Dash cams

HamRad

You guys got me looking again. I have a cheapo that I repaired after reading this thread, and it works! 1080 and it uses a 16GB loop and plays back only by taking the card out and placing in a computer.

I just found the Garmin 20: http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Dash-Standalone-Driving-Recorder/dp/B00HFMN46S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1447031750&sr=8-1&keywords=garmin+dash+cam%E2%84%A2+20

They have navigation GPS' with built in dash cams: http://g.factoryoutletstore.com/cat/39075/Garmin-Dash-Backup-Cameras.html

$360 buckaroos?

Anyway good thread.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

I got one from COSTCO a week ago I think it was like $119 was plug and play pretty much. So far so good. Only problem I have. Want to view video on laptop and for whatever reason it does not like Avi. I guess will have down load something that will.

2019 Thor Chateau 28E on a Ford E450 chassis. Maybe awhile but will get a new picture forgive one up there it is my old rig.

I got one from COSTCO a week ago I think it was like $119 was plug and play pretty much. So far so good. Only problem I have. Want to view video on laptop and for whatever reason it does not like Avi. I guess will have down load something that will.

https://mpc-hc.org/

Plays just about anything and free

Ray & Deb - Shelbi the Aussie & Lexington the cat
2004 Volvo 630 500HP ISX "Bertha D" - 10 Speed-MaxBrake -ET hitch.SOLD
2009 Designer 35RLSA SOLD
Fulltiming since '07 - stopped 2016

Ray,

Thanks, good link that one is new to me, I do run all Windows, even my phones. But some folks here are running Macs, and they have issues I hear with AVI files..

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

I now plan to buy and use a dash-cam. We were enroute home last month on a state highway. A Range Rover passed our rig while on a sweeping right hand curve over a gentle hill crest = no passing zone. I only realized it when an oncoming car braked and pulled over on the berm to avoid the fool. A dash-cam would have captured the vehicle and license #. I'm sure the state policeman I met a few miles later would have liked the video, as the Range Rover was stopped there too.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

I had one. Now I have the new Garmin Nuvicam LMTHD (linked a couple of posts above) which has one built in. Less window clutter and it continuously records the co-ordinates as well. I really like it. I am a wagon master for RV Caravans in Mexico and its great for building & correcting road logs as I can pull stills of major turns along with their co-ordinates for building the logs.

For example there is a brand new highway in the Morelia area. So new its not yet showing in my GPS. I took it for the first time today. I wanted to get a photo of the exit onto it (yellow sign) plus the co-ordinates of where it is for future caravans. I simply found the appopriate spot in the video and took a screen capture shot. Date, time, co-ordinates & my speed (Yes, Mexico does have modern freeways)

moreliacuota.jpg

Paul Beddows

Summer-Abbotsford BC, Winter Jalisco Mexico

Co-Founder of NATCOA

Wagon Master for Caravanas de Mexico RV Caravans

2010 Majestic Class C

I've been looking at them for awhile and finally broke down and purchased the Street Guardian SG9665GC. I was originally thinking of going with a A118/B40, but there are so many knock-offs that it's difficult to tell what you're actually getting.. and the optics n' innards on the street guardian are a vast upgrade.

I think I've got a handle on it, but I do have one question. The SG has motion detection but not "parking mode". If my understanding is correct... if I hard wire the unit and my rig is shut down the camera will still record when it detects motion, but without "parking mode" it doesn't buffer any video prior to motion activation. So you can see an 'event' as it happens, but nothing leading up to it like some other dash cams. Is that correct?

On edit: I should have mentioned... if you're looking to pick up the SG9665GC, don't purchase through Amazon. Go directly to Pier28 to order. During checkout use the promo code "usdashgc" for $10 off the purchase price and/or "enjoyfreeshipping" for free UPS ground shipping. I don't know if 2 promo codes can be used on the same online order, but I would certainly give it a try. I actually called in and placed the order direct. They gave me the $10 off + free shipping, but I was also ordering the CPL. I don't know if that had any bearing, but it works for me.

We use a G1W-C which is widely available on the web for a relatively low price.

Our main use of the dashcam is to record our motorhome travels and make up little video clips to remind us of some of the highlights such as this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QakJGvGdpN0

Archived