Dash cams

HamRad

I've been reading a lot about dash cams. There seems to be a great number of them. Is anyone actually using one? If so will you share your experiences? Thanks. Dennis

Trailer: Montana 5th wheel, model 3582Rl, model year 2012

Truck: Ford 450 PSD Super Duty, 2002 Crew Cab, Long bed, 4:88 rear end, last of the 7.3 engines, Automatic Transmission.

You buy it, stick a memory card in it, plug it in and attach to the windshield.

It records. I hope to never need it.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

Got a relatively cheap one of eBay 3 years ago. Got some great video clips on an Alaska caravan. Still works great but battery won't hold charge more than a few days so after the coach sits a bit it looses the date which screws up the recording loop. Guess I could put it in the car when we aren't rv'ing. I saw a few models recently at Walmart, so will likely buy my next one there.

Paul (KE5LXU), former fulltimer, now sometimer...

'03 Winnebago Ultimate Advantage 40E

'05 Honda Odyssey

Escapees, FMCA, WIT, SMART

http://www.pjrider.com

Picked up a cheap one at a truck stop. Runs while we are moving, plugs into laptop to see the recordings. As Mark said, hope I never need it.

Dennis & Nancy
Tucson, AZ in winter, on the road in summer.

1999 Volvo 610 "Bud" 425 HP Volvo, Super 10 spd.
2005 Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
2013 smart fortwo CityFlame riding on Bud
(Replaced '05 smart first loaded in '06

and '11 smart that gave it's life to save me!)
Our Travel Blog

I've got a couple of them, one in the coach and one in the toad, so I don't have to switch between vehicles. I originally bought one that was over $100, but it didn't work at all. Returned it, and got a cheaper one that has worked well. Got the second one from one of those deal-a-day sites for under $25, and it also works great. Neither came with a memory card, so got the 32gb cards for video storage from WalMart. They both record video and audio, but don't record vehicle speed. I don't depend on the unit batteries, as I keep them plugged into the power outlets.

Mike and Retha Hopkins

2014 Fleetwood Discovery 40G

The Spy Tec G1W available from Amazon for about $60 is a well regarded dash camera. I specify Amazon because there are a lot of copycat bootleg - cameras out there so your best chance of getting the real thing is to order from them.

I might mention though that selling them for that price does not guarantee a heavy-duty durable product. The first one I had I sat down on ever so slightly and it became intermittent. The second one I bought ripped the power connector out of it when the suction cup on the windshield let go. I'm definitely getting another one because from what I know about it it's one heck of a good camera for the price but just be aware. Treat it gently - or don't be a clutz.

I use them in all my vehicles. There are reasonably priced versions on Amazon. You can get something pretty nice for under $100. Read the reviews. You can start with THIS ONE.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

I recommend going to https://dashcamtalk.com/ to learn how each model does. The one Jack has is a bit better than the G1W series and more discrete, but costs more. I have two G1W series dashcams, a G1WH in the motorhome and a G1Wc in the Chevrolet Equinox. They both work well. I put class 4 32GB microSD cards in both, since I learned the hard way that a class 10 is sometimes too fast for the chipset.

I did a two part YouTube review of the G1Ws a while ago (and my channel is not monetized, so I make no money if you watch), http://youtu.be/n-ueZABUe-A (part 1, abotu 10 minutes) and http://youtu.be/aV1wA0uwwcY (part 2, about 15 minutes).

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

I've been shopping dash cams for quite a while now. I tried one cheapie that fell apart, literally, in a couple of trial runs, and have found the only decent ones seem to be in the $60-$100 range and up.

I've thought about getting a GoPro, but I think there's a much better way. I drive using my cell phone via Bluetooth to a Jabra Cruiser Speakerphone, that rebroadcasts the audio to the vehicle audio via FM transmitter that works great. I listen to 50GB of my music mp3 on the micro SD in the phone, and I use Here+ for navigation speaking turns etc. better than my Garmins did because she mutes the music automatically when speaking and resumes the music. I liked the Google default Nav program in the old days but for the last 18 months or so I've really taken to the Windows phone features especially Nav. I downloaded all the North American maps to my phone free, so when in a cell dead spot navigation is uninterrupted. Cortana also asks if I want her to read any texts that come in, and will take ask me if I want to reply, all without looking at the phone or typing or being distracted by no more than talking to my wife.

My phone has GPS, and is called the "Selfie" because the front phone camera is 5mp and the rear main camera is 6.7 with Carl Zeiss optics that make terrific photos. I don't think there would be much problem in making an app so my phone, which is mounted under my rear view mirror is in position anyway, could also be a dash cam. All it would take is setting aside, say, one GB of SD card space as the "loop" area to record ten minutes or allow settings for more. I could free up more GB as the SD card is 64 GB.

Why should I mess with another GPS, another inferior camcorder with much inferior lens to mine, when I already have al, that in one. Sure, back in the flip phone days I had a Bluetooth earpiece, and a separate Garmin 3.5" screen then 5" screen GPS'. Heck, my ASUS Windows tablet has GPS and cameras!

So why aren't there any dash cam apps that both work well, and are available in all three mobile OS'?

Bill good video review! Thanks!

If I decide to stop waiting for a decent app (yes I've seen a couple with terrible reviews) I'll look hard at the two models Jack and Bill gave first hand feedback on.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

COSTCO is running a special this month on the CDR840 Cobra drive HD #915321 for $79.99 that is after a $20.00 off in store purchase. Comes with a 8 GB MicroSD memory card. Will take a 32 GB chip.This unit has a built in GPS recording system. Bought one. I have not tried it yet.

Safe Travels!

SKP #89742 - Lifetime membership - Member of the SKP Class of 2007
Good Sam Club - Lifetime Member
DataStorm #5423
Passport America - Lifetime Member
Sons Of The American Revolution (SAR) - Lifetime Member
American Legion - USAF - Lifetime Member
Rotary Club Member - 30 years

Escapee CARE Supporter

National Wildlife Refuge Volunteer

I am trying to understand the need for a dash cam. Are they legal as evidence in a accident? How would it stop a thief? What di we use them for.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

Rich I would like one because I could replay some of the crazy things other drivers do. It could provide some very interesting entertainment. <G> Of course it would be nice to have in case you are in an accident ------ Of course one would hope that it would show the other vehicle at fault. Otherwise I guess one could "lose" it!

But no one I know would knowingly destroy vital evidence. ;) Dennis

On Edit: One too many "o's" in "lose"...... :D

Truck: Ford 450 PSD Super Duty, 2002 Crew Cab, Long bed, 4:88 rear end, last of the 7.3 engines, Automatic Transmission.

After a terrifying white knuckle complete stop on the interstate this summer due to the way an idiot entered the interstate. I absolutely want one and am actively shopping. Oh We missed him by about 2".

So I'm going to check some of these examples out

Ron & Linda

Class of 2007
2000 Monaco Diplomat

2005 Honda Element

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are" Theodore Roosevelt

"We can't control the wind, but we can adjust our sail"

"When man gave up his freedom to roam the earth, he gave up his soul for a conditioned ego that is bound by time and the fear of losing its attachments."

I use one in my vehicles and turn in the video to the local Sheriffs department, I never see the same idiots pulling their last stunt like passing on yellow lines and running stop signs. I still see the same cars on my to and from work, they are just better behaved.

U.S. Navy GSMC(SW) (RETIRED) 1993-11-01, 26 years service with 23 years of that active and 3 years reserve.  Now retired after 20 years at local hospital in the maintenance department.

1995 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser 34' DP W/6Spd Allison.  Road Master Sterling All terrain, Air Force One, towing new 2019 Jeep Cherokee Elite

HamRad, on 05 Nov 2015 - 5:21 PM, said:

Rich I would like one because I could replay some of the crazy things other drivers do. It could provide some very interesting entertainment. <G> Of course it would be nice to have in case you are in an accident ------ Of course one would hope that it would show the other vehicle at fault. Otherwise I guess one could "lose" it!

But no one I know would knowingly destroy vital evidence. ;) Dennis

On Edit: One too many "o's" in "lose"...... :D

I'm with Dennis. I am seeing more crazies on the road than ever, and I live in Lousy-ana! If an accident sure. But I've never had an accident where I was driving. I want to do compilations for fun. And maybe turn some in to the Sheriff's Dept.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Thanks folks for all the replies. I really appreciate the information. I am starting to feel like I could make an "informed" decision regarding a Dash Cam. Dennis

I am trying to understand the need for a dash cam. Are they legal as evidence in a accident? How would it stop a thief? What di we use them for.

A while back there seemed to be a rash of incidents where a car load of low life's would pull in front of a slow moving semi and slam on the brakes to cause a collision, then claim a number of back injuries to collect insurance. Truckers started using dash cams as evidence. I have read articles where they stand up in court cases.

Some of us with HDTs decided to use them for the same reasons. Any RV can be vulnerable to the "looks like deep pockets to sue" crowd.

Dennis & Nancy
Tucson, AZ in winter, on the road in summer.

1999 Volvo 610 "Bud" 425 HP Volvo, Super 10 spd.
2005 Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
2013 smart fortwo CityFlame riding on Bud
(Replaced '05 smart first loaded in '06

and '11 smart that gave it's life to save me!)
Our Travel Blog

The friend who got me into having a dashcam says he got one due to how many arrogant and/or inattentive bike riders are on the streets around him. I make occasional YouTube videos and do use dashcam footage. In Russia, about everyone has a dashcam now, mostly to protect themselves from corrupt police.

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

Trucking companies are using them more and more. Swift is in the process, as are others, in putting foward and driver oriented cameras in the entire 15,000 truck fleet.

The driver camera may come back to bite them. During discovery, if the driver was doing something wrong(texting forexample), they could be compelled to release both video feeds, hanging themselves. The question is who owns the data and under what circumstances they would have to give it up. If it didn't exist, there wouldn't be an issue.

In the mean time, plenty of Russian Youtube videos to pass the time...

Jeff Beyer temporarily retired from Trailer Transit
2000 Freightliner Argosy Cabover
2008 Work and Play 34FK
Homebase NW Indiana, no longer full time

We do have the rear view cam and have since day one 9 years ago.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

Archived