My "Whisper" has arrived - Was Jack Right on his Advice?

RandyA

After reading about the "Whisper" and Jack's endorsement in another posting, I decided to go shopping. The best price on my short list was from Amazon Prime, so I hit the order button. I figured if it wasn't any good I would send it back and bad mouth Jack on the forum.

Well, it isn't going back and I won't be saying anything bad about Jack's advice.

While I have not gone over the Volvo air system with the tool yet, I did find 3 significant leaks in my shop compressed air system learning how to use the tool, a vacuum leak to the EGR valve on my kit car, the slow leak in a golf cart tire (sidewall crack - bummer), verified no leaks in my fiver propane system, pinpointed some small air leaks around the fiver slides, windows and doors by closing it up and turning on both Fantastic exhaust fans. I am extremely impressed with the tool and have a long list of leak sniffing projects in addition to the Volvo air system in mind. I believe I will finally be able to pinpoint the elusive (slow) air leak in the Volvo, but with my luck it will probably be inside the dash :( .

The unit came in a nice poly case, included Koss headphones and two Duracell D batteries. Extremely easy to use and very sensitive.

You done good on this one, Jack.

post-12482-0-70483900-1478302466_thumb.jpg

300.JPG.c2a50e50210ede7534c4c440c7f9aa80.JPG

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

"The Great White" - 2004 Volvo VNL670, D12, 10-speed, converted to single axle pulling a Keystone Cambridge 5th wheel, 40', 4 slides and about 19,000# with empty tanks.

ARS - WB4BZX, Electrical Engineer, Master Electrician, D.Ed., Professor Emeritus - Happily Retired!

Damn Randy. You've been busy. If you run out of leaks to hunt, feel free to stop by my place anytime :)

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

My son-in-law, who I call Tim Taylor (the tool guy), really "rubbed my nose in it" when he found I had purchased a Whisper a couple years ago. I can't recall all the times it has been used by me, and others, even a HD truck shop mechanic friend. The real kicker was when I was having trouble with a new residential fridge, and the repair tec kept telling me I must have ruptured a line while installing the unit in my RV. The Whisper found a leak in the "new" condenser that was hidden from all inspections. Replaced the condenser at there expense, and all was good. That alone paid for the Whisper, and BTW, soothed my nose. Good tool!!!

Dick T

2006 Volvo VNL 630(VED12 400HP)
10 speed autoshift,3.58 gear 236" twin screw, w/ET, Jackalopee, Blue Dot
2016 Space Craft 37'

Blu/Dot, Dexter 8K triple axel, HD Drum hydraulic brakes

Feather lite air ride
2005 Jeep Rubicon
2007 Suzuki DR 650

Well, Randy, I'm relieved it worked well for you. They are VERY handy little tools and useful in lots are areas you would never think.... :)

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

We used my Whisper yesterday to find a gas leak that did not respond to soapy water..... Nuff said.... :)

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

As a severely hearing impaired person, my only complaint is the headphones. I would like to have headphones that "cup" my ears so that ambient noise is blocked out. Also, I would like the headphones to amplify the whisper signal, with a volume adjust on the earphones. I cannot wear hearing aids and headphones because the headphones cause "feedback" squelch to the hearing aids.

Any suggestions for a good set of compatible headphones?

KOSS has a lot of different style headphones. I have a set of these that completely cover my ears and are very comfortable - I use them with my metal detector. My only complaint is they make my ears sweat when it is hot outside. Just check out all the different style and brand headphones available on Amazon to get an idea. For amplification maybe a device like this one would help. There are also several listings for headphones that have built-in amplification but I can't say good or bad as to how well they would work for you. The audio plug on the headphones that come with the Whisper is a standard 1/8" two ring mini style like this one.

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

"The Great White" - 2004 Volvo VNL670, D12, 10-speed, converted to single axle pulling a Keystone Cambridge 5th wheel, 40', 4 slides and about 19,000# with empty tanks.

ARS - WB4BZX, Electrical Engineer, Master Electrician, D.Ed., Professor Emeritus - Happily Retired!

Yes, check the Koss and Bose lines. I had a pair of Bose headphones that I used with another brand of leak detector back in the boat building days. Instead of listening for air escaping the system, we were finding vacuum leaks in laminate infusion bags.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

I wonder if Rent-all store have a Whisper unit? It would be much cheaper to rent one for a day,

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

I have a couple of sets of bluetooth headsets which have small BT transmitter's that I think will plug into the Whisper. You then would have more freedom with no wires attached to the wireless headphones. :) One of the BT headsets are Sony over the ear with volume control that may work for you Jim.

:) One of the BT headsets are Sony over the ear with volume control that may work for you Jim.

Rick:

Thanks. Wireless would be great. I am always hooking the wire on something. Do you have a model number for the Sony.

BTW - One of the items on my "to do" list is to write the maker and ask about a compatible, over the ear headset for hearing aid wearers. Now, I will include BT.

For the normal hearing people,I have to remove my hearing aids, with over the ear headsets because the hearing aids will make an annoying "feedback" sound. And, the microphone for my hearing aids are above my ears. The headset, for the whisper, has to be used without my hearing aids. Amplified, over the ear headsets would be great and BT would be fantastic.

I am also going to check into externally amplified, over the ears, BT headsets for metal detectors. I am guessing that there are lot of old dudes, like me, use metal detectors for gold prospecting.

I will try and check this out on the weekend. My truck is stored for the season. I use BT transmitter/receivers on different things around the house. My only concern may be some frequency interference with your hearing aids....which I can not test. Even though my DW says I don't alway hear her. ;) This is an idea that I have had and the Whisper is very sensitive so it may also be affected by RF frequency of the BT signal. I will let you know how it works out. The headphones I have are very old and have worked great. I haven't looked at new ones in that line in years. I also use a few of these for sending music from different audio devices to BT speakers or headphones around the yard and garage. Here are the newer Sony models but there are many OTE headphone on places like Amazon for a lot less money.

cdceaa71-4bad-4885-9114-705fc63ea4b3.jpg

I spent some time a couple of days ago sniffing around the engine compartment with the engine running. In particular, I was looking for any leak around the exhaust manifold and turbo as well as the air lines under the hood. Even with head phones there was too much ambient noise to locate a specific leak. I KNOW I have a small exhaust leak in the area of the EGR Valves and manifold - I can see black soot that comes from the leak. I could not pinpoint the leak. Perhaps it only occurs when the engine is loaded, EGR valves are functioning or the turbo spinning up. If so, it will be back to removing some parts so I can get a closer look hoping to determine the soot source.

On another thread Carl responded to a post on charging the air system from an external compressor. Apparently Charlie (sclord2000) discovered that the fitting on the metal pipe that runs from the D12 engine truck compressor down the left side on the way to the dryer is actually the same as the high side fitting on a R134a air conditioner system. Carl had found a fitting that would connect to the port on the steel line and then connect to his air compressor. I looked last night for the item to no avail so I ended up ordering a pair of quick connect fittings thinking I will shade tree engineer a transition fitting to connect to my air compressor which, by the way, has a HDT dryer coming off the compressor so I have really dry air. I will follow their lead to charge up the air system and keep it charged to 100 psi without worry about starting and stopping the truck engine. I have some wheel ramps I made some time ago from solid pieces of 8" x 8" PT wood with a couple of 2" x 8" boards feathered onto the bottom. This allows me to run the front wheels (safely) up on the ramps resulting in a 10-1/2" lift so I can easily scoot around under the truck for inspection and maintenance. I always block the rear wheels in both directions as an added safety precaution. The ground under my 16' x 40' camper car port is gravel - not a good scooting surface even if it is the best place to work on the truck. So, I have two 20' x 6' rolls of (used) thick pile carpet that I can cover the gravel with that make it comfortable to move under the truck. I've found the carpet works better than plywood sheets for an under-surface. I don't like to pull the truck up on the blacktop part of the driveway unless absolutely necessary due to it's weight.

Well, not to belabor the story and make one go to sleep with all the drivel ........ when we get back to the Ranch (brick & mortar place) Saturday I will get things together to begin the Whisper scanning on all the air lines, air bags and brake cans under the truck in hopes of finding the leak(s) that bring the air pressure from 100 psi down to 20 psi when the truck sits overnight. What is interesting and perhaps a clue to the source of my main leak is the system will not drop below 20 psi even after days of sitting. The air bags also stay fully inflated. So, whatever is leaking only does so when pressure is above 20 psi. I will let you know how it goes and what I find.

post-12482-0-94276200-1478799034_thumb.jpg

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

My only concern may be some frequency interference with your hearing aids....which I can not test.

I do NOT wear my hearing aids when in the shop. Sweat destroys the electronics ($4,000 destroyed). Ask me how I know? :angry: I always use the Whisper detector. without wearing my hearing aids. And, therein lies the problem.

Even though my DW says I don't alway hear her.

If you wear hearing aids, you always have the excuse that you did not hear the DW. :rolleyes:

Randy,

The pic I sent you is Charlie's connector. Mine is exactly the same. Just a male quick connect with extra Teflon tape. Threads don't exactly match up but it will cinch down enough not to leak. I then have mine on a yellow coiled air hose which connects to my pancake.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Randy,

The pic I sent you is Charlie's connector. Mine is exactly the same. Just a male quick connect with extra Teflon tape. Threads don't exactly match up but it will cinch down enough not to leak. I then have mine on a yellow coiled air hose which connects to my pancake.

Gotcha :). I'm going to have a serious talk with Charlie about keeping secrets. I thought the pic you sent me via the smart phone was ready made as shown - no wonder I couldn't find it! Anyways, what I ordered along with some of that Teflon tape should be fine. I moved the photo of the adapter you shared to the thumbnail below. Thanks again for the heads up.

post-12482-0-41320600-1478833346_thumb.jpg

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

While at the HDT-WC Rally, Chad shared this tool set with us. This tool set may make removing push-to-fit tubing easier.

http://www.lislecorp.com/divisions/products/?product=548

I also spray Aero Kroil, on the fittings, to loosen the collets. I have a "snow" truck and things tend to get stuck together.

http://www.kanolabs.com/google/?gclid=COSFw4zboNACFQoPaQod0RQNVg

Archived