A good GPS unit?

bdunc

There are. Both Rand-McNally and Garmin make them. I use a Garmin RV770 LMT. You set it up with the size and height of your RV. 

There may be others as well as the two I mention but those are the ones that I'm familiar with.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

3 minutes ago, Kirk Wood said:

There are. Both Rand-McNally and Garmin make them. I use a Garmin RV770 LMT. You set it up with the size and height of your RV. 

There may be others as well as the two I mention but those are the ones that I'm familiar with.

Thanks Kirk.  Is the Garmin accurate, keeps you out of trouble?  

It is possible to add low bridge data to any regular GPS.  There is a company called Low Clearance POI that offers this data:

http://www.lowclearances.com/

Note that they CLAIM to have far more data than you get from the special RV units.  They say they have more than 7,000 bridges and overpasses listed for the US, and that the RV ones only have 1500 or so.

Regards

John

DON'T FEED THE VULTURES!

My Body is a Temple!  Ancient, Crumbling, Probably Cursed . . .

I Don't Like to Make Advanced Plans.  They Cause the Word "PREMEDITATED" to Get Thrown Around in Court!

MyMapS.jpg

Google maps will do it and can be on your phone, tablet, or laptop screen. Here is a video on how to use it on your devices for RV travel: Google Maps for RV

I owned several Garmins and earlier used Delorme mapping, but they always got out of date seemingly overnight. Google Maps keeps updated on their end, cost nothing, and are always there if you have a cell signal or Wifi.

Watch the video above in the link.

Safe travels!

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

I have used the Garmin RV760LMT (superceded by the 770) for several years now and found to to be an outstanding unit. Not only does it do a good job of routing, it has excellent lane diagrams as you approach exits, splits, etc. and gives you a useful heads-up regarding what lane(s) to be in as you approach. 

I've not had an issue with the maps becoming out of date, and my unit receives free map upgrades for life. The map updates are available about twice a year. I like the dedicated GPS unit, and it doesn't require any type of cellular or wifi access to work. 

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

Mine is a Garmin dezl 560 LMT.  The LM stands for Lifetime Maps and you must update maps, using your computer, at least once a year to keep that feature. If you miss a year, I've heard they will charge you for future updates. I've had mine since 2008 and am still updating it for free. The T stands for Traffic which means it will route you around road closures or places where traffic is experiencing a major  slowdown. We've had that happen and we arrived about 30 minutes ahead of the rest of the people attending that gathering who followed our usual route. I also enter height and weight of the RV so it knows where else not to route me.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

We use the ALK CoPilot RV application on a large tablet.  The cost is less than a height knowledgeable GPS like the Gamin RV.  It uses a road database from a major trucking application.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

10 hours ago, bdunc said:

Is the Garmin accurate, keeps you out of trouble?  

It is so long as you get the free updates regularly. There is a free application for your computer and you just connect the GPS to the computer while connected to wifi and it will check to see if you are current. I make a practice of checking mine at least quarterly. 

11 hours ago, bdunc said:

Is there such a thing as a GPS for RVs?  One that will keep you away from low bridges and hairpin turns, etc. 

We purchased a Rand McNally 7720 back in 2011 or 2012 and have been getting free updates and using it every since.  We also keep the OEM GPS running that came built in to our current RV while traveling.  Both are set for our height, weight, width, number of axles, and length.

Some RV GPS units come with free lifetime updates and some don't.  However, just like any GPS they are never 100% accurate.  Every year, or whenever they come out, I purchase a Trucker's Atlas.  The non-laminated version is only a few dollars at most large truck stops.  It is always up to date and easy to use.  For example, we are traveling a little over 400 miles today through Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, and into Kentucky.  Last night I checked for any low clearances along our route using the atlas.  It took about 5 minutes.

Joe & Cindy

Newmar 4369 Ventana

Pulling 24' enclosed (Mini Cooper, Harley, 2 Kayaks)

11 hours ago, RV_ said:

Google maps will do it and can be on your phone, tablet, or laptop screen. Here is a video on how to use it on your devices for RV travel: Google Maps for RV

I owned several Garmins and earlier used Delorme mapping, but they always got out of date seemingly overnight. Google Maps keeps updated on their end, cost nothing, and are always there if you have a cell signal or Wifi.

Watch the video above in the link.

Safe travels!

Great link, thanks RV. 

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

We tried using an app on the phone but do not like it for many reasons. I don't like the very large phones so my GPS has a much larger screen than my phone and it also does many things for me that the phone would not. 

14 hours ago, Optimistic Paranoid said:

It is possible to add low bridge data to any regular GPS.  There is a company called Low Clearance POI that offers this data:

Note that they CLAIM to have far more data than you get from the special RV units.  They say they have more than 7,000 bridges and overpasses listed for the US, and that the RV ones only have 1500 or so.

thanks for providing this.  price is $45 for lifetime USA for this service.  the Garmin GPS was less than $100.  We have a smaller RV but may option for it anyway.  Cheap insurance and we certainly do not want to be stuck trying to turn around.  7000 waypoints is nothing to ignore as a good option.  Plus my Garmin GPS already has updated lifetime maps free, so adding the waypoints to allow a routing corrections should be fine.  Did need to add a 10 gig memory card ($10) to the GPS to allow the waypoints to upload.  Will try it out and see if it all works for route planning and avoiding waypoints (not finding them).  Really good discussion.    

9 hours ago, lappir said:

Great link, thanks RV. 

YW! But do look at the clearance POI to add to it if it checks out. Some red-flags so far.

21 hours ago, Optimistic Paranoid said:

That link that optimistic paranoid linked to might be perfect because it can be added to PCs, Google maps and Earth as well as iOS and Android.

However I have noticed that their website reviews are all 2010 and older, and the Escapees article is also from 2010. I have to ask Paranoid do you have this and used it? Or just searched for it. I don't doubt it but the old reviews and the unknown actual address is not on the website. There is no address or direct email for the company anywhere I could find but at the bottom of that 2010 Escapees article from 2010 here https://gadgetbox.escapees.com/safety/route1-poi-database/

It shows the company as:

LowClearances.com | 16 Broad Close | Barford St Michael, Banbury, GB | 44-186-933-7618 | http://www.lowclearances.com | mail@lowclearances.com

I have emailed them to ask which version they are on now using the email above. I checked Whois database and it was renewed early this year but zero info on who to contact.

Has anyone actually bought and used lowclearances.com? If so how often have they updated it with a new version and do they give customer service email and or phone support?

I really want it to be legit, but it is done with these guys listed at the bottom of their website:

https://www.jpelemental.com/Mission.html

jp elemental answers "who are we" with this from the above website:

Who are you?

We are a private group of business leaders, owners, and advisers providing expertise, advice, and solutions for small online businesses that we identify as having longevity and potential. Learn more.

I am maybe a little too leery when a company wants complete anonymity from their customers, the "news" on their website is 10 years out of date. Also if you click some links they shoot you out to a generic Google search.

I'll see if the email is bounced or answered. I also used the form to ask what version they are on because they have versions that do not work with some devices, but they don't have the current version listed on the website. Go to this page and be sure you have a device that is compatible here: http://www.lowclearances.com/functionality.html

Adding it to my Phone Google maps which it says it is compatible with is ideal, as well with tablets. So I am not trying to knock it down until I hear from some users.

But until I do find some with first hand experience of the lowcelarances,com database, I would suggest you take the advice of the other folks as Google maps does not show clearances.

According to these guys from 2015 lowclearances just dings with no re-routing ahead of time like the other trucker and RV mapping programs do:

https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/28539740/print/true.cfm

I did 7 years of fulltiming before there were smart phones 1997-2003. There were no tablets as they exist now either. I did pay close attention to bridge clearances and only once had my wife spot me through. We made it too. So I'll just stick to my Android phones with 5.5" screens and Windows Surface Pro 3, and 4 tablets with 13" screens, and use Google maps and whatever current Windows compatible mapping program.

BTW, you can download an area to your Android device so if there is little cell coverage in an area. I used Delorme Streets and Maps with their first Earthmate dash GPS before they made the GPS satellites usable by other than military that could descramble the intentional inaccuracies out. We've come a long way since.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

34 minutes ago, RV_ said:

That link that optimistic paranoid linked to might be perfect because it can be added to PCs, Google maps and Earth as well as iOS and Android.

However I have noticed that their website reviews are all 2010 and older, and the Escapees article is also from 2010. I have to ask Paranoid do you have this and used it? Or just searched for it. I don't doubt it but the old reviews and the unknown actual address is not on the website. There is no address or direct email for the company anywhere I could find but at the bottom of that 2010 Escapees article from 2010 here https://gadgetbox.escapees.com/safety/route1-poi-database/

I haven't used it.  It's just a resource I have flagged in my bookmarks.  For an Alaskan Camper on back of a pick up, low clearances aren't really a problem I need to be personally concerned about.

Regards

John

DON'T FEED THE VULTURES!

My Body is a Temple!  Ancient, Crumbling, Probably Cursed . . .

I Don't Like to Make Advanced Plans.  They Cause the Word "PREMEDITATED" to Get Thrown Around in Court!

MyMapS.jpg

John,

Thanks for letting us know. Since they are in the UK and there are no names on their website or their affiliate, I'd hold off on ordering until we hear from current or past users.

I would like to hear about it from anyone who has. I will post back here if they answer either the form I filled out or the email I sent to the address on that 2010 Escapees article.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

I just purchased the Garmin 770 a few months ago. It is great. Besides navigation tailored to your RV and avoiding low underpasses it can direct you around toll roads, search for rest stops, fuel, and campgrounds etc. It is also a Bluetooth for your phone. The only negitive I have found is the one hour battery life. I have to keep it plugged into a 12v receptacle while traveling. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

Had my first major objection to my RV Rand McNally last week. I was using the GPS in car in Eastern MD. The GPS was often slow in updating the display. With the congestion of streets it appeared to tell turns, which I would do (which was the correct action) and immediately show that I was to turn again in one or two hundred feet (wrong).

Never had that problem in middle America so now I'm saying both Rand Mcnally and Garmin has there limitations

Study the maps before driving into unknown areas if length over 23 feet especially

Clay

Clay & Marcie Too old to play in the snow

Diesel pusher and previously 2 FW and small Class C

7 minutes ago, ms60ocb said:

Study the maps before driving into unknown areas if length over 23 feet especially

With any GPS or other guidance devices, you still need to use common sense and good judgment. Remember the news stories about people who followed a GPS into the desert or into a mountain snowstorm! 

And there are stories of idiots who do the same thing without a GPS.  Your point?

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

I have a Garmin DEZL 770 Trucker GPS. I like better than the Rand McNally because, IMO,

the touch screen is more responsive. As far as navigating, they both do a, sometimes,

reasonable job. I think it depends so what on where you are. As an example, I was recently

in Yakima, WA. The directions there were horrible. ie: having 2 lanes exiting the freeway and

the GPS telling you to use either when you really NEED to be in the left most exit lane. Or

having you take a right turn, a left turn and a left turn to go around the block when you could

have just used the left turn lane to begin with. And a few times not getting turn information

until you've already entered an intersection.

As many have said, you really need to do your homework, and not rely solely on the GPS.

All the complaining aside they are a very nice tool to have.

Just like the DW, she has her faults but I don't plan on getting rid of her.

Ha Ha Ha, she doesn't read this forum, so I should be safe. :)

Kim and Betsy

2017 F450 Lariat

2017 Arctic Fox 35-5Z

Archived