Class A problem

GlennWest

Know I need a Class A license but I 'm working in Louisiana 7 days a week. I can take the written test likely when I pick up truck. The driving test is the problem. Seems I will have to drive it here and hope I don't get pulled over. Do this when I return to Texas. Again hoping for the best. This is not a good situation. Should have done this when in Texas but hind sight is 20/20

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

Since you're operating out of class either way, I don't see an advantage to taking the written test until you're going to be able to schedule an appointment for the driving test, which is probably what they'll expect you to do anyway. I believe that I'd wait until you're going to be back in Texas for a while before you start the process of obtaining the Class A.

Phil

2002 Teton Royal Aspen

2003 Kenworth T2000 - Cat C12 380/430 1450/1650, FreedomLine, 3.36 - TOTO . . . he's not in Kansas anymore.

ET Air Hitch

I agree Phil, just is bad I'm out of state now. With the dually I needed them and never an issue. Wasn't driving an HDT though. May be concerned over nothing. Either way don't see any other choice. Anyone ever got stopped just for checking licenses?

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

Know I need a Class A license but I 'm working in Louisiana 7 days a week. I can take the written test likely when I pick up truck. The driving test is the problem. Seems I will have to drive it here and hope I don't get pulled over. Do this when I return to Texas. Again hoping for the best. This is not a good situation. Should have done this when in Texas but hind sight is 20/20

Could someone in "Wherever-Texas" just meet you at the DMV at the test schedule time........and just loan you a truck for the test.......maybe a insurance issue but maybe not???

Who knows.....

Drive on.......(Pass the test with........a loaner truck??)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

Bad idea to be driving a commercial truck without the appropriate license. Fines for commercial violations can be very steep. Murphy's Law has a way of striking at the worst possible time. You would be wise to pay a properly licensed driver to relocate the truck or, store the truck in its' current location until you can move it legally yourself. Would your DW be able to get her Class A first? Then, you get a Lerner's Permit and, can drive legally under her supervision.

It is unlikely you will get the written and driving test the same day. After I passed the written they had to schedule the driving when they had a time available. At least that is what they did in Livingston.

Brad

Brad and Jacolyn
Tucker the Wonder dog and Brynn the Norfolk Terrier
2009 Smart "Joy"
2004 VNL630 "Vonda the Volvo"
2008 Hitch Hiker 35 CK Champagne Edition
VED12 465 HP, Freedomline, 3.73 ratio, WB 218"
Fulltiming and loving it.

It isn't commercial. It is a motorhome. You don't understand the situation. Can't even get a Class A without the camper in tow.

The truck is now a Motorhome, all by itself. Your new motorhome is also under 26k#, correct? Your class C is all you need to drive just your motorhome. Now once you connect your 5th wheel your GCW will exceed 26k# and the trailer is over 10k#, at that point you will need a class A in order to move your motorhome down the road, legally,

As for the test, I don't believe you can take the test online. I would imagine you will have to take it in person. When I took my test I had to take the written. Once passed they issue a "learners permit". Then once ready, you can taken the driven the test. I took mine the following day. For the driven test you have have to make an appointment. The way the appointment worked in Collin County is I had to arrive at the testing facility early in the morning. They advised of the available times left for the day for the driven test. I then returned at that time to take my test.

2017 Entegra Anthem 44A

SOLD - 2004 Volvo 780. 465hp and 10sp Auto Shift (from 2010~2017)

SOLD - 2009 Montana 3400RL

Rick, I've been thinking same way. Have not recalled this ever being posted on this forum though. Maybe Phil will comment but I believe you are right. If this is true, I will be fine bring it here. Trip back to Texas will be only illegal tow. Also when job is over I will be unemployed, :) , so will have time for this.

The truck is now a Motorhome, all by itself. Your new motorhome is also under 26k#, correct? Your class C is all you need to drive just your motorhome. Now once you connect your 5th wheel your GCW will exceed 26k# and the trailer is over 10k#, at that point you will need a class A in order to move your motorhome down the road, legally,

This raises a question. Is it the actual weight or the registered GVWR that determines your categorization.

"There are No Experts, Do the Math!"

2014 Freightliner Cascadia DD16 600hp  1850ft-lb  18spd  3.31  260"wb
SpaceCraft S-470
SKP #131740

REGISTERED gross is what determines the class. NOT the actual weight.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

In Texas only the vehicles actual weight is on the registration for a motorhome. You do not have to declare a carrying weight as a motorhome. If the truck was registered as a private truck then a weight would have to be declared.

2017 Entegra Anthem 44A

SOLD - 2004 Volvo 780. 465hp and 10sp Auto Shift (from 2010~2017)

SOLD - 2009 Montana 3400RL

When I registered my dually in Texas, they cared less about gross carrying weight. Just what it weighed. We had that conversation. Camper same way. I actually had weight scale tickets and that was a waste of time.

In Texas only the vehicles actual weight is on the registration for a motorhome. You do not have to declare a carrying weight as a motorhome. If the truck was registered as a private truck then a weight would have to be declared.

By the way, what does my truck weigh? I have read around 17k. Is this right? Not able to weigh it just now. Which it soon will be 700# heavier. Hitch soon be ready

I've also never heard of taking the written test online. If that's an option, it's something that's been added in the last seven years.

Regarding your earlier question, Glenn, about anyone being stopped just to check for proper licensing, I've never heard of it happening, but conceivably it could. My impression of the process, though, is that the DPS is more concerned that you're making a timely effort to "get legal" than they are looking for an opportunity to ticket you for operating out of classification. After all, no one ever has their rig driven to the exam center for their driving test by someone with a Class A license, so by definition, 100% of the candidates for a Class A license are in violation when they show up for their test.

Phil

2002 Teton Royal Aspen

2003 Kenworth T2000 - Cat C12 380/430 1450/1650, FreedomLine, 3.36 - TOTO . . . he's not in Kansas anymore.

ET Air Hitch

Sorry Rick, not so. The GVWR is well over 26,001 lbs.

This raises a question. Is it the actual weight or the registered GVWR that determines your categorization.

The law says use GVWR or actual weight, whichever is greatest.

REGISTERED gross is what determines the class. NOT the actual weight.

I could "register" the smart for 80,000lbs but it doesn't mean I need a Class A. GVWR is what determines the required DL class.

Glenn, the odds of getting stopped are slim. Worry more about getting back to Texas safely than about getting stopped. It is ONLY a traffic ticket.

Check this page for the chart:

Class A

Authorizes an individual to drive a vehicle or combination of vehicles:

1. Not described under a Class B or Class C driver license
  2. With a GVWR of 26,001 pounds or more provided the GVWR of the vehicle(s) towed is in excess of 10,000 pounds including vehicles in Class B or Class C

Class B

Authorizes an individual to drive:

1. Any single vehicle with a GVWR of 26,001 pounds or more and any such vehicle towing a vehicle with a GVWR that does not exceed 10,000 pounds or a farm trailer with a GVWR that does not exceed 20,000 pounds
  2. A bus with a seating capacity of 24 passengers or more including the driver
  3. Any vehicle included in Class C

Class C

Authorizes an individual to drive any single vehicle:

1. Or combination of vehicles that are not included in Class A or Class B
  2. With a GVWR of less than 26,001 pounds towing a farm trailer with a GVWR that does not exceed 20,000 pounds
  3. Designed to transport 23 or less passengers including the driver; vehicles rated as 16-23 passengers including the driver require a Class C CDL unless exempt

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

The GVWR is what the sticker says. Unless you can get a "manufacturer" to change it, it is and will always be what that door sticker says.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Archived