Anyone bring a car along with their fifth wheel?

jcberlin

NICE set up. You must be maxing the weight on the deck with the car back there.

The garage has a carry capacity of 3000 lbs the Smart is about 1900 lbs. The weak point is the ramp, it's a 2000 lb capacity. I just go up and down the ramp real fast... :)

2006 Freightliner M2-112 Sportchassis
2015 Keystone Raptor 412-TS
Lots of motorcycles and toys

Murfreesboro, TN.

We once unhooked the Jeep from the motorhome when entering a Glacier Nat'l Park campground. At the entrance station we were asked to pay separately for the Jeep. Instead, we re-hooked the Jeep and drove in.

Another time at a Michigan state park we were asked to pay a double entrance fee even though the Jeep was hooked to the MH. The reason? Two vehicles!

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Bob how is it working out with the Smart in the toyhauler? I have a Fuzion 405 with 12' garage and was thinking about doing the same as you. Also I believe the Smart is rear engine, do you drive straight in or back in to get the weight forward.

Thanks

Dennis

It works great and my garage is 11 foot so a little shorter than yours. I drive the smart in forward and have had no problems with the rear engine weight. Lets see my gararge and ramp are rated for 2500 lbs and Smart is less than that so no problems there.

I tire it down on all 4 wheels with ratchet straps with tire bonnets. Probably over kill but it is firmly strapped in. :)

2019 Thor Chateau 28E on a Ford E450 chassis. Maybe awhile but will get a new picture forgive one up there it is my old rig.

We carry our Jeep on the truck. While it is rare, when we are asked to pay for a 2nd vehicle I explain that once the Jeep is offloaded the "motorhome" (perceived as the truck) does not move again until we leave. So it is no different than a person in a Class A pulling a trailer with their vehicle on it. Once explained like this I can typically get the 2nd vehicle fee waived.

I understand that you are driving the 2nd vehicle in, but if you do not intend to use the tow vehicle again until you leave it may be worth asking if the tow vehicle is not moved again until leaving if the fee still applies. Worse case they say no and you pay for the 2nd vehicle.

Thanks for the tip.

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

Some states it is illegal to triple tow. When we full time our plan is for my wife to follow me in the car. with our furry friends. I think the most we will move is 160 miles at a time. Pick a spot to live for 30 days and explore a 60-75 mile radius. Then pick up and move 150-160 miles and repeat.

FYI... Tow Vehicle+trailer = 1 towed vehicle + towed vehicle = 2 towed vehicles or double tow. You would need to add another towed vehicle to be triple towing.

Jim

The garage has a carry capacity of 3000 lbs the Smart is about 1900 lbs. The weak point is the ramp, it's a 2000 lb capacity. I just go up and down the ramp real fast... :)

I checked with Keystone and according to Jason Howard, district manager, load ratings for all Raptors are 3000# ramp down and 1500# ramp in 90 degree patio position.

2011 vnl730 D13 435/1650 I-shift singled mid 2015 Keystone Raptor 425ts 2015 Smart

FYI... Tow Vehicle+trailer = 1 towed vehicle + towed vehicle = 2 towed vehicles or double tow. You would need to add another towed vehicle to be triple towing.

Jim

Yes, TV (ram 3500) - 5ver (DRV 38 RSB3) - car (mazda 3). Only the ram is running under power.

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

I checked with Keystone and according to Jason Howard, district manager, load ratings for all Raptors are 3000# ramp down and 1500# ramp in 90 degree patio position.

My Keystone Fuzion is rated at 2500 lbs per the tag in the garage area but of course nothing on the ramp. I talked to Keystone and for mine the the ramp was rated at 2500 lbs as well. Still plenty high enough for the Smart Car.

2019 Thor Chateau 28E on a Ford E450 chassis. Maybe awhile but will get a new picture forgive one up there it is my old rig.

Our Smart is big enough for two and saves money not using the tow as daily drive, never paid for extra car.

the sailor & his Lady

1998 Volvo 610 "Big Red"

2006 Newmar Kountry Aire "Mother Goose"

2013 Smart Car "Lil' Red"

" If you aren't living on the edge, you are just taking up space "

My wife drives our minivan behind us when we move. But we don't tend to move nearly as often as some, maybe 3 or 4 times a year most years. The F350 crew cab dully is fine for the occasionaly trip here or there but it gets old using it as a daily driver. Plus, my wife doesn't drive it, doesn't want to.

ETA: I don't remember of many parks charging us extra for having the van along but we do require a fairly long space if we're going to set up completely. The fiver is 39' but there is a 7' extension on the rear for a deck that comes out (makes for what looks like a covered back porch). And if we park the F350 in front of it, that's another 20' (about 4' of the bed can come back under the hitch, maybe close to 7' if I'm willing to either leave it hitched or have the trailer's hitch inside of the bed area when the truck is parked but I prefer not to do that). So we're up to 66' without the van, which is probably another 20'. If we can't park the van beside the truck, we need a site 86' long to stretch out. That is a lot longer than many sites. Some are wide enough to park the van beside the truck. And we don't have to put out the rear deck. Since we do tend to stay put in one place for longer periods of time, we do seek out places that can accomodate us easily.

I understand that you are driving the 2nd vehicle in,

I don't understand it. The car is there whether you tow it in or drive it in. We will not stay anyplace that charges extra for a car that is driven in rather than towed...learned our lesson the hard way.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

Archived