Mandatory mechanical safety inspections class 7 & 8 trucks

noteven

No. It varies from state to state. Generally if the state has a vehicle inspection requirement, it applies to all vehicles. I am not aware of a state that singles out certain classes of vehicles.

There is however the FMCSA regulation requiring all commercial vehicles over 10,000 #'s to be inspected annually. Those inspections can be completed by any "qualified" inspector as defined in the regulations. By their definition I am a qualified inspector because I attended technical school 40 some years ago and have much experience.

You can purchase the sticker and insprction form produced by JJ Keller in most truckstops. $3.99. Other than occasionally checking for the sticker, the authorities rarely check to if the inspector is indeed qualified.

Jeff Beyer temporarily retired from Trailer Transit
2000 Freightliner Argosy Cabover
2008 Work and Play 34FK
Homebase NW Indiana, no longer full time

California requires an inspection every 90 days for commercial over 26,000#s.

"It is better to have more truck than you need than to need more truck than you have"

2001 Volvo 660, Cummins 400 ISX, Eaton 3 Peddle Auto Shift    
2014 Fuzion 40' Toyhauler
2015 Smart Car                                                                                                                                                                          

Do all States require class 7 and 8 trucks in commercial service to have complete mechanical fitness safety inspections documented every 6 to 12 months?

Since this is an RV forum and 99.97% of the vehicles here are not in commercial service (Jeff being the only one I know of) I am curious about the reasoning behind your question.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

You must follow each state. I know many of the states out east require yearly inspections for all vehicles.

Here in Downstate IL, any vehicle licensed for over 8000 lbs is required to have a safety inspection This includes 1 ton dually PUs in personal use! RV's are exempt, if I read the rules correctly. This is the nitty gritty...gotta talk to your local DVM. The rules can change from one county to the next!

No camper at present.

Way too many farm machines to maintain.

Since this is an RV forum and 99.97% of the vehicles here are not in commercial service (Jeff being the only one I know of) I am curious about the reasoning behind your question.

If a used truck comes off a fleet based in a jurisdiction that requires safety inspections I was thinking it might have received good maintenance. The records may be available from the fleet etc.

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

If a used truck comes off a fleet based in a jurisdiction that requires safety inspections I was thinking it might have received good maintenance. The records may be available from the fleet etc.

Not a bad way of thinking. At least in California when companies know they have a big inspection coming up they do put extra effort into maintaining the trucks at those times.

Also word gets around as to what officers are looking for at the scales and a lot of times you get new people in there and they're looking for the same thing on every truck.

Right now at our scales tire are the thing getting a lot of trucks red tagged ( not ours) seems drivers forgot how to thump a tire or look for nails in them.

Not bad logic :)

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Not bad logic :)

Assuming the company accountant isn't the one driving the decision to sell. It could be cheaper to sell today, rather than repair, and continue to use. Rinse, lather, repeat. At some point, they're going to sell every truck they buy.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Whatever "safety" inspections are required either state or Federal are absolute minimums. A typical commercial tractor puts on 100k miles annually. If the owner used that as the interval of maintenance for any of the systems of the truck it is a worn out dangerous mess.

Example: Penske truck leasing uses a 25k interval for pre 2009 tractors. At that time the oil is changed and chassis lubricated. But via reports of mileage taken at fuel fill ups or other times the tractor visits a Penske facility other pm items are done at recommended intervals I.e. air filter change at need (according to restriction gauge) or maybe davco fuel filter by looking at level. Add daily pretrips legally required and maintenance intervals of all types are much more frequent that the annual inspections.

In short, either the operator has a decent system in place for maintenance or doesn't. But the annual inspections don't shed much light on the topic.

Jeff Beyer temporarily retired from Trailer Transit
2000 Freightliner Argosy Cabover
2008 Work and Play 34FK
Homebase NW Indiana, no longer full time

We are not in a hurry to locate a truck. I'm considering options between a southern or PNW US truck from a jurisdiction where mechanical fitness and safety inspection intervals might not be mandatory vs a western Canada truck where the inspections are, but our conditions can be much harsher. As mentioned by Jeff I'm thinking that many commercial operators know the value of good maintenance even when it isn't forced on them. Like maybe a guy running a 2000 Argosy in daily service in 2015 :D

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

In the Commonwealth of Virginia, it is against the law for dealers (new and used) to sell a vehicle unless it can pass the state inspection criteria. This is at least some comfort because key points like tires, brakes, exhaust, glass, lights, steering, wipers, mirrors, seat belts and more have been determined to meet at least minimum safety standards. If they do not measure up, the parts must be replaced or repaired. This law does not apply to personal sales. The annual DOT inspection meets the inspection requirments of the state inspection so you do not need to have it inspected twice - but you must still pay the $50 state inspection fee to get the required state sticker. (cost for duallys and vehicles over 10,000# - cars & trailers are $17 anually)

You are correct that SD does not require safety inspections on recrational vehicles and non-commercial vehicles. The DOT inspection is required for commercial vehicles.

300.JPG.c2a50e50210ede7534c4c440c7f9aa80.JPG

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

"The Great White" - 2004 Volvo VNL670, D12, 10-speed, converted to single axle pulling a Keystone Cambridge 5th wheel, 40', 4 slides and about 19,000# with empty tanks.

ARS - WB4BZX, Electrical Engineer, Master Electrician, D.Ed., Professor Emeritus - Happily Retired!

Jeff, Mine as well as one other on the forums trucks came from RDO in Fargo ND. Mine was one of 61 returned fleet of grainhaulers. The drivers were penalized if the fuel consumption was out of line. Also the ECU is able to monitor how efficiently you drive. These little wineglass symbols show up from time to time on the screen. The Computer was downloaded, something like 87 pages of info as I recall. It told of things if they were outside normal. It also told of the % age of time the truck was run in the sweet spot. The truck also had a speed limit set, at least that's what I think it means.

Yes, because it was part of a fleet, the service was kept up to date.

The salesman was asked to find the pick of the litter for me and I've not been disappointed. It was a smokers truck but when I took it and since then I have never detected smoke odor and I am not a smoker. There are ways of getting rid of smoke. IMO, too much emphasis is spent on locating non smoking trucks. Trust me, I've had renters and can detect smoke if they light up in the house or close to it.

RDO detailed the truck, pressure washed the frame and painted it. checked all the fluids etc. Jack also, at that time, made specific reference to several tests the truck needed to pass. Can't remember them now....water something maybe, oil test, dyno may have been another but all came in positive.

IN AB, on inspection, the tire tread needs to be at least 50% which is what they were so I asked him to replace the steers with new Michelins which he did at his cost.

In Canada the truck needs to go through the Registrar of Imported vehicles test which makes sure it conforms to Canadian requirements The Toyota a place did mine. They do a cursory check and just verify items like mileage, vin #S etc. Then the vehicle must go through an out of Province inspection. About 500 bucks. Maclin in Calgary did mine. Again, it passed.

Make no changes to the truck before it goes thru these inspections or you will find yourself in a world of hurt and may have to return the truck to the USA. Remove the commercial hitch but leave it at that.

One person did something a year or 2 ago and was faced with returning the truck to the US. Never did hear the results.

Bison Trucking is one outfit I'd stay away from as well as anything that smells of curry. CN being one in Calgary. One guy had his trailer lites flicking on and off with a bad connection and another was driving down the road with his back doors swinging open and closed. A third one drove under a low concrete structure at a transit station and jammed the trailer under. Another couldn't back his rig up at a truck stop in Golden thoroughly ticking of an Eastern European driver and causing others to scatter. Obviously trucks in that country have no reverse.

After all that is done, follow what RV haulers does for a PDI. RDO did not replace filters, so that is one thing to get done on completion of the inspections.

So mine came from a well maintained fleet. There has been some issues, but I jump all over them in a hurry, too much at stake.

Roger

So mine came from a well maintained fleet. There has been some issues, but I jump all over them in a hurry, too much at stake.

Roger

No matter where you get your truck you should be prepared to have some issues. No truck is prefect. I recommend that you keep at least $8K in reserve for REPAIRS. Not for improvements. If you get a good truck you may not need to tap into that for awhile, but you need cash in reserve for repairs. Don't spend it all on the truck, or you could be in a bind. And EXPECT to have to make repairs. I also recommend you do a complete maintenance on the truck - all fluids, filters, etc. That way you know where you stand. That can cost you some, but it is money well spent.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Noteven, haha.

I can't stand the stuff. Did a stitch overseas and ate curried chicken for a week. just about gagged so I ate a bunch of tomatoes & pineapple winding up with a mouth full of canker sores.

With renos, when it gets into painted drywall and carpet we have to paint walls with Kilz.

Archived