Corporate camping

Wrknrvr

We are about 90 miles north or Phoenix Az and the weather has not been what we expected. Along with that this is really not snow bird country.

So about two weeks ago we went to Apache Junction /Mesa Az to look for a spot to move to.

After visiting several parks we decided not to go there. Along with The Blue/ Brown cloud over the area, when in the campgrounds it was hard to see any mountains or open country. I have came up with a new term possibly.

Just call it Corporate camping.

Over the weekend we visited Quartzsite for two days and then stopped at the North ranch. We are now planning to go the North Ranch for the rest of the winter.

safe Travels, Vern

We're in Mesa, see the mountains every morning on my walk. We enjoy the hustle, bustle of an urban environment for a few months to shop, go to museums, concerts, wide variety of restaurants, close to desert areas for geocaching, etc. not to mention, 4 heated pools at our park, so I can swim everyday, a huge variety of craft rooms available to those that want them. Plus Starbucks is only a 5 minute drive from my front door.

It might not be your cup of tea, but no reason to denigrate what others enjoy.

Barb

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

Just call it Corporate camping.

We are with you on that Vern, even though numerically we may not be a majority. We think of the typical "full service" or sometimes called "destination" RV parks as a senior citizen sitting service. They are great for those who like the lifestyle, as many do but far too organized for us. I am sure that they joke about our preferred lifestyle also and I'm not at all offended that they do so. :D

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Organized? No more than at any SKP park. Or is it just that you don't like having a lot of options? No one is ever forced to do anything - some people do a lot, others use it as their base and go explore. Don't understand how having lots of choices is a bad thing?

I am always perplexed by those who have to denigrate (corporate camping, senior citizen sitting service) what they don't like or can't have. Must be awful to feel so unsure of oneself that they have to run down others in order to feel good about their own choices.

Barb

I'm not the one denigrating how others choose to spend their time.

As the pot calls the kettle black......

Dave

Dave, Renee & furkids Casey & Miss Kitty
1998 Volvo 610 Straight 10 "Leather n' Lace"; Herrin bed w/Rampage motorcycle lift; 2010 40' New Horizons Majestic; 2008 Harley FLSTC; 2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited; 1999 Yamaha 4X4 Kodiak (that is NOT with us!)

Did I make any comments on anyone's choice of lifestyle? Just asked why they feel the need to denigrate the lifestyle that others enjoy.

Barb

No.... you did worse.... you denigrated the people directly!

Dave

Dave, Renee & furkids Casey & Miss Kitty
1998 Volvo 610 Straight 10 "Leather n' Lace"; Herrin bed w/Rampage motorcycle lift; 2010 40' New Horizons Majestic; 2008 Harley FLSTC; 2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited; 1999 Yamaha 4X4 Kodiak (that is NOT with us!)

If there are no state / federal parks within a reasonable distance to where we want to visit, then our Corporate Camping Card gets used with every intention to use every amenity we can since we're paying for it...... kinda........ I thought that's what the Membership campgrounds were all about, Coast to Coast, Encore, even PassPort America etc.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Guest Pensauncola

There are tens of thousands of snowbirds in RV parks across the Gulf Coast from Florida to South Texas, Arizona, and California who have no desire to go "camping". Just because they're living in an RV doesn't mean they're camping. They are enjoying a good climate, socializing among others like themselves, daily recreational activities produced and directed by the park, neighborly visits, playing golf, bird watching, etc.

It's not for everybody (myself included) but neither is hopping from State Park to State Park every 14 days or boondocking or Quartzite or whatever. Thank goodness you guys are not all like me.

I find it interesting the OP has not been back on the thread.

Personally, we like the variety out there. We have enjoyed the variety, boondocking in national parks, full hookups in national parks, boondocking in the dessert, other public parks, SKP parks, membership campgrounds, and a variety of commercial campgrounds, including the one Barb is in. They are not all alike and that is good. Right now we are in a commercial campground with a creek behind us, trees, lizards, squirrels, birds, a nature trail with animals and a pond, scheduled activities, great wifi, and a recreation room that my wife uses to cut larger quilting pieces. We are only a few miles from stores, restaurants, and parks with trails and salt water. Being in South Florida, the weather is also warm, so we can enjoy all these things.

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

Then this is a place for you.

attachicon.gifLas Cruces Walmart View.jpg

Thanks - we will be going thru Las Cruces in a couple weeks... We may need an overnight!

Reminds me, when our kids were young, we would pack up the family van in Michigan... and head West for three weeks. I would tell the kids, "First one to spot the Mountains gets $5". Kept them awake, alert, and on their toes.. A good mountain close by always seemed to signify "We're in the West"...which for our family was as good as it comes.

2007 Dolphin

• Safe-T-Plus Steering Bar

Our Blog: Click Here

By the way, if you have pictures or other links to some of those craft rooms etc. I'd like to see them. Perhaps in a new thread or something. I did not know those sort of options existed until you mentioned them.

There are things in some of those parks that we find attractive too like craft rooms and some have a wood-shop. Of course such amenities do come with a price but better facilities & more amenities have to be paid for somewhere.

Right now we are in a commercial campground with a creek behind us, trees, lizards, squirrels, birds, a nature trail with animals and a pond, scheduled activities, great wifi, and a recreation room that my wife uses to cut larger quilting pieces. We are only a few miles from stores, restaurants, and parks with trails and salt water. Being in South Florida, the weather is also warm, so we can enjoy all these things.

But there is no big mountains in Florida over 345' high. :)

Since I'm in Florida I just want to give everyone a heads up. For all you looking to get away to a warm climate, don't come to Miami......were dealing with an unseasonably 81-84 degrees right now. Terrible.....absolutely terrible. And no Mountains to look at. :D

Highest point in the area is 35' above sea level. Average for other many high areas is 20'.

Full Time since Oct. 1999
99 Discovery 34Q DP | ISB
Datastorm | VMSpc | Co-Pilot Live | Pressure Pro
2014 MKS Twin Turbo V6 365 HP Toad
369070033.jpg

Biker56: The nights in the 60s are also terrible. You can comfortably sit outside in the evening and that might cause you to miss a favorite TV show.

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

But there is no big mountains in Florida over 345' high. :)

What do you mean, no mountains in FL? Every national park has to have it's mountain pass and Everglades NP has one too. Here is a picture of that one just to prove it.

rock_reef_pass.jpg

We do it all, and we are grateful for the many options. People that are in the large parks love it there. They are usually snowbirds, and come back every year to be with their winter friends. We don't stay in those places, because we have three dogs; and two is the max at most resorts. We don't camp, but we boondock a lot, and stay in county and NPs. When we are down to two dogs, we may stay in Mesa or Gold Canyon for the winter. Our son and his family live in Chandler.

If I don't like something, I don't have a need to come up with a dismissive term to deal with it. That is what Barb saw, and on this, I agree with her.

Be nice. It is 2015.

Karen

Roger & Karen

Roger USN Captain (retired) submarine service

Karen Captain (retired) pilot

2014 Winnebago Tour 42GD

Toad Chevy Avalanche

Travel six months

At home in coastal Maine six months

Not too far outside Apache Junction is one of my favorite Arizona State Parks - Lost Dutchman. Great view of the Superstition Mountains from most sites:

We really like that one too, but doubt we would in the summertime............ :huh:

What do you mean, no mountains in FL? Every national park has to have it's mountain pass and Everglades NP has one too. Here is a picture of that one just to prove it.

MY Post said "No big Mountains" But I have ridden my Motorcycle through Rock Reef Pass a few times. As it is around 20-25 miles from my winter spot.

Full Time since Oct. 1999
99 Discovery 34Q DP | ISB
Datastorm | VMSpc | Co-Pilot Live | Pressure Pro
2014 MKS Twin Turbo V6 365 HP Toad
369070033.jpg

Not too far outside Apache Junction is one of my favorite Arizona State Parks - Lost Dutchman. Great view of the Superstition Mountains from most sites:

Lost Dutchman is a great spot to get away, especially since most cell phones are unreliable there. Usery Mountain Regional Park in Mesa is also a great spot.

Love that photo of Rock Reef Pass in Everglades NP. I am sure everyone that looks at it has to laugh. Spent two weeks at Flamingo and Lone PIne. Surprised how uncrowded these places were within 60 miles or so of several million people.

There are a number of places to camp around Las Cruces. The State Park at Leasburg Dam north of town is not bad. It overlooks the Rio Grande but it turned out there are a lot of archaeological sites there and they have closed down 3 or 4 sites. Birding is excellent There are half a dozen sites along Baylor Pass Road that are good for a week or so of boondocking: Baylor Pass Trail parking site, turnoffs to Rabbit Ears Canyon and Modoc Mine have some decent sites. You used to be able to camp on the road to the Dona Annas and the road to the Rough and Ready Hills has a lot of possibilities. They closed down the camping at Las Cuevas a few years ago. It was a great place to set up for a few days. All of these are in the Organ Mountains and Desert Peaks National Monument.

And frankly, the more folks that enjoy the RV parks, the more space there is for boondockers/bush campers/whatever. Happily everyone can enjoy the RV lifestyle as they choose to live.

Reed and Elaine

Archived