Anyone bring a car along with their fifth wheel?

jcberlin

Hello All,

We will be hitting the road in the next few months and are trying to decide if we should bring our car along. I am not looking for towing advice...we would drive it along with us as we moved. Looking at some of the state parks in AZ there does not seem to be any additional charge for a second vehicle if it comes from the same address...not sure about other states. I would like to hear from any one who does this or know of someone...looking for the pros and cons.

Thanks,

Carl

Looking at some of the state parks in AZ there does not seem to be any additional charge for a second vehicle if it comes from the same address

I don't know about state parks, but many other places charge extra if the car isn't TOWED. We got hit with that in a USFS campground one year, so there are some places we won't go because of this rule (we don't tow our car and doubt we'll ever spend the money to have it set up to tow).

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

We are currently in a State Park in Hillsdale, Kansas. We don't drive our car in, and we don't tow it in. As you can see in the picture below, it sets up on our bed of the truck. Even so, we need to pay for a park pass for the car as well as for the big truck that tows our fiver. We buy a year long park pass for the state of Kansas for $25 each.

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
2016 DRV Mobile Suites, Houston
HERO Makers Ministry

30495168531_143d8fb8d6_m.jpg

To us, driving from place to place and viewing the different scenery, etc. is part of the trip. We could never drive separately.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

We drove a car along one year when we had a need for the additional transportation and hated doing it. We made it a bit less unpleasant by getting some good FRS radios so we could at least talk to each other while driving. In the same situation we'd do it again but we'd really try to avoid needing the two drivers.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

We tow our Jeep with us. We often use the car to visit the local area. The side trips are part of the whole part of visiting this great country that we live in today.

Safe Travels!

SKP #89742 - Lifetime membership - Member of the SKP Class of 2007
Good Sam Club - Lifetime Member
DataStorm #5423
Passport America - Lifetime Member
Sons Of The American Revolution (SAR) - Lifetime Member
American Legion - USAF - Lifetime Member
Rotary Club Member - 30 years

Escapee CARE Supporter

National Wildlife Refuge Volunteer

We have a Jeep which we do not tow. We use it extensively to sight see, drive to trailheads, and venture into towns and cities where parking is sometimes in short supply. This was a long debated topic before we hit the road but for us, it was the right decision.

We do get miffed when we are charged for two vehicles when entering National Parks to camp and at least once in a commercial park (the truck never leaves the camp site) but we have not regretted our choice.

Geoff , Sid and the "Buds" - Dudley and Chico the Amazon Parrots and Fred the Iguana

"Peapod" 2012 DRV Elite 38RSSB3; "Gus" 2004 Freightliner Columbia CL112, 172" WB, MBE4000 450/1550, Freedomline 12spd

Life is too important to be taken seriously. Oscar Wilde

A fair number of people do this. It seems to me that the people that are happiest at it do not drive real far each day when they move. Something to consider.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

I don't know if all Tx SP's do this but when I volunteered at one there was and extra charge for a 3rd vehicle even if it was a motorcycle when camping. To some degree this was an attempt to keep vehicle traffic and parking to a lower level. One problem is there is not room at many sites to park more than 2 vehicles. Invariably someone will park the extra vehicle in a nearby site that is not occupied at the moment and that creates the issue of what happens when that site is rented by someone and they show up and can't get in. Someone has to try and find who it belongs to and get them to move it and of course more times than not they are somewhere else like the swimming area. You can see this can be a major problem when the park is very busy. There is only so much staff available to deal with a problem like this. And it seems no one can understand why they can't just park in the grass. :huh: After all how can that hurt. Of course this was a really busy park on most spring and summer weekends even though they had 355 campsites. You should have seen us trying to get them all in the gates and registered most Friday nights and don't even think about holidays.

They also had a $5 dump fee IF you were not camping and you should have heard some folks pitch a fit about that.

Smart car in the toy hauler and so for we have not had to pay extra for it. I have not tried Federal or State has my combination is 67 feet. Typically Federal and State cannot accommodate that length. I know some can but just for most part do not try.

2019 Thor Chateau 28E on a Ford E450 chassis. Maybe awhile but will get a new picture forgive one up there it is my old rig.

If your main concern is being charged for the extra vehicle then yes you will find that some parks do charge. If on the other hand you are concerned more about the pros and cons of a second vehicle, more info is needed. What is your tow vehicle for the 5er? What is it's mpg bobtail? What is the second vehicle and it's mpg? Is spouse comfortable driving alone? Who will lead? How will you communicate? When we towed with a GMC Duramax dually we used it as our daily driver because it got reasonable mpg bobtail and wasn't too big of a PITA. Now that we use a HDT to tow and it only gets about 10 mpg bobtail and Kathy's vehicle gets 20 mpg we take it and use it for our daily driver. She doesn't mind driving alone and leads and gives me directions on the CB. I find it easier with her out front and I can concentrate on driving and avoiding all the aggressive idiots in the four wheelers. She likes it because she can listen to her music while traveling. I don't want the radio or anything else on when towing, I want to hear what the truck and fiver are doing, just my worry-wart nature. While traveling I prefer to not unhook the 5er so the extra vehicle makes going out for dinner easier. Once we arrive at our destination we have transportation and the big truck goes in storage. In the end it will be a personal decision based on your set up, personal travel style, comfort level for this type of arrangement, and tolerance for the possible additional costs. Best Wishes, Jay

2015 Continental Coach Elegance by Forks RV, 41'; 2015 FL M2 112, DD 13, by 2L Custom Trucks; Trailer Saver air hitch; '48 Navigoddess with a Rand McNally GPS

To us, driving from place to place and viewing the different scenery, etc. is part of the trip. We could never drive separately.

We are no longer fulltimers, and we don't do much "viewing the different scenery" any longer. We drive south in the fall and north in the spring, staying in pretty much the same places on our trips north and south. Like Stanley, we have FRS radios to keep in touch. While I do miss traveling together, I also like the freedom to listen to what I want to listen to on the radio as we travel! ;)

Also, we can drive back and forth between Washington State and Arizona for many years (I've calculated between 7-11 years) for what it would cost us to set the car up for towing. Based on our ages, particularly DH's, who knows if we'll still be RVing in 7+ years.

Besides, the OP was asking about campgrounds that charge extra for a car that isn't towed in, which was the question I was answering.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

Smart car in the toy hauler and so for we have not had to pay extra for it. I have not tried Federal or State has my combination is 67 feet. Typically Federal and State cannot accommodate that length. I know some can but just for most part do not try.

Bob how is it working out with the Smart in the toyhauler? I have a Fuzion 405 with 12' garage and was thinking about doing the same as you. Also I believe the Smart is rear engine, do you drive straight in or back in to get the weight forward.

Thanks

Dennis

"It is better to have more truck than you need than to need more truck than you have"

2001 Volvo 660, Cummins 400 ISX, Eaton 3 Peddle Auto Shift    
2014 Fuzion 40' Toyhauler
2015 Smart Car                                                                                                                                                                          

We did this, because there were too many of us to fit in the tow vehicle. DH would drive the tow vehicle/5th wheel, and I would follow behind in the van. (The kids got split up between the two vehicles.) We had walkie-talkies so we could communicate with each other between the vehicles. I don't remember ever being charged for having the extra vehicle, though sometimes it was a pain to try to figure out where to park the extra car. Usually campgrounds had overflow parking, and we would just park there. The only time I can recall that it was a problem was when we were at the Grand Canyon. We had to park the extra car in the employee parking lot, which apparently annoyed the employees.

Stephen & Karen and our six boys, ages 21, 21, 19, 17, 14, & 11
Stephen - Military retiree (as of summer 2012) & current DOI employee (Big Bend National Park)
Karen - Homeschooling stay-at-home mom & veteran
San Antonio, Texas

Fulltimed May 2013 - July 2014 (yes, all eight of us!)
Open Range "Rolling Thunder" (H396RGR - fifth wheel toy hauler bunkhouse) - SOLD
Ford F-350 diesel dually - for the camper
Ford E-350 fifteen passenger van - for the crew

Our unfinished travel blog: http://coach-and-six.blogspot.com/

In six years of owning our car have only had a couple of parks charge for an extra vehicle. The wife leads and I follow. We have two way radios. Car averages 35 mpg and is a blast to drive when out sight-seeing. Even if we had a LDT I'd still keep the car.

We never leave home without our car "Buster" the Smart Car. The wife doesn't care to ride around our destinations in the big truck.

0921141456_zpsoojglvrg.jpg

NICE set up. You must be maxing the weight on the deck with the car back there.

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

Hello All,

We will be hitting the road in the next few months and are trying to decide if we should bring our car along. I am not looking for towing advice...we would drive it along with us as we moved. Looking at some of the state parks in AZ there does not seem to be any additional charge for a second vehicle if it comes from the same address...not sure about other states. I would like to hear from any one who does this or know of someone...looking for the pros and cons.

Thanks,

Carl

Some states it is illegal to triple tow. When we full time our plan is for my wife to follow me in the car. with our furry friends. I think the most we will move is 160 miles at a time. Pick a spot to live for 30 days and explore a 60-75 mile radius. Then pick up and move 150-160 miles and repeat.

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

Thank you all for the responses. Our plan is to only drive short distances between stays and enjoy the areas we are in. It sounds like keeping the car would not be a big mistake....one less thing to get rid of in our downsizing. House is sold, furniture is sold/given away, family memorabilia vacuum packed and ready for storage...all I have to do now is fire my employer :D

See you on the road,

Carl

NICE set up. You must be maxing the weight on the deck with the car back there.

On my 2010 Fuzion I think the ramp is rated at 3000lbs and I know it says 1000lbs per wheel position. Mine does not have the patio option which is rated higher, so its well within the ratings.

"It is better to have more truck than you need than to need more truck than you have"

2001 Volvo 660, Cummins 400 ISX, Eaton 3 Peddle Auto Shift    
2014 Fuzion 40' Toyhauler
2015 Smart Car                                                                                                                                                                          

We carry our Jeep on the truck. While it is rare, when we are asked to pay for a 2nd vehicle I explain that once the Jeep is offloaded the "motorhome" (perceived as the truck) does not move again until we leave. So it is no different than a person in a Class A pulling a trailer with their vehicle on it. Once explained like this I can typically get the 2nd vehicle fee waived.

I understand that you are driving the 2nd vehicle in, but if you do not intend to use the tow vehicle again until you leave it may be worth asking if the tow vehicle is not moved again until leaving if the fee still applies. Worse case they say no and you pay for the 2nd vehicle.

2017 Entegra Anthem 44A

SOLD - 2004 Volvo 780. 465hp and 10sp Auto Shift (from 2010~2017)

SOLD - 2009 Montana 3400RL

Archived