to force amazon to use UPS.

If the RV park has a problem with receiving packages for you (or you are on the road and don't want to wait) you can have the item sent General Delivery to the post office of a town you are going to be passing through in a few days and pick it up from the post office as you roll through town.

Personally, I've found that the smaller the town the better for choosing a general delivery location.

This article goes into greater depth - http://maphappy.org/2015/07/how-to-receive-amazon-packages-while-traveling/

fuso.jpg.b3c0d8d35ed0a147efc1900170d393e5.jpg

I'm seeing stuff that is originally shipped via UPS that is then handed off to the USPS for delivery, called UPS SurePost® and it makes guessing what is arriving when tricky. Even more fun the USPS delivers Amazon packages here in Phoenix on Saturday and Sunday.

For UPS you can sign up for an account on their website and pay extra to have the UPS folks deliver your package instead of handing it off to USPS for delivery. Can't see the cost per shipment but it looks like there is a $40.00 annual fee option.

https://www.ups.com/content/us/en/bussol/browse/personal/delivery_options/my_choice.html

---------------

FedEx has their own system, SmartPost® that I haven't paid a lot of attention to.

http://www.fedex.com/us/delivery/

http://www.fedex.com/us/smart-post/index.html

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

I'm seeing stuff that is originally shipped via UPS that is then handed off to the USPS for delivery, called UPS SurePost® and it makes guessing what is arriving when tricky. Even more fun the USPS delivers Amazon packages here in Phoenix on Saturday and Sunday.

For UPS you can sign up for an account on their website and pay extra to have the UPS folks deliver your package instead of handing it off to USPS for delivery. Can't see the cost per shipment but it looks like there is a $40.00 annual fee option.

https://www.ups.com/content/us/en/bussol/browse/personal/delivery_options/my_choice.html

---------------

FedEx has their own system, SmartPost® that I haven't paid a lot of attention to.

http://www.fedex.com/us/delivery/

http://www.fedex.com/us/smart-post/index.html

Ah that's a good point, had not really thought about that option!

fuso.jpg.b3c0d8d35ed0a147efc1900170d393e5.jpg

I actually asked this question a couple of days ago at a UPS store. She said, that there is code 1Z??? that requires delivery by UPS. Not sure if it is true or not.

I received a shortwave radio that I asked for UPS delivery from Amazon. The address was UNIT 264....it was delivered to PO BOX 264.

I was so mad...that I thought about calling Amazon and asking where my shortwave radio was delivered since it was not delivered to UNIT 264. And having them ship me another radio!!

Yes, it is dis-honest, but really do you think there is any other way to get their attention?? Maybe I will try that and donate the extra radio to the Salvation Army so I don't get the guilts.

I have complained to several shippers and all I get is Oh, that is interesting. I suspect for them it will ONLY get more interesting if it costs them money.

I am out of ideas on dealing with this problem.

Vladimr Steblina

Retired Forester...exploring the public lands.

usbackroads.blogspot.com

Personally I don't care how Amazon ships I just want to know before they do so I can plan for my package. This is a big issue in many areas of Alaska where we do not get US mail at our physical address but have to pick it up at the post office. UPS does not ship to postal address and USPS does not ship to physical address (unless of course you live in the states where most of the time these are the same). I can not count the times I have ordered 2nd day air via Amazon prime and had some swap over to USPS take place meaning your order winds up undelivered and in the ether. Hearing the problem the area postmaster came up with a way that we could use the local post office's address as a physical and add her secret code for an individual's PO Box (totally different zip codes involved BTW so you couldn't just add the box # on another line). This worked great for Amazon because the same item could shipped one time by USPS and then another by UPS. I have complained to Amazon via their shipping feedback system with a suggestion but received no response. Usually I have to cancel the order or it gets sent back to them from where ever it wound up. Seems like it would be simple enough to allow someone to select their shipping method to prevent this frustration. If there was a cost involved describe it and let the customer decide. Sorry for my rant....

Meanwhile on the road stuff usually shows up without a hitch but we have encountered outfits that either are reluctant to receive packages or want a fee to do so.

Later,

J

PS Oh the postmaster was later replaced and her arrangement died because it wasn't within regulations.

2012 Landmark, San Antonio

2013 Silverado CC, 3500HD, Duramax, DRW, 4x4

Backup, side and hitch cameras, Tireminder TPMS

We also have had shipping problems from Amazon and others that would not ship to a PO Box. The local USPS has an option to receive FED X and UPS. They also use an address that doesn't include "PO Box" so all of the web sites will hopefully accept it. The address is the physical address of the USPS followed by #? #????. The first ? is a number for USPS and the second is the PO Box number only. If the shipping website accepts the address it will end up at the USPS in your PO Box. Sometimes a sender feels it necessary to change the address to a more familar format. The package will end up somewhere ???. I haven't found a way to receive these packages on the road for campgrounds that don't accept USPS for guests.

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

We stayed in a campground where we could use the physical address for Amazon. Ordered a can of eterna clean and a roll of eterna bond. Gave them the address of the campground. The eterna clean was delivered to our campsite by UPS. The eterna bond was dropped off at the USPS. Since they did not deliver to rv sites it was refused. Have no idea what ever happened to the tape. Thought it was crazy since both items shipped from the same place. There was no way to tell how they would be delivered. Have since complained to Amazon. They could not even be bothered to tell me to go to hell. Do not plan to ever bother with doing business with them again

See you on the road!

What I've been seeing in TX all winter are "pure" USPS Amazon deliveries. No involvement of UPS at all.

As for that UPS account you are talking about, I don't think it is possible to set one up using an address that UPS recognizes as commercial which is what they consider most CG addresses to be; I've tried.

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Not much help if you don't know if your item is being shipped UPS or USPS or FedEx. That is my only issue with Amazon...you don't know how they are going to ship.

Later,

J

2012 Landmark, San Antonio

2013 Silverado CC, 3500HD, Duramax, DRW, 4x4

Backup, side and hitch cameras, Tireminder TPMS

Watch out with trying to use General Delivery. We have had packages addressed to General Delivery and routed via UPS refused at the USPS. Not all locations, but some towns(Deming,NM was one). Apparently there is no requirement that items addressed to General Delivery be accepted by USPS. Before you address anything General Delivery call the USPS location and ask if they will accept General Delivery from UPS.

I wonder if shipping is an Amazon decision or a UPS decision. I don't recall when anything "from" amazon came directly via USPS. Usually, UPS delivers it to the local USPS.

I am sure Amazon could tell UPS that package x must be delivered UPS. I am not at all sure Amazon can ship things via USPS out the Amazon door. I think everything must go through UPS.

Maybe someone who has worked at Amazon can enlighten us.

Amazon has direct ties to USPS for things such as same day delivery in certain areas and Sunday deliveries in certain areas. It is estimated that USPS delivers 40% of Amazon's packages at a cost of $2 per package, about half the cost of UPS.

Source: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-07-30/it-s-amazon-s-world-the-usps-just-delivers-in-it

I doubt the USPS is going to disappear from Amazons delivery options, in fact, I would guess it is going to increase. I do think, however, that when there is a specific reason for delivering via a certain carrier that Amazon should offer that option.

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

My UPS wouldn't let me use my campground or mail service addresses because they were both classed as commercial. Did you find a way around that?

But, as others have said, if the package isn't coming by UPS this doesn't help anything.

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

Joel,

No, I haven't as I'm no longer full time, just part time. USPS has My USPS, also free, and shows where and when: https://www.usps.com/manage/myusps.htm

Granted My USPS and My UPS aren't tailor made for just our small full time group. It sounds like perhaps someone in their travels might consider sitting down with an Amazon exec and see if they have any interest in a work around. I've found if you don't ask, no one can ever say yes.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

BTW guys,

I get a tracking number for every Amazon purchase which tells me when my stuff comes in but not the delivery service is being used in the course of tracking many times anyway. It just occurred to me that all it would take for Amazon to accommodate RVrs and everyone else too would be to reflect in the tracking number display status what delivery service is being used. They know that up front anyway, or their agent/shipper does. I do as much eBay lately as Amazon as many stores like Target/Crocs/Newegg have their outlet stores there.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

BTW guys,

I get a tracking number for every Amazon purchase which tells me when my stuff comes in but not the delivery service is being used in the course of tracking many times anyway. It just occurred to me that all it would take for Amazon to accommodate RVrs and everyone else too would be to reflect in the tracking number display status what delivery service is being used. They know that up front anyway, or their agent/shipper does. I do as much eBay lately as Amazon as many stores like Target/Crocs/Newegg have their outlet stores there.

That really does not solve the problem.

I had stuff shipped and specified UPS shipment ALL THE WAY. She looked it up and said yep, UPS all the way. Then the shipping department changed it to SmartPost. When I called back to raise holy hell, the order department did not even know what SmartPost was they thought all their stuff went UPS.

It is more than Amazon, I believe you need to only 50 shipments a week to sign up for the transfer service to USPS. The problem is going to get worse rather than better. The solution is pretty simple. Identify the shipment method at time of order and it has to stay that way. Really, it is a link between the shipping program and the ordering program.

There are some real interesting discussions on the internet about this.....

Vladimr Steblina

usbackroads.blogspot.com

Vlad,

That really does not solve the problem, until someone links the programs.

If you read my preceding post I was not trying to solve the problem. I was offering some starting points for any fulltimers motivated to do something about it.

Perhaps Amazon would charge an extra dollar for making sure the shipment goes a certain way.

I don't know, as I have a fixed address now anyway, and my USPS and FedEx and UPS folks that run the route I'm on all know me and I them by name. I take care of them at Christmas and they take care of me the rest of the year. Nice folks but not policy level problem solvers.

IWell enough on this topic for me, I hope you solve that problem for whenever we get back on the fulltime road. Consider my suggestions worth exactly what you paid for them. ;)

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

I need to know how it is going to be shipped when I order. Since some USPS locations do not accept General Delivery from UPS and when UPS tries to deliver it to them they refuse and UPS sends it back to Amazon. I really don't care if it comes UPS or USPS, I just need to know so if it is coming via UPS and I have it addressed to General Delivery I need to call UPS and have it help at the UPS office.

I just found my note about the discussion with the UPS employee.

She said IF the tracking number starts with a 1Z it is suppose to go UPS the entire distance.

So anybody have a SmartPost tracking number to confirm or deny her statement??

Vladimr Steblina

usbackroads.blogspot.com

That's interesting. I don't have SmartPost but I looked at the tracking of some of my past orders that came all the way via UPS and they are all 1Z. So you may be on to something. I kinda made up my own system where I signed up for their texts and noticed that the shipping texts that always say "check your mailbox" are the ones that come USPS, and the texts that say "delivery by 8PM" are OnTrac. I signed up for the FedEx delivery manager for something else a long time ago but it somehow picks up Amazon deliveries and I get an email when one is on the way. So if it doesn't fit any of the above it must be coming UPS...

I'm with you guys in that I would love to be able to pick shippers or at least tell me who has it as they all put them somewhere different every time. Plus they all make their deliveries at pretty consistent times so I can plan for it. I have a gate on the top of a kinda steep hill where you can't see a small box on the ground over the top of your hood when the gate opens and there is a box behind it. I ran over two of my own Christmas presents last year! :lol:

A year ago our Amazon order that was suppose to go UPS ended up for final delivery at USPS. We did not receive mail at the physical address. After a couple of days when Amazon notified us the order had arrived I called them. The order was not there. They asked us to check with neighbors and USPS but no one knew where the package was. To make up for the problem, Amazon reshipped the order via overnight shipping by UPS. The order arrived the next day. About a week later USPS said we had an Amazon package with postage due. The package eventually made it to our PO Box about 2 weeks late. We declined to accept it or pay the additional postage so the package was returned to Amazon.

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

Archived