Class A problem

GlennWest

The GVWR is what the sticker says. Unless you can get a "manufacturer" to change it, it is and will always be what that door sticker says.

Phil, that is what I meant to say when I said registered...bad choice of words.

You can't change what is on your door sticker. That is what you go by in TX. You need a Class B to drive it without a trailer, and a Class A to drive it with a trailer (well, any trailer you would have, anyway). You will be driving out of class but probably not have an issue. As you said - not something to be put off (getting the right class license).

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

So.....how do folks that live-full-time in Texas "arrive" at the Texas DMV office with a HDT to take the class A test........do folks "Normally" have a current Class A licensed driver "ferry" the truck to the Texas DMV testing office?

Would a CDL driver be legal to drive a non-commercial truck to the DMV office.........it seems that a CDL would seem of high enough class to be "correct"...........

Last resort........have the Freightshaker towed to the DMV........

Seems having someone with a current class A could solve this in short order......

Drive on.........(seeking class..........A)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

1) So you single your 53,000 # GVWR tractor and you go to DMV and register it for... 53,000# ??? That seems fairly insane.

2) I get pulled over and asked for license, registration and insurance card. Does the Cop say "open that door" I want to see if your license is good for this vehicle?

Something's not right here or I'm being too sensible for the bureaucracy.

"There are No Experts, Do the Math!"

2014 Freightliner Cascadia DD16 600hp  1850ft-lb  18spd  3.31  260"wb
SpaceCraft S-470
SKP #131740

I have the application for a Texas Title in my hands. It lets you declare the empty weight and carrying capacity. Also the Rebuilt Vehicle Statement lets you note any change in it *secondary axle removed*. This doesn't account for any of this?

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

If you have a Class A from say AZ would Texas make you take all of their tests if you moved to TX or would they just give you the same classification as you had in AZ?

When I got my CDL A in Texas which I already had from Michigan, it was a matter of taking the written test only, no driving test was required from Texas. I did have to take each test for Hazmat, double trailers, tanker, and chauffer.

Greg

1) So you single your 53,000 # GVWR tractor and you go to DMV and register it for... 53,000# ??? That seems fairly insane. In Texas you can "register" your truck for whatever weight you want to declare. Usually, as Glenn said, that would be its actual weight plus whatever load you plan to carry. Since Texas registration goes by weight and in blocks, it is advisable to know what block your truck will fall into and claim the max. My truck and smart weigh about 19000lbs. The group I fall into is the 18001-25999 block. Everything in that range costs the same, so I registered for 25900. If I ever want to carry the smart and several pieces of steel plate then I won't get caught being over my registered weight. But that doesn't change the fact that the GVWR on my truck is 52,000 lbs and that I need a Class B license just to drive the truck.

2) I get pulled over and asked for license, registration and insurance card. Does the Cop say "open that door" I want to see if your license is good for this vehicle?

Something's not right here or I'm being too sensible for the bureaucracy. Yes, If he wants to see if you have the proper drivers license for the truck, he will ask you to open the door so he can read the sticker. If the sticker is missing or faded, there are other ways to find the info. They are just more time consuming than the sticker. Any Class 7 or 8 truck will have a GVWR over 26,001 lbs.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

You just show up and take the driving test. Afaik no one has been asked where the licensed driver is. We are in 16 year old kids getting our license and they don't treat us like it either.

Ron C.

2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3

2000 Kenworth T2000 Optimus Prime

A few years ago I picked up a Beaver Thunder for a friend in Dallas..... the dealer had helped the owner insure the MH, the owner was a Texas resident (Gladewater).......the owner had a TX Class A from his previous MH ownership.

The dealer was filling out some paperwork and ask for my drivers license......(Oregon Class C) the office manager said I don't this will work and proceeded to call the DMV after about 5 minutes the office manager said that IF I was a Texas resident I would need a class A to drive the large MH but the DMV indicated that as a Oregon licensed driver I was allowed to operate the MH with a class C and TX would recognize the operation as legal.

It was my understanding that since I was a Oregon resident I could not obtain a TX class A if I wanted.

So does this still apply.......Glenn could someone could "ferry" your truck to the TX DMV IF the driver was from a state like Oregon that allows full Motor home / RVHDT operations with a class C lic. ? ?

The one thing that one might consider is IF your insurance is valid if you were to operate intentionally "out-of-license-class"..........

Drive on..........(Take care......)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

Yes insurance valid. Registration will be next week.

Chances are you'll be fine. But the key word here is CHANCES.

The world isn't what it used to be for sure. if a insurance company can find a loophole to not pay a claim good chance they might not pay.

If you hurt somebody there is a very good chance they will come after your assets for your driving with the wrong license.

Chances of you having a accident are low. But then again how much time have you had in a truck like this??

Think about every time you bought or rented a new car.

How long did it take for you to get used to it??

I have driven a lot of different trucks over the years and the first day at least for me is a training day. And the most likely day I could have a problem.

CA is the big pain state I know. But when I took my test many years ago, the first ??? Asked is how did the truck get here today?? I found the same truer for my children when they got their class C.

Personally I have way to much to loose taking CHANCES these days. I would find someone with the proper license to take a ride with you for a good lunch maybe??

Just my opinion

Chances are you'll be fine. But the key word here is CHANCES.

The world isn't what it used to be for sure. if a insurance company can find a loophole to not pay a claim good chance they might not pay.

If you hurt somebody there is a very good chance they will come after your assets for your driving with the wrong license.

Chances of you having a accident are low. But then again how much time have you had in a truck like this??

Think about every time you bought or rented a new car.

How long did it take for you to get used to it??

I have driven a lot of different trucks over the years and the first day at least for me is a training day. And the most likely day I could have a problem.

CA is the big pain state I know. But when I took my test many years ago, the first ??? Asked is how did the truck get here today?? I found the same truer for my children when they got their class C.

Personally I have way to much to loose taking CHANCES these days. I would find someone with the proper license to take a ride with you for a good lunch maybe??

Just my opinion

That is exactly what I did. I had my friend with a CDL drive my truck from CA to AZ and Back to CA. Once I got the MH conversion done and titled in California, I was able to drive it with my AZ license because the MH stayed in California but I lived in AZ.

The reason I brought up insurance into this thread is that without Insurance the HDT "adventure" is just a dream........

I am somewhat amazed that folks (us HDT'ers) buy Class 7-8 trucks and use these for.......Recreation......

"Grumps" would likely wet himself laughing if he were alive, he would chuckle and say, "whats next......recreational tax preparation......

I have rambled about HDT Insurance before on a couple of threads but maybe this might call for a short rerun.

Just focus out......can you think of a smaller "insurance pool" than the RV HDT..........we are almost " a invisible insurance pool" due to our tiny population...........Maybe.......

What is insurance?

Answer: Risk hedging.

So what are the RV HDT risks.......many and varied

What are the "Exposures-to-risk" of RV-HDT's........sometimes less than average commercial trucking but some risks are unique to RV "adventures".....

What are the "Exposures-to-risk" regarding RV-HDT operators.......Varies widely.......I for one would freeze to death in the shadow of the millions of miles of Jeff and Bronchauler........I strive to try to be extra-conservative with the Dollytrolley since I am likely never to pile on too many miles in the future.

So what advantages does our tiny "HDT insurance pool" have........

Likely our average yearly LOW-Miles are a leading factor in our "Exposure-ratings"

Mature average age may be a positive factor in our "Exposure-ratings"

Overall many RV folks tend to lavish much attention to caring for their vehicles and this may lead to positive "Exposure-ratings"

Now the not-so-good-news........

Being a member of a "tiny-insurance-pool" is a lot like being one of the smallest fish in the ocean........we are expendable.......

IF every HDT insurer were to cancel every HDT policy tomorrow, it would not even be a blip-on-the-insurance-industry-radar-screen......

What makes Insurers unhappy.........simple........excess-risk.

Excess-risks history has proven..... leads to excess claims.

So what "tools" do insurers have to deal with policy holders.......many.

"Exposure" may be limited by low coverage & benefit limits.

"Exposure" may be limited by high premiums for limited coverage.

"Exposure" may be limited by elevated training and certification limits for given coverage.

"Exposure" may be limited by what ever the insurer desires.......

What are a few no-no's regarding insurance.......

DUI............Very BAD Exposure

Excess speed citations........Bad "Exposure"

Fraud.........Bad.......Very Bad

Too many claims.......Maybe bad "Exposure" but also bad for business

"Intentional illegal operations"........."Often ground for denied coverage and immediate cancellation coverage"

"Other conditions"..........just try to muddle your way through the 60 to 100 pages of "conditions and exclusions" in your current policy.

So am a Insurance expert..........Hardly........

Am I a Insurance power-user........maybe in my past life in "Adverse-Risk-Operations"...

So where are my ramblings leading.........well it seems to me that we are all in a very "small-HDT-insurance-pool" together so..... be careful how much we pee in this pool...........the plug could be pulled quickly......

Drive on..........(Keep our "exposure" under.....control)

My impression of the process, though, is that the DPS is more concerned that you're making a timely effort to "get legal" than they are looking for an opportunity to ticket you for operating out of classification. After all, no one ever has their rig driven to the exam center for their driving test by someone with a Class A license, so by definition, 100% of the candidates for a Class A license are in violation when they show up for their test.

Negatory on that! In IL at least, if you show up for your Class A driving test (or ANY driving Test) without a properly licensed driver getting you there it is an automatic fail. You must "be delivered" for the test by another individual who already holds the proper licence for your vehicle. (Think 16yo with a permit; they are not allowed to drive down alone to take the test. Why should a Class A be any different?) The DMV stressed this to me several times. I ended up hiring a neighbor who had a class A to ride with me down to the DMV. And they did check. Not saying it doesn't happen, and other states may be different, but not at our DMV!

No camper at present.

Way too many farm machines to maintain.

Texas is quite different on that point, Jeff, and my comment to Glenn was certainly Texas-specific, since his question was about obtaining an upgraded license upon his return to Texas.

I agree that appearing for a driver's examination without being in full compliance of the conditions of one's Learner's Permit is typically an automatic fail, but in the case of upgrading from a Class C License to an Exempt Class A, the Texas DPS is far more pragmatic than would be the case for someone on a Learner's Permit testing for their first Operator's License -- but it's also unlikely that a candidate for a Class A or B Exempt license is going to be a young, inexperienced driver anyway. In fact, to my knowledge, there is no "Learner's Permit" available for the Class A Exempt license. When we became Texans, I exchanged my basic Pennsylvania DL for a Texas Class C license, was told what to study for the Class A Exempt written test, and was told to come back when I was prepared to take the written test -- no special "Learner' classification was provided for.

Phil

2002 Teton Royal Aspen

2003 Kenworth T2000 - Cat C12 380/430 1450/1650, FreedomLine, 3.36 - TOTO . . . he's not in Kansas anymore.

ET Air Hitch

Archived