Amazon's increasing use of USPS

docj

I get a tracking number for every Amazon purchase which tells me when my stuff comes in but not the delivery service is being used in the course of tracking many times anyway. It just occurred to me that all it would take for Amazon to accommodate RVrs and everyone else too would be to reflect in the tracking number display status what delivery service is being used. They know that up front anyway, or their agent/shipper does.

Once you can get the tracking number from Amazon determining the shipper is pretty obvious IMO. If it's a number that begins with "1Z" then it's UPS; if it's a long all numeric number beginning (I think) with a 9 then it is USPS; if it's a short all numeric number it is FedEx. If you are unsure you can go to each carrier's website and try the number in the tracking box. If it isn't theirs, you'll be told.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So what number does it get when it starts as UPS and ends up as USPS???

If the package uses UPS SurePost it will have a 1Z UPS tracking number. The UPS tracking page will show that it has been delivered to USPS and is supposed to show the USPS tracking number used for the last portion of the trip.

The FedEx SmartPost system works the same way.

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

Joel,

That has not been my experience. It so happens I just bought the new Star Wars film in BluRay/DVD/Digital copy from eBay. It was a 1z tracking number and was UPS all the way to Shreveport, then they delivered it into the hands of the Post Office.

post-1765-0-25868900-1460412834_thumb.jpg

If you click on that ^^^^ I did a screen capture on today's delivery I think. It is pouring down, and my house is set back about 300 feet from the road and my mailbox. 1Z and still handed off to the post office. UPS comes to the door. USPS doesn't.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

If you look at the UPS Tracking results in the previous post, at the bottom I got a completely different USPS tracking number for the last day of In Transit I went to the USPS tracking number page, pasted the number in and got the below:

post-1765-0-69408800-1460413781_thumb.jpg

Amazon's are the same. THey start out UPS then a new USPS number is given for the last day before delivery.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Joel,

That has not been my experience. It so happens I just bought the new Star Wars film in BluRay/DVD/Digital copy from eBay. It was a 1z tracking number and was UPS all the way to Shreveport, then they delivered it into the hands of the Post Office.

attachicon.gifCaptureUPS (Small).JPG

If you click on that ^^^^ I did a screen capture on today's delivery I think. It is pouring down, and my house is set back about 300 feet from the road and my mailbox. 1Z and still handed off to the post office. UPS comes to the door. USPS doesn't.

I don't think anyone is disagreeing. All UPS shipments start with 1Z regardless of whether or not they are going to USPS. The screen shot you posted clearly shows the USPS tracking number at the bottom of the page. The only question is whether or not that tracking number was visible in advance of the package being handed over to USPS.

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

I don't think it was and can't see it on other "Your Order was Shipped" emails. I'll just have to pay closer attention on my next Amazon order. I wish there were a better solution for fulltime RVrs.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

I thought the USPS was $80,000,000,000 in the red. And that's just the last quarter. Why are they still there?

The USPS is still there because the US Constitution through the US Congress require it to be there.

The USPS is in the red at their $15 billion debt limit as a direct result of congress mandating they pre-fund retiree healthcare 75 years into the future at a cost of about $5 billion per year. They are the only public or private entity in the US that is required by law to pre-fund healthcare at all, much less for employees that haven't even been born yet!

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

The USPS is still there because the US Constitution through the US Congress require it to be there.

The Constitution only requires Postal Roads. There is no Post Office in the Constitution.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

The Constitution only requires Postal Roads. There is no Post Office in the Constitution.

Mark is correct, the Constitution "gives Congress the power" to create a post office, but its existence is not required.

Here's a quote from the USPS website:

In June 1788, the ninth state ratified the Constitution, which gave Congress the power “To establish Post Offices and post Roads” in Article I, Section 8. A year later, the Act of September 22, 1789 (1 Stat. 70), continued the Post Office and made the Postmaster General subject to the direction of the President. Four days later, President Washington appointed Samuel Osgood as the first Postmaster General under the Constitution. A population of almost four million was served by 75 Post Offices and about 2,400 miles of post roads.

The Post Office received two one-year extensions by the Acts of August 4, 1790 (1 Stat. 178), and March 3, 1791 (1 Stat. 218). The Act of February 20, 1792 (1 Stat. 232), continued the Post Office for another two years and formally admitted newspapers to the mails, gave Congress the power to establish post routes, and prohibited postal officials from opening letters. Later legislation enlarged the duties of the Post Office, strengthened and unified its organization, and provided rules for its development. The Act of May 8, 1794 (1 Stat. 354), continued the Post Office indefinitely.

Joel

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

As I said, "...the US Constitution through the US Congress require it to be there." The constitution gave congress the authority, and congress authorized its existence indefinitely. Either way, it would take an act of congress to do away with the USPS, something that's not likely to happen in any of our lifetimes.

Dutch

I just checked the tracking status of packages enroute on UPS, Fedex, and the USPS just using apps on my phone. It wasn't long ago that I could only check UPS and Fedex that way, and the online USPS tracking was often unreliable or not up to date. They are slowly making improvements at least...

Dutch

Just heard that the Post Office is lowering the postal rate. I guess all of those "forever" stamps I bought weren't such a great investment after all. <_<

2019 Airstream Flying Cloud 27FB
2011 Ford F350 CC SRW

"Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for."       Will Rogers        

I order a part for our RV for delivery to a location where we were going to be for the next 2.5 weeks figuring that would be long enough to get it before we left. I tracked it to Tampa where it was transferred to USPS. I was about 40 miles from there and after two weeks it wasn't delivered. I contacted the company and they shipped another one that arrived in two day. Another week latter the first one showed up but I had already moved on.

Dave and Marge

2010 Phaeton Motor Home
Previous Mobile Suites 36 RSSB3 (for sale)
and 2005 FL M2-106 Sport (for sale after 5er sells)

Just heard that the Post Office is lowering the postal rate. I guess all of those "forever" stamps I bought weren't such a great investment after all. <_<

I bought several rolls at 47 cents just before the temporary 49 cent rate took effect, so no loss here, just back to par. :)

Dutch

I just received an email that Amazon has shipped some items. I went to the tracking and of course it has a 1Z number but it also says UPS Sure Post which means it is coming USPS. If I have internet, I know this before delivery, before it is actually in the hands of USPS(usually doesn't get to to USPS until day of delivery) I can then make some changes and have them hold it at the UPS Service Center.

I need to look at some older Amazon delivery notices to see if the UPS Sure Post was on the tracking. Curious.

I still would like to be able to request which way a pkg goes though.

I stopped ordering from Amazon when I was snowbirding near Parker, AZ. If it was coming UPS I needed to give the park address and my site number in California. If it was coming USPS I needed to give the general delivery address in Arizona. When Amazon would not let me choose nor tell me how things would ship, I stopped ordering. Very irritating!!!

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

I just ordered something an dit is being delivered by UPS Surepost. Told me this when I put in the 1Z number. However, I clicked on "Wat is Sureport?" and found this, may be the solution to some of our problems if you get the package info early enough.

: UPS My Choice® Members can upgrade a UPS SurePost package to UPS Ground for an additional fee. Once upgraded, Members can use the features available with their Membership to reschedule or redirect delivery to an alternate address or to The UPS Store®. Upgraded packages typically arrive one day earlier. 1.gif

At least now I know how my package is coming............................and can change it............

: UPS My Choice® Members can upgrade a UPS SurePost package to UPS Ground for an additional fee. Once upgraded, Members can use the features available with their Membership to reschedule or redirect delivery to an alternate address or to The UPS Store®. Upgraded packages typically arrive one day earlier. 1.gif

Let me know if you can use your RV park address for a UPS MyChoice account. I couldn't use ours because it was considered "commercial".

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

Let me know if you can use your RV park address for a UPS MyChoice account. I couldn't use ours because it was considered "commercial".

Joel, I successfully switched several deliveries from SurePost to UPS direct delivery to our site at Sumter Oaks in FL a couple of months ago using my MyChoice account.

Dutch

A simple solution is to buy locally. If I can't find it at Western Auto or Montgomery Ward, I don't need it. :)

OMG.... Instant delivery .... BUT I'm not sure it is constitutional.... :unsure:

BTW if WA or MW doesn't have it, you can order directly from China..... Free shipping..... To be delivered soonly.... :D

Dave

Dave, Renee & furkids Casey & Miss Kitty
1998 Volvo 610 Straight 10 "Leather n' Lace"; Herrin bed w/Rampage motorcycle lift; 2010 40' New Horizons Majestic; 2008 Harley FLSTC; 2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited; 1999 Yamaha 4X4 Kodiak (that is NOT with us!)

Archived