Direct LInk - Emergency Stop

Brad NSW

First long trip (San Diego to Driggs Idaho and back).  

Coming out of St. George Utah, on the interstate, going downhill at 65MPH w/Cruise on in slow lane.

Rounded a bend and  semi driver is running at me waving arms.  Hit the brakes to slow and around the corner, there is a wreck blocking slow lane.

Step on brakes hard and truck/trailer stop extremely fast!  Look in the rear view and the trailer tires were smoking, they'd locked up and left a good 50yd black streak.

Checked the trailer suspension, hitch and smart tie downs real good.

Had the Direct Link on 4 for heavy trailers.  Adjusted it down to 2, then tried another emergency stop and no smoking trailer tires.

Ronbo - you were absolutely right, 4 was to high but it's nice to know the disc brake kit I put on the trailer works well!

Looked like a small passenger car had been clipped by (or clipped) a semi and spun out.  It was blocking the slow lane and semi was pulled over blocking right shoulder.

This is exactly the situation I bought the HDT for.  Had 3 similar ones with the dodge 1 ton and the trailer was in charge, so luckily I had room to steer through cause there was no way we were stopping.  In this case, we stopped with lots of room to spare!👍:D 

2094790416_NewHorizonsmall.jpg.b597b886c0fa2457938fb2cfe3e6cd0b.jpg

2010 Freightliner, DD15 Eaton Ultrashift, 2015 New Horizons 5th Wheel.

Occupants - Dena/Brad/Hershey    BLOG LINK

500964784_statemapDec2020.jpg.66ea16945a2c1c745783b95e33e702c9.jpg

Using the cruise on long downhill stretches the the main reason I bought an HDT.  The "brake cruise", automatic application of the engine brake, is the major selling point I was after. 

Being able to keep the truck and trailer under control is what an HDT is all about.

Av8r3400
2012 Volvo VNL 730 D13 iShift & 2021 Grand Design Momentum 397TH

TEq81qV.jpg

I'd rather die trying to live - Than live trying not to die.   -Leonard Perry

8 hours ago, Sehc said:

Down hill using cruise control is not suggested practice.

Why?  Even on a straight downhill?

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Cruise on an HDT is like magic.  It keeps the speed under control nicely, just like going up the hill.  If anything, I feel it's safer to leave it on while descending.  I've yet to need to touch the brakes going down a hill in the lower 48, but I've not traveled much in the east.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

We just arrived in Mesa, Az this afternoon. Coming down the hill out of peyson, I put the trans in hold, not the button to shift into 9th. Going down 6% grades only had to lightly apply brakes a few times on easy grade. An 18wheeler ahead of me was smoking his brakes bad. I went around on an uphill and left him behind. I would not want to be the next operator of that rig.

Ron C.

2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3

2000 Kenworth T2000 Optimus Prime

14 hours ago, Sehc said:

Down hill using cruise control is not suggested practice.

On an interstate? So are you suggesting that its ok to use the cruise on the way up that hill but should turn it off for the trip back down? 
An HDT with the cruise is not like a car or an LGT which will allow a vehicle to gain speed when going downhill. I just ran from Houston to Weatherford. OK and the cruise was only turned off when I stepped on the brake. After traffic picked up speed the cruise was back on, and stayed on up and down hill.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

I set it and forget it , use the Jake on the 5-6% grades going from Ohio to NC. don't normally need to go to manual to downshift.. One quick question I just thought of... Can I downshift from 10th to 9th in " auto " mode ? or do I have to go to manual first. (this is a two pedal ) 

Denver and Ms Judy Geitgey

2006 VOLVO 780

41 ' Redwood

NTPA Event Announcer

dngeitgey@gmail.com

event.png

I set it and forget it , use the Jake on the 5-6% grades going from Ohio to NC. don't normally need to go to manual to downshift.. One quick question I just thought of... Can I downshift from 10th to 9th in " auto " mode ? or do I have to go to manual first. (this is a two pedal ) 

No I haven't tried selecting low. I'm afraid I might throw a code and then That presents a whole new set of problems. I normally go to manual first and then to 9th ( depending on rpm's }

Denver and Ms Judy Geitgey

2006 VOLVO 780

41 ' Redwood

NTPA Event Announcer

dngeitgey@gmail.com

event.png

Archived