weight consideration

mikelp

I know this gets asked excessively, but here goes-

Had a small motor home years ago and wanted something smaller for short vacations or events.

I got a deal on a '94 Ram 1500.

It was used to pull a trailer and has a transmission cooler and 10-ply tires.

I got a 7 1/2 foot slide in and total unloaded weight is right at 7000 lbs.

The door tag says GVR around 6800.

It drives and handles well.

The camper is held by bed pocket stakes.

Am I doing a good thing?

Thanks for any considerations.

post-31895-0-58098500-1458237992_thumb.jpg

If you are saying the total unloaded weight of the slide in camper is 7000# then you are way overweight.

If you are saying the total unloaded weight of the truck and camper is 7000#, you are still overweight by at least 200# plus your weight, any items you bring with and fluid weights. You need to weigh the unit as loaded for travel with you and any other people in it, then start coming up with ways to lighten it so that it is below the GVWR rate which will be pretty hard to do if the unloaded weight already exceeds it. (Change steel bed to an aluminum flat bed?)

So to answer your question, no you are not doing a good thing. You are making your vehicle unsafe by overloading it. Yes, it may drive fine in normal conditions, but what about in a panic stop, or panic stop while turning or on slick roads, etc...? It also currently looks like it is nose high so that could be an issue with headlight aiming. What about tire loads?

Note for pulling a trailer you need to look at the GCVWR and hitch weights which might be a much better solution as you transfer weight to the trailer axles and if the trailer has brakes also helps the braking aspect out and may not have as high a center of gravity as the slide in camper.

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

We have a 2014 F350 dually and it's payload capacity is just over 7000 pounds. If your slide in is 7000 pounds unloaded you are WAY overweight for a 94 1500 Ram. Greg

Greg & Judy Bahnmiller
Class of 2007
2014 F350
2007 HitchHiker Champagne

Both sold 2/19, settled in Foley, AL after 12 years on the road

http://bahnmilleradventure.blogspot.com/

IMHO, it's not that bad. You should go over it very carefully trying to eliminate weight. Make a spreadsheet with items that it would be possible to remove with a weight estimate and see if you can get it down to 6,500 # or so and still be livable. Are all the camper tanks drained? Can you live with 10% of the pots, pans, skillets, griddles, etc.? Can you clean out 90% of the pantry contents? Extra furniture that can go away, chairs, stools, hassock, etc.? It should be pretty easy to get down below 6,500 #, but would you still enjoy living in it without that stuff?

For not too much, air bags can be added that will level out the truck and help the handling. There are plenty of folks out there who go by the rule, No such thing as too much truck, but the world is filled with things far more dangerous than being at or even a little bit over the vehicle maximum ratings.

F-250 SCREW 4X4 Gas, 5th NuWa Premier 35FKTG, Full Time, Engineer Ret.

The picture you posted says it all no comments necessary.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

It's all about tires, wheels and rear axle......You can do all kinds of suspension modifications to make a 1500 seem like a 2500/3500....But hit one good bump a near highway speeds and see what that 1/2 ton rear axle does.....and those LT truck tires are a roll over waiting to happen............How do I know.....years ago we never even thought about this stuff and we had terrible experiences... :unsure:

RoyB

South of Boston

2021 Dodge 2500 - 6.4L

Forest River 19RR Toy Hauler

Roofnest Falcon Rooftop Tent

www.rvbprecision.com

Archived